ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED sidelights causing electrical fault

Arctic 182
Afternoon all

I recently bought some LED sidelights to replace the normal yellow-ish sidelights. Got them fitted and working no problem.

Started a journey, got about 10 miles down the road and the dashboard warning lights all lit up and the engine came to a stop. Went to start it up again and it would start, tick over for a couple of seconds then cut out again.

Pulled over and took out the sidelight bulbs, but was still having the same problem - until about 10 minutes later I tried the ignition again and it started and worked fine. I've driven it 150 miles back to Manchester now with no sidelights in place at all (I know most people say this looks best anyway) and it hasn't missed a beat, so I can only assume that the sidelights were the problem...

Anyone know why they would have caused the engine to react in this way? It confuses me that I managed to get so far before it cut out, and then nothing... previous experience/fixes welcome, i'm happy enough with no sidelights, but if I can get them in and working then great

Cheers

RFB

BG 182 FF
I read somewhere that because the LED's have reduced resistance it can produce an error message when installed. Something to do with the CANBUS system i think, the way around it apparently is to install a resistor to simulate the higher power of a standard filament bulb, hope this can get you started on how to fix your problem.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
The Clio does not have the "bulb out" warning as far as I know so it's unlikely to be that.

Arctic 182
Yeah I've heard about installing a resistor, I thought this was just to get them to work properly in the first place though... when they were first put in all was fine and working as it should be

Also everything is working fine now too without any sidelight bulb in place at all

Electrics confuse me!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The Clio does not have the "bulb out" warning as far as I know so it's unlikely to be that.

Correct, the problem is likely to be something else that you've disturbed as the Clio II was still K-Line rather than multiwire Can-Bus. Have you had it plugged in to see what's causing the lights to come on?

Arctic 182
does it work with the original bulbs?

Yes the original bulbs have been in place since I got the car, I've not tried replacing them yet as it's running ok with no sidelights in place, and it looks better without the orangey candles next to the xenons

I can't see some sidelights causing the engine to stop but i may be wrong.

Yeah this was my initial thought, although I've had no problems up until putting the LED sidelights in, and no problems since taking them out...

Correct, the problem is likely to be something else that you've disturbed as the Clio II was still K-Line rather than multiwire Can-Bus. Have you had it plugged in to see what's causing the lights to come on?

Sorry Mic, this goes way over my head - it's not been on a diagnostics computer since the problem this morning if that's what you mean.

clio 182 'full fat'
i have a 182, put l.e.d sidelights in with no problems, dont think the electrics are connected and could possible cause this.
either uve knocked something when youve changed the bulbs or its just a complete coincidence.
let me know how you get on ill be interested to know

Arctic 182
I'll try putting them in again and see how I get on… won't be until later on in the week though as I need the car to be working