ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:: Locking Wheel Nuts & Key ::

02 Clio Extreme
Basically my brother broke the locking wheel nut keys, they will not pop over the bolts anymore.

What can I do? HELP
Anyone got a spare key they would like to send me??

Monaco 37/468
You've got 2 choices...Get another key, or get a dremmel and score a groove down the middle of the bolt and get it out with a big flat-head screwdriver. Those sockets that release the locking nuts are shite, mine's nearly nackered after I put them on the car...

I find that the sockets only become useless if a tyre place has done the nuts up, as you have to put a load of effort into undoing the locking nut, they aren't up to it. I hate those tyre gun things.

similar happened to me, renault dealer put them back on with an air gun, rounded off the key.....it would fit on the bolt, but just slip every time you tried to turn it.........they were on stupidly tight too. Ended up having to chisel two of them off.

Last edited:
  Suzuki Ignis Sport
I find that the sockets only become useless if a tyre place has done the nuts up, as you have to put a load of effort into undoing the locking nut, they aren't up to it. I hate those tyre gun things.

I totally agree.

Wanted to take off my front wheels the other day to touch up my calipers with paint.

But the nuts wouldn't budge.... had to take it to Kwik Fit to loosen them for me.

Which they did straight away :approve:

learning in corsa 1.3tb
similar happened to me, renault dealer put them back on with an air gun, rounded off the key.....it would fit on the bolt, but just slip every time you tried to turn it.........they were on stupidly tight too. Ended up having to chisel two of them off.

The people that did ur bolts up are not the sharpest tool are they. Renault where i work we have never managed to do anything like that????

02 Clio Extreme
Spoke to them on the phone Haz

Done a little research and apparently Mcgard Locking Wheel Nuts are really good.

But what is the difference between the Ultra and Tuner sets???

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
I was told a new socket was £19 from a dealer by me. If you want a new set someone sells them on here for £18 delivered (2 sockets and 4 bolts)

The people that did ur bolts up are not the sharpest tool are they. Renault where i work we have never managed to do anything like that????

nah.......they scratched my wheels to where the bolts go, fresh from a refurb.....took it back, they denied it as expected......complained to renault UK never got anything back........never been back since thank god!

learning in corsa 1.3tb
dear me i have read a few of these stories on here now and cant belive this is happening. I have never had this sort of problem where i work. If i was you i would deffinatly keep complaining to renault UK and if you get no-where then speek to CAB etc for compensation on you wheels

hey jess.
same happened to me and i lost the code :(
i took the car to a garage over in the enterprise park next to town tires if you know it. the guys there had them off in about 1/2 hour