ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Legal Help

Hi,

Needing major help on a legal matter.

My mrs bought a car privately, after i spoke to the bloke there and had a look round she went back and bought it, cash in hand.

Now when i was speakin to him he said it was mechnically sound and there were no problems with the engine, i asked him if there were any problems at all and he said there are no problems.

Took the car out today and it started konkin out, went to a garage and the manifold was cracked and the brake servo pipe was stuck in with glue which was causing the engine to loose pressure and the brakes to lose power, this was very dangerous as if it had come out we would of had no brakes.

The MOT was done in january and the MOT report says nuffin of a crack of fault with the brake system.

Now the legal part, either the bloke we bought it off, the bloke he bought it off in march or the MOT place are lying. As it would definatley be an MOT failure so could only be those 3 people.

I noticed that the tester might have also been the 2nd previous owner so could have forged the MOT which obviously is highly illegal or the 1st geezer is lying and sold us a highly dangerous car and lied about problems with the engine.

Were gettin a mechnics report, going to the MOT centre, getting the AA to inspect the car so have all the legal gargen

What is my legal place?

Mondeo STTDCI

Your probably f**ked mate.

IF the MOT tester IS the owner before last, then I would think there is a good chance of getting police to act or investigate. They MAY drop around and have a chat with him but there is NO evidence. So he gets off.

The seller you bought it from either knows the MOT tester guy or bought a dud and sold it on. Just like you will probably have to.

Please everyone BEWARE of this kind of thing. A simple look at the registration docs will show u how often a car has changed hands. 3 times in the last 5 months is not a good sign.

Further, check the garage out on the old MOT. A bit of research will save you a lot of heartache in the future.

Its easy to say in hindsight but these are simple things and youll know for next time mate. Did you get a reciept out of interest?

Whenever i sell a car "SOLD AS SEEN" goes on the reciept.

Renault Laguna Coupe

^^^ hes right, in all probabililty. Caveat Emptor is the latin legal phrase - let the buyer beware - in English.

go to citizens advice bureau and ask them for any help - it can quite often be worth it - dunno if it will be in this case though.

Unfortunatly his words arent worth the paper they were written on!

Zero comeback!

Sold as seen can only be used bt a private seller and not by a trade seller - illegal.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

yeh i had a problem with my 1st car.. R176 JRW 306 (dont buy it!)

was written off b4 id bought it and repaird quite dodgilly. my dad was really annoyed, seeing as he used to do alot of work on cars and didnt do a proper check. we didnt even do a hpi check on it- ahh well, our fault i spose.