ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

List of essential track car modifications

Clio 200
Please can somebody sort me out with a quick list of mods for when i get the 182 on the track :D

Not really any set mods it's largely down to personal preference. Try a track day and see what you feel needs improving first.

GSXR + KDX220
As said, could try the car in standard form and see how you go.

But some better front brake pads wouldnt go amiss, even if thats all you do for now. Don't want fading pads hindering your track day!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
If it's a first trackday, personally i'd refresh the brake fluid and fit track orientated pads, check rear pads. Only saying this as when was the last time the brake fluid was done. Basic service checks, maybe an oil and filter change, also depending on when it was done last. Check tyres.

There's nothing worse than booking the trackday, turning up only for something to fail early on and wear out mid way through a session or the day.

Just my 2p worth if it's just the odd trackday :eek:

a low one
What sort of budget are you on mate?

Id say decent tyres would be pretty essential tbh, its the only thing holding you on the track.

Depending on budget theres many things you can do, uprated pads and discs, braided brake lines, coilovers, solid top mounts, anti roll bars, full suspension set up - camber, toe etc.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Tyres & brakes not much point spending money on anything else if it's your 1st track day, do those & see how you get on. Then if you fancy doing more you'll have a better idea of what to spend money on next ;)

Clio 200
Im not really on a budget as this will be the daily soon and planning on going for itbs etc. :) but cheers for the feedback, a progress thread will be up soon.

172 Race Car
For a totaly standard road car:

Tow eye
Tyre pressure guage
Brakes bled
Oil level checked
tyres and pads in decent condition
Do a few/4-5 laps at a time and allow time to cool the brakes

Next you'd want some better pads but the rest of the car will be fine for occasional track use

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
One crash helmet and a cg-lock. If you are a novice then just get out there and use the car and see how you get on. Standard cars are absolutely fine if you treat them with respect.

Mercedes
Isn't the best thing to buy tuition, that’s where you get the biggest gains.

Buy yourself an instructor for a an hour or 2

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Tuition.

Pound-per-second, it's the best investment you'll make on track.

I've never had it in my own car, but it's astonishing what a car is capable with when you're using the correct techniques. It'll improve your driving on the road also.

Literally no negatives. It's money well spent.

It'll make you quicker and have more fun than any amount of weight reduction or solid top-mounts will.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
As above. Tuition/driving ability will make you enjoy it far more than Raceland coilovers or Silvervisions. I once attended a session at Castle Coombe in a friends TT & after being laughed out of the car park, we proceeded to lap everything there. Including a couple of M3's ;)

Ability = more important than stick on tat.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Ability = more important than stick on tat.

Very true that, remember seeing a williams being driven by an instructor at Rockingham last year & it was seriously showing up 911's, M3's Caterham etc, was easily the fastest car on track when the instructor was behind the wheel

182cup & 172 racecar
There are loads of people on here that have ruined their cars, by just bolting on what they think they should or what they read they should.
Brake pads are a must as the standard ones are made of chocolate and WILL fail after 5 laps.
Leave everything else alone,get some tuition and have fun.These cars are superb as they are.