ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

List of faults on a forgotten about 197

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
So.. about 2 years ago my clutch went on the 197 and it's been sat in the same place ever since.. so much so that the almost new AD08R's had sunken in to the ground and have deteriorated.

I have a list of issues that I've come across which still need addressing and wondered if anyone can shed some light.

1) The wipers will just randomly come on, do a few swipes and then stop randomly somewhere on the windscreen.

2) Keyless isn't working. New battery in the car and in the fob. You have to unlock and lock the car with the fob and when trying to start the car its saying it isn't detected. If you hold the key nearish to the reader then it will pick it up but won't detect it in general.

3) When diagnosing with CLiP, occasionally it'll say issue on the multiplex network, and then certain computers aren't found, then they are, then they aren't etc. Wondered if there's a specific component or part that might make this fail now and again. (Will attach screenshots)

4) I didn't realise the car didn't have oil in (0 bars) and started it, only for a minute or two and a little bit of white smoke appeared. However, I've now topped the oil up and although no smoke, there's a slight burning smell at the front of the engine. Any guesses off the top of your heads what this might be? It is absolutely filthy inside the engine bay still (although scuttle panel and drains have been sorted) but I can't imagine it being anything to do with dirt etc - suppose I'm after advice on where to look really? It does seem to be running ok with oil in it although can't really 'test' yet until the new clutch goes in.

I'll probably add to this list as I discover more and more issues but these are the ones on my to-do list that are still outstanding.

New clutch will probably go in once I've sorted all these issues.

Cheers!

CLIP1.jpg
CLIP2.jpg
CLIP3.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
RIP.

my 197 started having strange electrical issues, turned out that some CAN wires in the harness in the engine bay had shorted together and needed stripping back and repairing. Down by the fuse box in the top right of the bay as you’re looking at it. Under all that basically.

It’s apparently not uncommon due to the drainage from the scuttle panel.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I’d be going through the basics first, check wiring connectors to ecu, fuse box connectors, fuses are clean and clean the relay connectors etc. Cars that sit around like growing corrosion on electrical connectors and plugs.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
It's currently chucking it down but I managed to remove the acoustic valve and the fuse box cover and had a quick look over everything.

If I'm entirely honest, it looks really clean in there. All fuses seemed to be in good condition and relays too.

IMG_1862.jpg
IMG_1863.jpg