ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at a new 1.5 dCi Eco - pros and cons?

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Morning all. (Warning - long ramble ahead!)

I bought my current Clio based on my circumstances at the time - commuting to college and back, the odd day out, a general run around. It's a 1.2 16v petrol and does about 41-43 to the gallon which for the low miles I thought I'd be doing (less than 10k a year, anyway) it was fine. It's comfy and reasonably nippy around town so I was happy.

Until... I got a job as a delivery driver for Domino's. I now do anywhere up to 1500 miles a month just for work (so probably 25-28k a year all in with the rest of the driving I do) and while we get paid per delivery for fuel, I'm barely breaking even on the shorter deliveries and I'm losing money on the longer ones, and I can't rely on tips as it's very hit and miss with them.

I'm looking at leasing a new car - diesel, obviously :smile: I googled "most economical diesels" and the newest shape 1.5 dCi Eco came out 3rd - the first 2 were cars I hate (A 1.3 diesel Corsa and a Kia something-or-other). It does a claimed 88MPG or so (even if it's 10-15% less than that in real world driving it's a lot better than I'm getting now!)

Any good and bad points? My brother has the 900cc TCe petrol version and it seems pretty nippy/well equipped but I've never driven it as I'm not insured on it. I know leasing a car then doing 30k a year (for argument's sake it probably won't be far off that) won't be cheap month to month especially if I add servicing to it as well, but it's a new car, it's a lot better on fuel than my current one, and it's 5 door as well which is better than the 3 doors I've got now! Plus I don't have the cash to outright buy a car, but I do have a guaranteed income that will pay for the car and insurance outside of my job. I know that it isn't going away so financially I'm not losing out by leasing one.

Also, if I do end up getting it, worth upgrading to the MediaNav pack?

Cheers.