ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lepsons Alloy Wheel Refurbishers - Kent

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
image.jpg

... Seems I asked for my BMW to look like a Subaru. They then said it was my fault but offered to do the wheels again but Silver. I was a f**king mug and said fine just sort it ended up paying more money. I know I shouldn't have before its said.

I use Tilling Wheel Refurbishment in Preston now, flawless and exactly when you've asked for.

Those ones from Lepson's look great. I was speaking to someone the other day who uses them & he said they're spot on. He said Spit & Polish were hit and miss.
You see this is the thing. What are these people powder coating? Primer? Colour? Lacquer? Are the hand finishing any of it from a gun?

It seems to change everywhere you go.
I'm finding everyone seems to do things differently too, some will shot blast etc. But the end result is EVERYONE seems to powder coat these days. A dude I was speaking to on the phone a couple of days ago mentions painting on his website, he said they spray the primer. But they shot blast them.

I was considering JP Polishing, but he only does two types of silver & I'm not sure what they are.

I just a want a decent refurb FFS but it's a minefield out there! I would like to get the exact colour too, but apparently OZ won't give it out.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
If I where to get another set of wheels done then I'd send them to lepsons.

I went to Lepsons on Saturday as I wanted to see their work first hand & look at the colours they offer in RL. They do four different silvers, so I'll go for one of those.
I'm probably going to book it in this week.

Excited!!!:up:

I went to Lepsons on Saturday as I wanted to see their work first hand & look at the colours they offer in RL. They do four different silvers, so I'll go for one of those.
I'm probably going to book it in this week.

Excited!!!:up:

f**k me finally. You're worse than I am/used to be.

f**k me finally. You're worse than I am/used to be.
Lol!!! I've read so many mixed reviews on places it's unreal! To be honest I was getting fed up with it. It baffles me how someone can do it as their job, but still mess it up etc. I hate shoddy workmanship! I'd have bought new wheels if it had come to it.

I was initially looking at JP Polishing, but he only does two different silvers, then Scott (who had his done by them) said if he had some done again he's go to Lepson's, so that made me think JP weren't all that :confused:

Lol!!! I've read so many mixed reviews on places it's unreal! To be honest I was getting fed up with it. It baffles me how someone can do it as their job, but still mess it up etc. I hate shoddy workmanship! I'd have bought new wheels if it had come to it.

I was initially looking at JP Polishing, but he only does two different silvers, then Scott (who had his done by them) said if he had some done again he's go to Lepson's, so that made me think JP weren't all that :confused:
Pretty simple, no offence Craig - if the place I took mine too had done anything wrong, the car would have stayed with them. They balanced them badly (all four) so called them on it. They apologised and refunded the cost of the local tyre place redoing it.
Lepsons have a great reputation the majority of the time - if your job is not up to standard, within reason, call them on it and leave your wheels/car there. Simple as that. People that say Lepsons have reacted badly to criticism have not approached it in the appropriate manner.

Pretty simple, no offence Craig - if the place I took mine too had done anything wrong, the car would have stayed with them. They balanced them badly (all four) so called them on it. They apologised and refunded the cost of the local tyre place redoing it.
Lepsons have a great reputation the majority of the time - if your job is not up to standard, within reason, call them on it and leave your wheels/car there. Simple as that. People that say Lepsons have reacted badly to criticism have not approached it in the appropriate manner.
I love complaining, you know that. So if there's anything wrong etc, I will be complaining. I do have faith in them though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There isn't anything wrong with mistakes, i've always said that, it's how you deal with it that matters.

Some of the machinery those guys are working with are intricate.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Theres everything wrong with mistakes when they aren't the colour you asked for and are promised. Grey and Bronze are two colours Id say you couldn't mix up.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Theres everything wrong with mistakes when they aren't the colour you asked for and are promised. Grey and Bronze are two colours Id say you couldn't mix up.

I had mine done at WS in Manchester, finish was flawless as was the colour.

I'm guessing they were having an off week when they did yours lol.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Don't get me wrong the finish was alright but the colour was a big problem lol.

I have finally had my wheels refurbished, I was off work last week so I had them done then & they couriered them back to me. It was easier to just give them the wheels & tyres rather than the car as I wanted to refresh / replace a few bits on it.
I've got the wheels back on now & I went for new bolts & lockers etc, plus I sealed them with DLUX. Lepsons did a fantastic job, I'm really pleased with them. Before & after pics to come later at some point.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Just blasted a load more wheels today ready for powdercoating this week. Got a few more to do including some GTR wheels.

Just started using a dipping tank here too, can't put the GTR wheels in that though lol.

534c7e97bc0ca85966aae3bd6ebdd79b.jpg

c0543f7dcd8c4f26b535227bf15e03d6.jpg

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Some Abarth 16" alloys done the other day in our new grey we got in.

5ceee5e94d3e367601993ae10a32115c.jpg

a00154ad200552f8976c18b759560713.jpg

6c727edfcd38dbe6ab1ae3c8e11a4a3e.jpg

Some Alfa Mito wheels done in Chrome silver.

3006d96b6488172a6fa0640d97a7eec1.jpg

c51c77b852469434152df070b5f68247.jpg

334119b7d56de4491bf9cc3a6ad0ab46.jpg

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
They look great, if you weren't so far away I'd have come to see you.
Cheers mate! Getting the hang of it now I've been shown the ins and outs of it all. Just doing it to help a friend out with a huge bodyshop who doesn't have time to sort the powdercoating side of things out.

Just done my Renault inlet for the boost bus [emoji12]

0d73d98505f63563ccbce66efc0b3d97.jpg

64dedc3c7f48ecf1557a02121822536b.jpg

b754b37151ed145d3ea8bbb9616b41a8.jpg

In the nicest possible way, Lal B3n, that's the reason I don't want powder coated wheels. This will make me come across as a dick (Craig, before you chirp up and make the joke, "it's because I am a dick") but the orange peel on those is just not the look I want on my wheels. Darker colours show I more, I appreciate, but mine are wet sprayed and the lacquer is mirror finish, not "bobbly" like those.
Engine parts, ideal.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
In the nicest possible way, Lal B3n, that's the reason I don't want powder coated wheels. This will make me come across as a dick (Craig, before you chirp up and make the joke, "it's because I am a dick") but the orange peel on those is just not the look I want on my wheels. Darker colours show I more, I appreciate, but mine are wet sprayed and the lacquer is mirror finish, not "bobbly" like those.
Engine parts, ideal.
I here where your coming from bud, but those engine parts are cast alloy. Not a smooth finish to start with.

It also depends on how well they are covered in powder coat before they are baked, I've had wheels look terrible and dry in the corners and some spot on.

A painted finish can also be dry and a orange peel finish mate, depends a lot on who's doing the job. [emoji2]

Engine parts, ideal.

I here where your coming from bud, but those engine parts are cast alloy. Not a smooth finish to start with.

It also depends on how well they are covered in powder coat before they are baked, I've had wheels look terrible and dry in the corners and some spot on.

A painted finish can also be dry and a orange peel finish mate, depends a lot on who's doing the job. [emoji2]
Re-read required, Scott ;) I said not an issue for engine parts. Wheels however it is a very average finish. And orange peel with wet spray is indeed down to a rushed finish. Hence I wanted to find somewhere for mine where I could get the finish I wanted. Appreciate price comes into it as well.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Re-read required, Scott ;) I said not an issue for engine parts. Wheels however it is a very average finish. And orange peel with wet spray is indeed down to a rushed finish. Hence I wanted to find somewhere for mine where I could get the finish I wanted. Appreciate price comes into it as well.
Ah.

Where did you go in the end bud?

Was it KDS? (I think that's what it's called) [emoji2]

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Engine parts, ideal.
No its fine i can see exactly what you mean. Luckily for 99% of people they will look mint to them.

Orange peel look might be my technique or just the way it will always come across due to powder.

I think the lighter colours are just as bad for it too, them chrome silver alfa wheels look it in person.

But for people who don't want orangy peely wheels we could paint them for them but no ones ever asked, people always want them powdercoated.

Certain colours don't look it at all, my gold OZ F1s don't look it and some green Fabia VRS wheels don't look it either.

All a new learning process to me anyway but so far I'm enjoying it.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Can you talk us through the process please?
Sure, the general processes depending on colours etc has been,

In the blaster until they are perfectly clear of all old paint/powder.

Then in the oven at 200 for at least 30 minutes. Pull them out and primer powder them and then back in oven for around 20 minutes and then back out check they are all ok finish wise and no air bubbles showing etc.

If they're ok then they are given a coat of their chosen colour all over then back in the oven for another 20 minutes or so.

And depending on the colour they're then pulled out and lacquered and back in the oven to bake for another 30 minutes and then checked over. If they're ok then they're left out over night to cool down.

No idea if thats the right or wrong technique to be using but seems to be working so far.

Im sure other people do it other ways.

No its fine i can see exactly what you mean. Luckily for 99% of people they will look mint to them.

Orange peel look might be my technique or just the way it will always come across due to powder.

I think the lighter colours are just as bad for it too, them chrome silver alfa wheels look it in person.

But for people who don't want orangy peely wheels we could paint them for them but no ones ever asked, people always want them powdercoated.

Certain colours don't look it at all, my gold OZ F1s don't look it and some green Fabia VRS wheels don't look it either.

All a new learning process to me anyway but so far I'm enjoying it.

Not your technique fella - it's the process that causes it. I don't fully understand it but something to do with the way the current follows the metal.

And completely agree. To Joe Public it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Premier Wheel Repairs in Redhill. Very good job, apart from f**king up the balancing.
I need some one good to do my Subaru OZ wheels, im sick to death of crap work and poor finishes.

I want them doing in Bronze.

44137bb8d697b3c4047267de7fa0b658_zps3c0cae7c.jpg

Engine parts, ideal.
Haha, as if I'd say that lol!!
I got mine done by Lepsons, they powder coated them etc. I'm proper happy :up: I'll get some pics up when I've washed the car (don't hold your breath etc)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lepsons don't just powder coat Craig they also hand finish. You can't really replicate some colours in powder.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
@cat171 any close up photos of the finish of your wheels please?

looking at getting some done soon and considering lepsons. Id like them done properly but as they're going on the wifes car im sure they wont be perfect for long

@cat171 any close up photos of the finish of your wheels please?

looking at getting some done soon and considering lepsons. Id like them done properly but as they're going on the wifes car im sure they wont be perfect for long
I'll see what I can do mate :smile:
Lepsons don't just powder coat Craig they also hand finish. You can't really replicate some colours in powder.
I just went by what the dude told me when I asked him the process.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just wanted to post another bit of praise for them.

Even when the wheels arrived they called. I spoke to them several times on the phone about these wheels which for a Gtr were in shocking condition and they carried out a number of things free of charge.

Some images of the set returned to us...

af2c0aba6f653dd3585b5229d6cf28af.jpg

654ae195cc0e9999a60df2c6f42242d6.jpg

94f10589873b2275e544c509f3ab4299.jpg

They are utterly flawless after checking them over. Better than the factory gtr wheel we currently have.