ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Life After Clio (182)

Arctic Blue 182
Just got the news that, after 14 years of ownership (abuse), my 182 is dead. Needs an engine transplant if its going to be brought back and my gut tells me that isn`t worth doing.

Soooooo, where do I go from here? :(

What cars have you lot fallen in love with after moving on from a Clio?

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
As above

You'll get rid of it and then want another. Or you'll be an idiot, buy a 197, sell that and then buy another 182
I sold my 172 then a few year later bought a 197. I’d choose a 197 out of the 2 if I was to get another. I’m looking at the minute but not dead set on one so I know this might come back to bite me in the 4rse when I start a 172/182 project thread shortly.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yep.

I bought mine at 8k miles old and sold it to a friend after 4.5 years at 84k miles.
Stupidly i sold it for a Mini JCW GP1 which was the biggest HOS going. Totally overrated piece of junk.
Missed my Clio from the moment it went. Eventually bought back my original 182 from my friend last year and have been loving it ever since. Even with my Cayman R, theres so much enjoyment from the little Frenchie, nothing else comes close.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Theres enough of them being broken for parts that a replacement engine will not cost the earth. If the rest of the car is in good conditon then it may be worth saving.
You have a known quantity. Delving into ownership of another car may or may not work out...

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I sold my 172 then a few year later bought a 197. I’d choose a 197 out of the 2 if I was to get another. I’m looking at the minute but not dead set on one so I know this might come back to bite me in the 4rse when I start a 172/182 project thread shortly.
Your 172 must have been a standard bag of nails then

I've driven most Renault Sports except a V6 and R26.R and nothing beats a 172 or 182 for sheer fun factor. I'd rather have a rotten valver than a 197. Literally the only thing it has going for it is swivel hubs and brembos, everything else is bang average imo

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Theres enough of them being broken for parts that a replacement engine will not cost the earth. If the rest of the car is in good conditon then it may be worth saving.
You have a known quantity. Delving into ownership of another car may or may not work out...
This

Buy a second hand block, fit it with high compression forged pistons and ITB it and get it back in the car.

VTEC Direct would fit it for you at a reasonable price, they fitted a replacement K20A into my old Integra DC5.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Even without an engine you can flog it for a half decent amount if you don't want to drop a new engine in.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Seems a shame to ditch it after 14 years, I wouldn’t have the heart.

Be interested to know the mileage and how/why it died?

I personally wouldn’t go down the engine rebuild and upgrade route unless you’re going to track it, just get a complete engine from a circa 100k mile car.

Arctic Blue 182
Seems a shame to ditch it after 14 years, I wouldn’t have the heart.

Be interested to know the mileage and how/why it died?

I personally wouldn’t go down the engine rebuild and upgrade route unless you’re going to track it, just get a complete engine from a circa 100k mile car.
What happened to the engine?

I didn`t really listen properly when Mike told me - Big end maybe, chewing oil - I just got the new engine part, will listen better when i go get it tomorrow.

Its on about 120k if memory serves (Have the cruise control on all the time so don`t see millage that often.)

Spent £1,100 on it in Nov doing the belts and water pump (plus other bits) so loathed to drop another grand on it.

Or try an i30n.

That will be my next car fingers crossed

I shall look into that! Been a long time since i`ve been car shopping!!!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
That’s unlucky from what I’ve seen of these cars at that mileage as it sounds like it’s looked after too.

Mine is on 130k and my mate’s one only died at 175k when the aux belt went and took out the timing belt and he beat the thing off the limiter every day.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus

I've driven most Renault Sports except a V6 and R26.R and nothing beats a 172 or 182 for sheer fun factor. I'd rather have a rotten valver than a 197. Literally the only thing it has going for it is swivel hubs and brembos, everything else is bang average imo
My 172 wasn’t exactly fast but certainly wasn’t standard. My 197 was lowered and that was about it. I found the 197 to be easier to live with and couldn’t fault the handling, very neutral so it gives you confidence on a track.

Easily the worst bit about the 197 was the interior though. Poorly made and the seats were pathetic. Swap them for a set of aftermarket with a lower seating position and it’ll improve it massively.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Why did you keep it 14 years? Although there's much better cars these days the Clio obviously did what you wanted. Having a new engine fitted is a damn sight cheaper than buying a new car.

Arctic Blue 182
Is the car modified at all? Would you sell it in its current form? 👀 @Chapperz

Reprogrammed the ECU with the RON97 and it`s been lowered - Haven`t decided if im breaking or selling as is yet. Will let you know though (y)

Why did you keep it 14 years? Although there's much better cars these days the Clio obviously did what you wanted. Having a new engine fitted is a damn sight cheaper than buying a new car.

Agreed amigo, the car did everything i wanted, but it could also be life telling me its time to by that Nissan GTR I've always dreamed of :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed amigo, the car did everything i wanted, but it could also be life telling me its time to by that Nissan GTR I've always dreamed of :)
Well if that's the direction you're going then treat the Clio like a drunken one night stand and wipe that biatch from memory forever😂😂.

If you buy a diesel 3 series get in the bloody sea🌊🙄.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

I'd have a 197/200 over a 172/182 any day tbh, infact the only reason I don't is because every one I've had has almost bankrupt me 😂

If you've dreamed of it, do it. An R35 is about as different from a Clio as you can get. Prices have dropped hugely since a year ago.

I've come close to one but the bulk of the thing and the running costs are what put me off.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
They're just too boring

I prefer my cars to feel like a deathtrap I think 😂

Death trap might be a bit much haha but I know where you’re coming from. I have driven all sorts and I still get in my classic sti and think “this is proper fun motoring”

I guess it depends how you drive or should I say why. For me, driving is for enjoyment so I’d sooner drive the clio or my sti than a brand new golf R but I can see why people would rather the golf if they sit in traffic or on motorways for hours a day.

Arctic Blue 182
If you've dreamed of it, do it. An R35 is about as different from a Clio as you can get. Prices have dropped hugely since a year ago.

I've come close to one but the bulk of the thing and the running costs are what put me off.

and the advice is that they will drop further with the potential rise in unemployment and people needing to free up money - cars are usually the first thing to go.

Decided I wan`t something bigger - Looking at something to tide me over for a year that's under 10k as the GTR would be loan country and i really should hop on the housing ladder before doing that. Should.... . . :) Trying to find a 330i touring estate that`s been mentioned in the forums so much in similar threads or maybe a 650i