ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lenses from eBay

Specifically China etc. Anyone bought one?

I want a Sigma 10-20mm. Now I should have bought it around Christmas time when the prices were the same on eBay as it is on Jessops, but I didnt..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigma-10-20mm...s=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigma-10-20mm...s=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Both have epic amounts of good feedback, but then there's the warranty issues. Am I likely to have problems?

If the difference was minimal then I'd just go to Jessops, but its £150 more! Thats another lens/flash! lol..

mk5 fiesta zetec s
i have got some stuff from china before not all camera related but it has all been top noch. only thing is it takes around a week or two for it to come.

A4 Avant
I nearly purchased my 10-20 from HK but ended up going with Jessops. It's too much to pay for the risk of further problems if it's faulty or not sharp.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I bought a 55-200 from a HK ebay shop, no problems at all and saved around 40 quid.

Bought from HK before - had to pay import duty, but it still worked out cheaper than UK - I image the 2nd one at £350 is not worth it as you may get stung for tax and it would only work out around £20 cheaper than warehouse express (£399)

Or £380 from this one on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigma-10-20-m...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Hmmm, for an extra £20 I think I'd rather buy from WE. £400 tho!

riads after 1, How much are they in jessops?

£480!! It was £300 at Christmas! :(

I nearly purchased my 10-20 from HK but ended up going with Jessops. It's too much to pay for the risk of further problems if it's faulty or not sharp.

Thats what worries me. Maybe its worth paying the extra and getting it from a UK company.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I was going to pick up a 70-200mm F/4L from B&H in the USA. As far as I can work out it would be £100 cheaper than from the UK (working off Google converter), but it's an 'import' item already, so I don't quite know how that works. I think most of the time it's safer to save up for a few more weeks and stick with what you know.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
i have bought a lens from ebay in the USA and a studio lighting kit from china. both were pretty good, i didnt have to pay any import tax, one of the studio lights did develop a fault which meant i had to pay £40 to post it back to them in order for them to replace it. Other than that it has been fine. bear in mind that if your are ordering new lenses most come with a manufacturers warrenty so if you bought it from HK or china you could still send it to the sigma UK repair centre etc.

Ive bought my D200, 24-70mm, 18-200mm, 100-300mm, 12-24mm and my SB800 from ebay HK shops.
No fuss, each one was an easy and safe process. Pretty fast delivery considering....and its a hell of a lot cheaper too!!

Ian

Focus TDCi
i have bought a lens from ebay in the USA and a studio lighting kit from china. both were pretty good, i didnt have to pay any import tax, one of the studio lights did develop a fault which meant i had to pay £40 to post it back to them in order for them to replace it. Other than that it has been fine. bear in mind that if your are ordering new lenses most come with a manufacturers warrenty so if you bought it from HK or china you could still send it to the sigma UK repair centre etc.

So what should we be looking for in the eBay advert? That the item has a manufacturers warranty?

And if buying from B&H does this mean that it has only a B&H warranty and not Canon?:
"Items marked "IMP" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "IMP" products do not qualify for manufacturer's rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself."

koi

Audi S1
I want to get a 50mm prime but the exchange rate to HK$ is pretty poor at the moment :dapprove:

So what should we be looking for in the eBay advert? That the item has a manufacturers warranty?

And if buying from B&H does this mean that it has only a B&H warranty and not Canon?:
"Items marked "IMP" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "IMP" products do not qualify for manufacturer's rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself."

I think it means if you send a lens bought from China to the UK repair centre, they'll tell you to jog on.

So it would have to go back to B&H.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I think it means if you send a lens bought from China to the UK repair centre, they'll tell you to jog on.

Nicely put.. I think you're right though. :) I suppose it's a case of whether it's worth it, they seem to have a good reputation. Need to get something sorted for my 21st.

Having a look through the forums for a 10-20mm for you, but struggling.

Cheers dude. They seem to go really quickly :( All the ones on Talk Photography are sold, same as on AVF.

Might just bite the bullet and buy it from WE. At least then if I do have any problems, I havent got the hassle of sending it back to the other side of the world..

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers dude. They seem to go really quickly :( All the ones on Talk Photography are sold, same as on AVF.

Might just bite the bullet and buy it from WE. At least then if I do have any problems, I havent got the hassle of sending it back to the other side of the world..

Yeah that's what I'm finding too, time to bite the bullet I think, like you say. I knew I should've bought one at Christmas when they were cheap but everyone laughed at me for considering getting three lenses at the same time as my camera. :eek:

Time to get selling some car parts I think lol!

koi

Audi S1

Well I have lots of family over there so if things do need to go back for warranty I could always post it back over to someone there to take care of it. Pretty new to this but do you often get problems with lens??

A4 Avant
I've sent a lense back to the manufacture (80-200 f2.8) from new as it was soft. Also a guy at work sent his Canon 18-85 f4 back. Both were done free of charge and came back perfect.

It's bad enough when I have problems with items bought in this country having to deal with someone half way across the globe would just not be worth the saving.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I like to be able to take it back to the shop if there are any problems, but can't really see any issues ordering from HK, only within the first 28 days would be an issue, becuase either you don't want it or it's faulty your going to have to send it back to the supplier, but anything after 28 days I imagine it goes directly to Nikon which would be the same procedure no matter where you buy from, I might be talking s**t though.

- Ben

1.2 Dynamique billabong
it depends on the ebay advert mate, the lens i bought came with a 7 year international warrenty so i can just send it to canon UK if it goes wrong and i saved about £200 on the rrp. that was about 2 years ago though

Yeh, that one says 12month warranty with them.

£50 saving from the far east and risk it being soft/faulty and then deal with sending it back or pay £50 more and get it from a well known UK company..

Hmmm.

Ian

Focus TDCi
If I were earning money I know I would wait a few weeks, but maybe that's just me. :)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
yeah £50 isnt that much of a difference especially as there is always the chance of having to pay import tax.

i only ordered mine from the states as i saved £200 so that made it worth it

1.2 Dynamique billabong
  Fiat Panda 100hp
Best bet Dan is to keep an eye on TalkPhotography in the sale section. Have some good deals on there. TBH I'm tempted to sell my 10-20...

koi

Audi S1
Have just joined Talk Photography, I'll be lost for hours having a look at all the guides...

this site is usefull, i forgot about it earlier, it lists the best price at the moment and shows the rrp change over the years.

http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Sigma_10-20mm_f4-5.6_EX_DC_HSM_pc.html

it shows this shop in the UK (i checked the contact details on the site and its based in yorkshire)as cheapest, £373.99 new inc postage compared to jessops which is £479

http://www.martinscamerashop.co.uk/sigma-10-20mm-f4-56-ex-dc-hsm-335-p.asp

:approve:

I checked there, but they don't do Nikon fit Sigma lenses, the one you linked to does both. Ordered :D

I owe you a beer! lol..

Best bet Dan is to keep an eye on TalkPhotography in the sale section. Have some good deals on there. TBH I'm tempted to sell my 10-20...

I'm too impatient to wait :eek: