ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking At Next Car

White Sti Hatch
Got some qoutes for my insurance for upgrading my car really want a Sport but the hike of £1200 takes me up to £2k insurance and thats a bit much so looking at a 1.6 only a hike of £200 :approve: what i want to know is it worth while ?? also what kind of problems should i look for in the car if i take it for a test drive and just while having a general look around it ??

visualize whirled pe
Wize imo, I wouldnt pay an 'extra' £1200 just to insure a 172..

If you have your heart set on a clio find a garage and test drive a 1.6 to see if you like it. The performance isnt going to compair to a 172 but regardless they are brisk little cars and great allrounders, mine is fairly good on fuel too.

If saving money is your thing though, why not opt for a 1.4? a noticeable (but not a huge) step down in performance from the 1.6 but you get the cheaper running costs in tax, fuel and insurance. Keep that for a few years and then get a 172.

White Sti Hatch
Well went to Stealers didnt expect them to be open they havent got any 1.6s in the shop only 1.4s but guy took some details and said he will look around other stealers for 1.6s.

Im not bothered about road tax i already pay £110 for a 1.2. Im just looking for a nippier car and something newer than my current.

White Sti Hatch
yeah out of 15 clios on the lot old and new not one of them was a 1.6 plenty of 1.2 and a couple 1.4s might go up again on friday and see if i can test drive a 1.4 just for the sake of it see the diffrence etc.

Is there any things i should look out for if i come over a 1.6 ??

White Sti Hatch
I can only find Ph1 1.6a is there many ph2s around ??? as id preffer a ph2 over another ph1

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
I've just changed from a Ph2 1.2 to a Ph2 1.6, it's definitely more fun to drive.

Drinks a fair bit more fuel though :dapprove:

The 1.6 is definitely hard to find, I wanted a 5dr version and it was like searching for the grail.

Good luck :)

White Sti Hatch
Nice car n all but dont want another 1.2 want somin a wee bit faster !

Drinking petrol really dont care fill my car up about once every two weeks.

Are Ph2 1.6s rare or somin all i can find on the likes of AutoTrader are 1.6 Ph1 Rsi

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
If it doesn't have to be a Clio - consider 206 1.6 - a better car IMHO.

<puts on flame proof suit>

But if you have your heart set on a Clio that's fair, they're good cars as well - keep looking, and don't just settle on the first one you find, make sure it's a good one :)

Dan

White Sti Hatch
I was set on a clio but im starting to consider looking at something diffrent and the 206 caught my eye. But still ill go back up to Arnold Shark n ask them if they can searc there other branches for one as auto trader just brings up Ph1s

182 inferno for long time
trust me dont buy a 206 shocking cars. if your going to buy anything else buy a 106 gti thats a 1.6.

id personal wait a year than get another quote and get a 172!

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
id personally stick with a 1.2 keep the insurance down, save, relax.

and then next year get an rs. youll be able to get a better model for the money aswell as it seems as tho these things are depreciating quite fast.

:(

im personally going to put my 172 up for sale soon :(

BMW M5 & E36
I went from a 1.2 8v Grande to a 1.4 16v Ph1, massive difference. 100bhp compared to 60 is certainly noticeable, and the 1.4 is only 10 down on the 1.6. Either would be a good choice IMO.

RS 172
When I get my stop gap car between my current one to a 1*2, I think I'll leave Renaults for a year or two. It just seems some other manufacturers make quicker 1.6/1.8's than Renault do.

I'll be straight back though, just cannot wait to be behind the wheel of a 182.

White Sti Hatch
Im just wanting to work my way up towards a faster car id love a 172 but whos to say in a couple years i see somin else that takes my eye so all im looking for is the 1.6 to fill the gap between my 2.0+ car....

Anyone know how much id ruffly get for my 1.2 ?

182 Alloys allround PE2's on each corner
40mm Lowering on Apex Springs
3" Sportext Backbox
Rear Tints
Sony xPlod speakers all round
JVC Headunit

Prob best to sell the bits sepereately.

I have 5 steelies if you need them ;)

Oh an theres a red 1.6 in Brechin/Arbroath, it's on the trader.

If I mind rightly it's red, not sure which shade though.

Can have them back anytime you want bud, there just taken up space in my garage now :D

White Sti Hatch
3800 with 44K on the clock that sound like a good price...Downside its got Lexar lights on it :dead:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
trust me dont buy a 206 shocking cars.

What do you base that on? Have you owned one? I owned a 206 XSi 1.6 16v for 3 years, and it was an excellent car for the money. Interior was nice, engine was fizzy, insurance and servicing were cheap as chips, it never went wrong in any way, it had loads of kit, it wouldn't do less than 30mpg over a tank no matter how much it was abused - average was about 38mpg - driven hard. I honestly don't have a bad word to say about it.

Dan

Found my 02 plate 1.6 relativly quick. Its got just shy of 40k of the clock and is in pretty good condition few marks inside and chips out but im f**king happy with it. Its in light blue as well. (cant rember real colour name!)

White Sti Hatch
Found my 02 plate 1.6 relativly quick. Its got just shy of 40k of the clock and is in pretty good condition few marks inside and chips out but im f**king happy with it. Its in light blue as well. (cant rember real colour name!)

Same year as the one im lookin at but dont think itll still be there when ive got the money to buy it.

Same year as the one im lookin at but dont think itll still be there when ive got the money to buy it.[/quote]

Yeah i saw mine and bought it the next day. Had the money all ready and just thought id get this one as its a good example.

White Sti Hatch
Same year as the one im lookin at but dont think itll still be there when ive got the money to buy it.

Yeah i saw mine and bought it the next day. Had the money all ready and just thought id get this one as its a good example.[/quote]

im not to bothered about the nick of the seats as there all getting ripped out to make way for a pair of buckets n a cage