ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lens query.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking at buying a new lens at the moment. Apart from my kit 18-55mm I have a Sigma 10-20mm.

I want a lens with a bit more zoom, and don't have a big budget.

I have seen a really good offer at Jacobs for the Sigma 50-200mm for £99 in the sale at the moment.

I was all set on buying it, until I had another thought - possibly sell my kit 18-55mm and buy a Sigma 18-200mm.

Which would be the better option? Obviously there would be the ease of only having one lens, but would that come at any loss of anything else?

Thanks in advance :)

edit: The two lenses in question:

55-200 : http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-37689-jacobs-digital-sigma-50-200mm-f4-56-dc-os-hsm-nikon-fit.aspx
18-200 : http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-38642-jacobs-digital-sigma-18-200mm-f35-63-dc-nikon-fit.aspx

Interesting thread... My next camera purchase is a toss up between a new lens that fits your spec or a flashgun. Will keep an eye on this for feedback!

"Navy" N17 TWO
The 70-300 is great, never had it off the camera last night :)

Anyone had a longer lens on a Nikon though?

Cupra
If you are not fussed about image quality (colours, contrast and sharpness) then the 18-200 is an ideal lens for a walkabout. One of our family friends uses one and is perfectly happy with the results, but she only looks at photos on the computer screen and prints them 10x15cm. That's not to say that the pictures will be s**t, just that they wont be as nice to look at as photos from a more job specific lens.

A while back I used the worst zoom lens in the Canon range as a last resort (Canon 75-300mm) and although the photos weren't that pretty out of the camera, with a bit of adjustment in Lightroom they were perfectly usable.

Cupra
If you are not fussed about image quality (colours, contrast and sharpness) then the 18-200 is an ideal lens for a walkabout. One of our family friends uses one and is perfectly happy with the results, but she only looks at photos on the computer screen and prints them 10x15cm. That's not to say that the pictures will be s**t, just that they wont be as nice to look at as photos from a more job specific lens.

A while back I used the worst zoom lens in the Canon range as a last resort (Canon 75-300mm) and although the photos weren't that pretty out of the camera, with a bit of adjustment in Lightroom they were perfectly usable.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

What about the Nikon 55-200 VR?

Can highly recommend for a cheap zoom TBH!

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=2643

What Nikon have you got? The 18-200 Sigma you listed does not have HSM so will not auto focus on anything but D90 upwards.

I had looked at this lens yes, and it does look good!
The issue that's still in my mind is the changing of lenses for a walkabout (sounds lazy, I know). I do quite a bit of travelling, and therefore I did want something that would cover close range and also zoom situations all in one. The 18-200 would do that. The post by AndyRS has got me thinking though...

Yeah think that has a micro motor rather than HSM - AF will not be as fast but probably not noticeable! Only issue may be with Image stabilization if you need to use a slower shutter speed.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Is there a longer zoom than 300mm out for the Nikon's without going for a Teleconverter? :)

57 Clio Campus Sport
Been keeping an eye on this thread, got my D90 with an 18-55mm and looking for something bigger. I looked at the Nikon 18-200mm when buying and as GCD stated, I also found reviews that it's kind of decent at a lot but not great at anything.

Any suggestions for a more specific range nearer the top end (200/300)

The links posted seem to be much cheaper than the ones I've been seeing, are these older versions of these lenses?

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ Anyone experienced these lenses in terms of how quick/sharp they are, and will they autofocus? :)