ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Look what came in the post for me today!

Before we get to that...

As per this thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=348496

I purchased the 28-300mm Sigma lens for holiday, as it was purchased the day before we went away I didn't really have time to play with it before hand, so the big test was would it be ok on hols?

Having had the standard Nikon 18-55mm and Tamron 55-200mm lenses for my Nikon D50, I wanted an all in one lens. I found the Sigma very difficult to take a normal picture i.e. a pic from the balcony:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

I was standing in the room to take this pic to try and fit it all in! Happy with the quality but from then a thought this is going to be an headache to live with...

One night there was a Parrot Show I thought ideal time to get some quality close up pics with the Sigma, the results:
DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

I'm pressed with the quality of the pics, but taking the pics was a complete nightmare! Due to lens trying to auto focus (D50 body), with the parrots moving around I was hoping that the camera would just take a picture and it would turn out ok. I think I got lucky with the results!?

Anyway as soon as we got back I returned the Sigma lens because it too much hard work to live with.

So I went all out and purchased:

DSC_0374.gif

Yep, Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6G and a little friend to go with him... Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D

Haven't played with them yet, but will be soon! :D

Fiat Panda 100hp
18-200 looks like a very nice lens, had a go with one on the shop the other day and I want :( Expensive though.

Can't go wrong with the 50mm either, does it AF on the D50?

Fiat Panda 100hp
Didn't realise that the D50 had a focus motor...

Anyone want to exchange one for a D40?? lOl

The D40 replacement cant AF either! But there are more and more AFS and HSM lenses coming out as they can AF quicker than in-camera can (so I have been informed anyway!!)

Luckily for me my Nikon & Sigma Prime lens both AF on the D40!

18-200 is a cracking lens - enjoy mine very much!

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was lucky with the purchase of my D50, as I bought it as the D40 just came out.... I had the last D50 in the shop! :approve:

BluePete - Think you're right about buying more expensive first time round, but I think it was mind over matter and twice the price!

But anyway I've done it now, pocket is a hell of a lot lighter now too! lol

Next on the list is the Sigma 10-20mm, but before that I need to learn how to use my camera properly :eek:

lol thats why i sold my d40!

Lol, seems a little silly how the D40 cannot AF. What did the D40 replace? I thought it was the D50, but thinking about it the D80 probably replaced the D50.

The D40 replaced the D50. The AF motor was removed purely as a cost reduction (which has continued with the D40X and D60), it seems to have worked because the D40 has helped Nikon catch Canon in DSLR sales.

I believe Nikon have a new 50mm 1.8 AF-S on the way, once that gap is plugged most people will never notice that the D40/60 doesn't have a motor.

I have seen that runmour ukaskew, been around for ages, but it finally seems it may well happen. Cost could be an issue though. It has to compete with the Sigma 30mm F1.4 and the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 which is meant to be super sharp.

DP review have just reviewed the Sigma 50mm:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/

Heavy and price are the only real negatives, so Nikon have to make sure there 50mm is competitive.