ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

limiter..hit it all the time?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ive had my 182 since december and have never hit the limiter once...do you guys hit the limiter all the time?

what sorta speeds are you talking say in 1st 2nd gear to hit the limiter...its just mine dont seem to have one less im not pushing hard enough

its just its screaming its pants off and i have to change gear in fear of killing the thing..is this normal or not?

:S
Thanks

If you hit the limiter on the road then you can't drive ;)

Hit it once or twice when doing an overtake or joining a motorway but it's not an everyday occurance!

106 GTi
Catch it occasionally if I am not paying enough attention, not normally in 1st, but sometimes 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th.

Should kick in at 7.2 ish when warm.

M2 Competition
You want to change gear by 6500 revs anyway when thrashing it dude, after that the car feels like its losing grunt.

The screamings normal, its a sports car, try driving an integra... lol

As above really, hit it once or twice every few months or so, but to be honest it's pretty easy not to hit, the engine usually screams at you enough to know you should have changed up by then :)

On a RR graph for my car peak power was a little way before the limiter, things start to go downhill before you reach the point where the gear change light comes on, so I'm guessing there is little benefit in actually getting really close to it anyway.

Trophy 265/500
If you're hitting limiter, you're actually past peak power. You need to be able to hear when you can change up and stay in VVC zone. There's a little green light to remind you if you miss it. You're bound to miss the odd one and bounce off limiter here and there though, especially if you're pwning a Boxster at the time.

Have only hit a few times. All times I wasn't expecting it as I was concentrating on overtaking or pulling out into traffic. oops.

I normally rag mine to 7000 and higher when giving it full beans. I sometimes hit the cold 6750 limiter when expecting it to be warm after 10 minutes or so. Oh, and I dont buy that old peak power chestnut, as I find that the later you change up (within reason) the quicker you'll be in the sweet spot with the next cog.

7000rpm seems to give me optomal 0-100 times.

Oh and lets reduce these figures by half for the oil burning sales rep boys eh?

Last edited:
  Nissan 350Z
Roy Munson said:
I normally rag mine to 7000 and higher when giving it full beans. I sometimes hit the cold 6750 limiter when expecting it to be warm after 10 minutes or so. Oh, and I dont buy that old peak power chestnut, as I find that the later you change up (within reason) the quicker you'll be in the sweet spot with the next cog.

7000rpm seems to give me optomal 0-100 times.

Oh and lets reduce these figures by half for the oil burning sales rep boys eh?

Ditto with the cold limiter, and agreed on the rest.

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Done it once in 6k, she's still a baby. 3rd gear down a slip road... Bounced a few times as I didn't realise LOL too busy watching for trafffic.

Pacey_uk said:
I hit the limiter in 5th once.

^^Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!! How fast were you going?? I've had 130mph (on my runway in the back yard...;) ) but no green light so you must have been in the 140's!

TVR Cerbera
green light in 5th is about 145 indicated on a 172 cup, i say about cos i was too busy looking at the road to see the speed.

(all on a private track of course)( and the 172 is nearly standard, stainless steel ex)

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Ahhh bit of rev limiter action now and then is great fun. Even more with a SS zorst and decat :D

Monaco 172 2/468
Surely everyones bounced off the limiter at least once, either just to see how high it revs, or watching the road hard when going for it.

I've limited in 4th on my empty private airport, but I don't dare limit 5th.... am I a big girl lol

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Sounds quality from outside the car aswell, i.e. if you are showing off in front of your mates

tommydj70 said:
this must do damage everone hiting the limiter most the time
Its not good the shock loading to the engine isn't good but the rpm themselves arn't realy an issue remaps take the car to 7.5~8k usually.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i bounce off ym limiter in mu mk1 all the time in 2nd and 3rd! sounds great frm the side of the airstrip! ;)

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Yeah seem to bounce off occasionally. Say i'm taking a long sweeping corner in 2nd or 3rd or something and i'm bouncing along nicely,lol. I usually change around 7K RPM for best feeling/performance. You've gotta hit it at least once to amuse yourself.

yeh, funny isn't it all 172/182 variants hit the limiter the same. Cup no difference, just be prepared to slow down slower in the wet!!!!!!!

Hit the limiter and you will go slower through the gears anyway

Blaze

anything after 1400rpm lol.

i very very rarely hit the limiter, hit it once or twice at the airfield when launching or powering across the line wheelspinning!

but on the road, i may get caught out on the early limiter!

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
Hitting the cold limiter?! I'd daren't rev until the oil was warm...

And hitting the normal limiter?! You're losing time there...

I have had 145mph (speedo reading) with a mate in and I didnt hit the limiter but I didnt look at the rev counter so dont know what rpm I was doing. Private runway of course!

Just remembered I have Grp N ecu so that will be why!

Mini Cooper S sport
Day said:
Hit it once or twice when doing an overtake or joining a motorway but it's not an everyday occurance!

Ditto, I don't do it very often, and its usually in 3rd if I do.

I hit the cold limiter once when having a play with someone joining a motorway - was GUTTED as well because I lost power! I wanted to say "Come back when my engine's warm" :mad: