ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking into getting a 2002/2003 172

2001 VW Polo 1.4
Dear All,

My name is Michael and I will soon be purchasing a new car, quite possibly a clio 172.

My girlfriend and I live within walking distance of our jobs, and seeing as we have a mortgage to pay we cut down to one car a few months ago. I sold my 1996 MR2 and we now share her 2001 VW Polo 1.4.

We have now agreed to sell it and get something with more power as I am not used to driving such a slow car and she fancies a change anyway.

Our budget is £5k although we would like to spend nearer £4k. We shortlisted the Saxo VTS, 206 GTI 180, Civic Type R and the 172. We have since dismissed the 206. The other 3 are all still options, the Saxo is cheap to buy, run, insure considering the performance you get (I owned one a couple of years back), the CTR is quick and is Japenese so will be reliable however the running costs, insurance and the fact it is a bit ugly puts me off. The Clio is nice to look at and is cheaper in all aspects than the CTR, so the Clio is the frontrunner.

I won't ask if I am making the right decision as I am on a Clio forum so will probably get a somewhat biased response :D . However if anyone has owned/driven the cars on my list then your comparisons with the 172 would be appreciated. I would also like to know any common problems to look out for and any comments on the build quality would be useful.

Thanks

Michael

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
If I had £8k I'd go for a CTR, but with £4k, it's definitely gotta be a 172. I don't think I've ever seen a CTR for £4k!? Sure it would be a pretty bad example at that price!

The Saxo doesnt really compare imo, the interior is horrid for starters.

Why did you dismiss the 206? I came from a GTi and it was a good car tbh, just lacked the speed of the Clio.

Are you looking for a Ph2 I take it? Look on pistonheads.com if you haven't already, lots of bargains to be had!

2001 VW Polo 1.4
I don't want a 172 cup, but the normal 172 as would like the air-con, leather etc.

When the car was new would the cup packs have been options? If so what do the cup packs include and how do I tell if a car I am looking at has a cup pack.

I am a little confused, do people refer to their car as a cup if it has a cup pack?

2001 VW Polo 1.4
Is it realistic to have a budget of £4k for a phase 2 172 FF? A good one that is, not one covered with dings and scratches.

There are quite a few on autotrader for around £4k.

Did the 172FF have the option of adding cup packs or is that just the 182?

Si

RS Clio 172
i just got mine for £4350 and it's a 53 plate. so i think your being realistic! i found cheaper too. just depends on how far you're willing to travel.

Golf GT TDI
Is it realistic to have a budget of £4k for a phase 2 172 FF? A good one that is, not one covered with dings and scratches.

yes the market is on its knees! if you have cash to spend your in luck

i picked this up: 1 owner 63k full renault service history absoloutly mint not even one dent on it for £3000 and its on a 53 plate with the cruise control and speed limiter.

DSC00294.jpg

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50

yes the market is on its knees! if you have cash to spend your in luck

i picked this up: 1 owner 63k full renault service history absoloutly mint not even one dent on it for £3000 and its on a 53 plate with the cruise control and speed limiter.

DSC00294.jpg

Nice one dude. You even got a free woman with it by the looks of it!