ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

*Long Winded* Brands Hatch Season Finale

Turbos.
So, at last the season finale and the exciting prospect of seeing one of our NSXs actually on a race track! My dad opted to drive the NSX with Vicki Butler-Henderson whilst i shared the Elise with our mate James. With Brands Hatch Indy at last favouring the Lotus, we were keen to claim another victory. Later in the day, James and my dad would be racing the NSX again in the night race for GT cars.

The Elise survived the 6 hour Silverstone race without any damage and just needed a good going over. Being the NSX's first race, we couldn't really do more than wait and see... so all that has changed was a bit of day-glo and a few stickers.

_MG_0169.jpg

First up was qualifying. We knew Kevin Clarke's BMW had improved this season, but we were confident with the Elise. It felt great.

quali_MG_0376.jpg

quali_MG_0125.jpg

My dad was getting to grips with NSX, experiencing some very heavy steering. We were worried how VBH would deal with it!

IMG_0932.jpg

quali_MG_0175.jpg

Things were much closer than we thought! The Elise achieved pole by just 8 thousandths! Eat your heart out F1...

productionquali.jpg

VBH soon got to grips in the NSX and was commendably close to my dad. They finished qualifying 3rd in class, not bad.

quali_MG_9366.jpg

quali_MG_0397.jpg

Some changes were made to the seat position in the NSX before the race. Mainly because VBH is pretty small, but also to give better leverage for the truck like steering! Because of the additional padding VBH needed, she had to start. She was understandably nervous in the collecting area...

vickicollectionbay.jpg

However the boys' minds were firmly on the task at hand!

johns-1.jpg

In contrast to Vicki, James was confident of a good stint in the Elise. However, things weren't looking so good as i watched the NSX's in-car video. James span it on the warm up lap hitting the wall!

Confidence turned to panic as the stricken Elise came back in for some patching up. James was sent away 4 laps down...

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

To his credit, James got a move on and soon started unlapping himself. We weren't giving up!

_MG_0129.jpg

_MG_0146.jpg

Meanwhile, Vicki had done really well, despite being hit twice! Thanks to great driving and other people getting into their own incidents, she was up to 5th place despise carrying battle scars of her own.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

_MG_0128.jpg

40 minutes into the race, Vicki came in and was understandably shattered! My dad got in and cracked on.

IMG_0876.jpg

Soon after, James came in and passed the Elise over to me. I would have to drive like banzai for the rest of the race, we were still well down the order.

IMG_0754.jpg

_MG_0129-2.jpg

I almost went straight off at the roller-coaster corner that is Paddock Hill. The lost splitter meant massive understeer i wasn't expecting!

IMG_0663.jpg

Sadly, just as the Elise was gaining steam (quite literally, it was overheating!), the NSX ran into gearbox problems and my dad could only use 3rd gear!

_MG_0192.jpg

Fortunately, the NSX was comfortably placed and even had fastest lap for it's class. It cruise home in 7th, 2nd in class.

_MG_9109.jpg

_MG_0293.jpg

_MG_0464.jpg

Little did my dad know, he politely let me past a few laps before the finish when it was actually for position! So, from 4 laps down, we managed to finish 6th overall. We were still disappointed, but pleased we still got a valuable point securing 2nd in our class for the season.

IMG_0921.jpg

productionresults.jpg

The poor Elise looked a little worse, as always! It will be repaired this week for a reappearance on the GP circuit on Saturday.

andy1.jpg

andy2.jpg

Being a bunch of kids, despite only having 3rd gear we still decided to run the NSX in the GT race (another 90 minutes!). It did brilliantly considering, even beating Porsche GT3s and Astons and started from the pitlane!

night_MG_9904.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

nightgt.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

gtresults.jpg

So, what's happening next season? To be honest, no idea as of yet. The NSX is definitely getting power steering and a sequential though. It will be subtly refined to meet class limits too. What we do know, is things bode well for a car running a stock engine and gearbox to be just 2 seconds slower than the Elise. Bring on 2010!

IMG_0885.jpg

Thanks for everyone's support and a bigger thanks to Nick and Andy off here for the amazing photos!

Turbos.
Sorry, no more shots of VBH. She has still 'got it' in my eyes, it's the dirty laugh! She is also great fun, a really nice girl.

Thanks chaps.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
If that black and white shot was slightly closer it would be centre of a "living room wall" material.

Oil Burner
Ive done a slight edit of the NSX B+W shot, however im not sure theres the quality there to blow it up too large

709452440_Ng4ji-XL.jpg

Here is a shot of the only MG (i noticed) for you Gaz

709460015_eppdN-M.jpg

It was great to meat Englebert and his team and although i only popped in every now and then it was fascinating to know a little more about what was going on. So thanks to Englebert for making me and James feel very welcome.

172, Tiguan
Good write up Rob. The NSX does look promising, though 2 seconds a lap at Brands is quite a lot?

How did James manage to spin on the warm up lap?

Turbos.
He was warming up the tyres, checking his mirrors and inadvertently stepped onto the wet line at druids (despite the sun, it always remains damp for a while). Not that i'm giving him an excuse, he is a bell end and knows it!

Two seconds isn't a great deal when you consider the Elise monsters Brands. When testing at Snetterton the NSX was a similar time behind as well. Bear in mind it has no aero and we've only just touched set up...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
f**k me your team must have serious cash behind it, im guessing a sequential box for the nsx is 10k+ easy? saying that i have heard alot of bad reports on quaif box's atm... i.e them not giving a power rating other than "alot" but im guessing you wouldnt go quaif anyway?? getrag are sexual boxes as are the hks but hks sequential boxes are the airshift types mainly used for drag... think i read though that if you can get a air shift sequential box they shift alot faster than the normal type boxes...

Turbos.
Quaife is crap and i wouldn't recommend them to anyone Malice! That is what the Elise uses. The NSX will get a Hewland, which is was the Super GT cars use. In fact, most of the Super GT cars use bits from UK manufacturers!

Yeah, it is annoying that the NSX got damaged. Fortunately, having two sets of panels we can use a set to form some cheaper fibreglass moulds for next season.

TrackCar & F30 330d
That was a good little read, sounds like you've had lots of fun. Be interesting to see how much faster it is when it's up to its class limit + the new box and stuff :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Quaife is crap and i wouldn't recommend them to anyone Malice! That is what the Elise uses. The NSX will get a Hewland, which is was the Super GT cars use. In fact, most of the Super GT cars use bits from UK manufacturers!

Yeah, it is annoying that the NSX got damaged. Fortunately, having two sets of panels we can use a set to form some cheaper fibreglass moulds for next season.

lol i wouldnt ever use quaif either they are stupidly expensive guy on sxoc bought one, then when he called to find out the specs and ratings etc they wouldnt or couldnt tell him!

i wanna straight cut dog leg my rx7 mainly for the noise lol! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE lol

Seat Leon Supercopa
Well done chaps :)

I did my best to give you a hand with my sun-blinded turn-in on the intersport Beemer!! oops! Are you at the awards do ?

We managed a pleasing 2nd in class which saw us finish the championship 2nd in class and 4th overall :)
ClioBrands.jpg

P.S. The Britcar500 is on TV tonight and tomorrow:
11th November 18:00 Sky Sports Extra

11th November 22:00 Sky Sports Extra

12th November 01:00 Sky Sports 3

12th November 12:00 Sky Sports Extra

12th November 15:00 Sky Sports Extra

Two 0 Shitx
Looks good burt :D If you need some bits, send me a list by PM, dads literally got a garage full of elise/exige bits, motorsport clams etc.

Turbos.
Of course, you didn't take Kevin out completely so mission failed there! I'm not sure about the awards do, the hotel thing was a bit of a farce...

Does your dad have an inventory list Pearcy?

And it was all rounded off by Rob getting punched in the face by Vicky too!

Nice to meet you and your team Rob. Look forward to catching up with you all again soon.

James