ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking At Re-entering The RenaultSport World...

RB 182
So basically i sold this in 2010

2010-09-04122749.jpg

2010-09-04122726.jpg

To buy this brand new

2011-01-20130008.jpg

Which i had for about 8 months, and sold it to buy this brand new

2011-09-03110129.jpg

Which i had for about 8 months, and sold to get this

20120410_182737.jpg

BUT

Ive always missed my 172! It took me and my mrs round Europe, and it was the comfiest car ive ever had! Id done lots to it, and it was just an all round good car! I had it from 4 years old, sold it once then bought it back after a yr, and then obv sold it again

Now my A1 is due back in April (1 yr lease) and i always had the intention of buying a 172 for the track as ive now moved to a house with a garage, but the mrs' MCS is starting to worry me, and with the new house money is always needed so itd be good for her to sell it, then run a 172 until April

Now, ive got in touch with the guy who bought my 172, and he'll sell it back to me but wants me to make an offer!

So, its an 02 172, obv same as the pic. Cambelt is OVERDUE (due in May 2012) and theres 5 months MOT. Mileage is 119k, and hes used it little as he has a van

So, what should i offer, baring in mind i knows its history, it had a genuine clutch at about 100k, new genuine suspension at about 90k and FSH

Cheers!

Now

172 Cup
Feck..

Did you ever add up the depreciation between swapping all those?

Great looking cars though :)

Clio DCI
Do you know how well your old car has been treated since you sold it? Doesn't the old phrase say, never buy back on old car?

Dawn's 'Daisy Flamer' looks like a better bet?

S3, Polo
I'd have a look in the For Sale section & get a feel for what a similar car would go for. 120k with overdue belts? I'm guessing @ about £1200?

Mine's in there if you want a pampered 172. :p

Flame 172 (Ph2)
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't want the exact car back... especially if it was on 120k!

I'd wanna mix it up a bit. How about a 182 on the 70/80k mark and in a different colour (obviously)?

As you've come accustomed to with your cars so far... variety is the spice of life! And another relevant cliché for you... don't fall backwards, leap forwards!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd guess thats about a 1500 quid car with the belts done depending on exact condition.
So I would say pay upto 1200 ish (or try your luck at a grand initially and see what he says)

RB 182
That Daisy Flamer looks like a cracking car, but way overpriced considering the belts are due in 6 months!

Ill offer him £1200 and take it from there i think

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Blimey! Peeps jumped on ya back there didn't they Faxo?!

I read it as you weren't interested in Daisy and you were going to put an offer on your old Flamer though, don't worry ;)

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
I'd say go for it, yes there could be a few bits that need some attention but what the hell! I wish I still had my flamer!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol @ people misreading that he meant he was going to offer Dawn that.

CS is so amusing at times

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Tbf no one really did. Yeah i commented and so did Dawn, quick read of his reply and it did implement Dawns flamer, second read maybe not lol.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
2 years ago i got £1500 for my 172 51 plate on 94k miles id go in at £1000

120d M Sport
That Daisy Flamer looks like a cracking car, but way overpriced considering the belts are due in 6 months!

Ill offer him £1200 and take it from there i think

I agree. Someone polishes a car to within an inch of its life, puts it up way overpriced and everyone on CS justifies it even though the belts are due in 6 months!

£1200 sounds a fair offer on your old car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I agree. Someone polishes a car to within an inch of its life, puts it up way overpriced and everyone on CS justifies it even though the belts are due in 6 months!

It was a good example even before Dawn polished the hell out of it, the reason she bought that particular car in the first place was because it was a good one.
She has dropped the price to reflect the belts needing doing to, although even since that its still priced at the very top end of the market of course, but then its a particuarly nice example and some people are prepared to pay for that priveledge, plus more importantly, Dawn is obviously not desperate to get rid so has no reason to let it go cheap, nothing wrong with that.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Sold her for full asking price, she was a mint example. Not overpriced imo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Deffo not overpriced if it sold that quickly.
Some people want the best and that means the best ones can fetch a lot more money. Always the way.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
It boils down to the fact that Daisy has a big reputation on this forum thanks to your hard work and the updates provided by you on this forum.

If you take such pride in polishing and keeping her clean, there is no doubt that the mechanicals will be spot on and serviced on the dot and interior will be in perfect condition too.

Commiserations on the sale, surely you'll miss her!? :( Do you have a replacement in the pipeline?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not convinced that just cause someone polishes the hell out of their car frequently it actually had any bearing on what mechanical condition the car is kept in, I can think of a few people on here who never clean their car but the mechanical side of them is impeccable and likewise I know plenty of people with very clean and shiney cars but worn out track rods etc.

I dont think one effects the other at all, in fact if anything people who polish their car like mad are less likely to drive them hard enough to notice mechanical issues as quickly as people who trackday their car etc.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
They're clearly not linked, Autoglym isn't going to refresh your oil!

Point is, if you take that much pride in a car, you're not gonna just stop at the polish - I'd expect everything else to stack up too.

Of course there are exceptions though, and like you say Chip, there are probably more cars out in there in very good mechanical condition that just are not cleaned and polished every week! I would put mine in that very category in fact...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly lots of people into detailing simply dont understand mechanical things (not dawn, she works on planes as some sort of engineer IIRC so im sure she does, lol) which means they dont know what mechanical maintenance they should be doing in the first place, plus from what I have seen those sort of people would generally sooner spend their money on the shiney bits, so if it needs something mechanical but that would take funds from their polishing account then it doesnt get it.
Not just talking since the detailing craze either, even 20 years ago when I was into minis, try convincing someone they need a new diff pin was impossible, but tell them you know where they could get new chrome bumpers and they were all over it.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
When I got the 172 the first thing I did was get her serviced. New platinum ngk plugs, no expence spared. I like to look after my cars, not just keep them shiny on the outside :)