ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

little clunk when i head off, please help

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what this wee noise is!! When ive parked the car and i get back in it and reverse it out the drive its fine, turn the steering to the left a quarter turn and just as i pull of there is a wee clunk noise!! any ideas?? doesnt do it when i turn to the right or when i stop the car at the lights and then pull away etc...

dont really want to go to the garage wi it just wondering if anyone else had this problem??

Cheers

[Edited by cfc1967 on 11 April 2005 at 3:27pm]

133/225/CLS AMG

I have exactly the same kind of problem with my 172.

When youre pulling off, say first thing and as you lift the clutch steer a little it kinda clicks. I actually reported to Renault and they replaced the steering column but to be honest it still happens and Ive heard of similar cases.

Ive got the same trouble to ... except for mines not a wee clunk... Mines a bang .. Always when reversing at any angle and also going forward at full lock ...

Ive just booked mine into reno for next monday to get that problem... my engine mount problem... and my burning smell problem sorted :confused:

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

I have a little clunk too. Its only happened since I got my 17" alloys on the other week.

Could it be coincidence or is it to do with the bigger wheels? All the others wiht the problem, do u have non-standard wheels too?

Mondeo STTDCI

I thought it was the brakes testing or summat. That what I read on hear before.

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

hmmm. but ive not noticed it at all in like 8 months of driving the car. Only last week it started doing it for me. Plus I presume the self-test would only be on the startup and maybe set-off - but not every time I stop at lights or whatever?

Im gonna get mine looked at for some other stuff so ill mention it when i do that.

renault clio 182 cup

same noise on my 182 cup,pull off the drive way,turn left to go down the road,lift clutch and then it goes clonk but doesnt do it at any other time,weird isnt it.ive also heard that it is the abs self testing:confused:

mate cup doesnt have abs..

check your wheels are done up.. i had this and the bolts just needed nipping up and also check ur exhaust

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

mien clunks two only when goining right though lol miens 1.2 16v doh, im goin to have a luk at the dog bone mount soon see the condition of that

lo guys, you sure its not lower ball joints, mine would clunk at the front, sometimes when pulling away, from previously reversing, or going up a lower kerb into drivway etc, but would only clunck once..

or going round a roundabout when the weight transfered over onto the other side.

check em or replace em maybe, might cure it, it cured mine and turned to be the above..

Hope this helps

-=KEv=-

[Edited by Elviscat on 12 April 2005 at 12:33am]

Ziel Nurburgring

Only the 172 cup doesnt have ABS everything else does.

As for the clunk, its not official but most agree its the ABS self test. It only occurs once after each start up and wont occur again until you turn off the ignition and re start. Im happy with that explanation

Ian

my valver always used to do it untill it came to the mot.......then i found out it wass the bottom ball joints.......no problem really cheap and easy to fit if you have two people there coz you have to leaver the suspension down!!!!!

try that it sould work

I also get a clunk, well not a clunk as such but feels like a slight vibration through the clutch peddle.

Get in the car in the morning, start engine, release hand brake, reverse of drive, put it in 1st gear driver away while turning to left and then clunk / vibration in clutch pedal.

Dont have this at any other time. Not when driving or pulling away from traffic lights, or even when leaving work after its been standing all day, but every morning, turn left pull away and clunk......weird.

Ford Fiesta

sound slike abs self test to me, i thought it was weird at first but someone put me right on here.

133/225/CLS AMG

Didnt think of the ABS as mine often does it but only when Ive first started the car!!! Makes sense really. doh! :D

Just got my brand new 182 with cup pack.Done 350 miles.Mine also gives a little clunk when its first started and I pull away.
Glad to hear it might be the ABS self test.Thought it was falling to bits already!!

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

well mine doesnt just do it when i first turn on the ignition so im not sure thats its just the ABS self-test. Also, Ive only just noticed it after 8 months of having it and thats a little too long a time for it to be something thats always been there but ive never noticed.

Im sure at one point when it next gets looked at, a mechanic will say something needs replacing and it will turn out to be that :/