ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightened Flywheel? worth it?

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
Looking at having my gearbox done next year

while its out is it worth getting a lightened fly wheel?

did some searching and got mixed info from what i read

Ktec do one that 3.7kg compared to the 5.3kg of the standard one

opinions please?

tar

feebs

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Are there any downsides to a lightened flywheel? I.e less inertia up hills etc?

Only if not on throttle.

I have mine done in my MX-5 as 1.8 one weighed a tonne compared to the 1.6 one i was changing from.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Getting you own done will be £40-100

Buying one will be £200+

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I don't know. I was going from 200bhp to 240bhp at the same time.

Plus a lightened 1.8 flywheel was only 0.1kg lighter than a 1.6 one but i needed the 1.8 so i could fit a bigger clutch.

ValverInBits
It'd be something i'd recommend. Engine will feel far more lively. OEM flywheels are only heavy to make the car easier to drive smoothly, and a bit smoother to drive.

If your going to get it balanced, consider doing the whole hog, which is fly+crank+rods.

182cup & 172 racecar
One thing at a time,he is only changing the box,so worthwhile doing.If he was rebuilding the engine then yes as you suggest.
Be careful to tell whoever does this work what you are revving to as some company's will take too much off and then Bang.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
One thing at a time,he is only changing the box,so worthwhile doing.If he was rebuilding the engine then yes as you suggest.
Be careful to tell whoever does this work what you are revving to as some company's will take too much off and then Bang.

Good advice,a mates fiesta did this a couple of years back, but he drove like a tool. Took some top speed off too

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
well i was looking into the ktec fly wheel they sell as its a straight swap and its already light