ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to buy a Clio help please?!

Clio 1.2 16v
Right, as my username may give away, I had my heart set on a Clio MK2 Phase 1 1.4 16v Si, however I am £2,800 to insure the Si, and I'm £300 cheaper to insure a 1.2 16v Sport.

I will be buying a car at the end of April but the sooner I decide the easier the search, what do you guys think?

Also, how could I get the 1.2 upto 98bhp or above, without spending too much. They have 75 standard for those who don't know.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.

Stripped yozza'd cup
No chance of getting the 1.2 to that power cheaply. The 1.4 is an infinitely better engine, the 1.2 is dangerously slow. Get that if you're at all performance oriented.

£2800 is a huge amount of money though.... I'm guessing you've done a lot of searching? Try sky insurance on here, they do a discount for club members.

Clio 1.2 16v
If I could get a quote for £1500 on a 1.4 Si I'd be nowhere near this thread haha. I'll have to check with sky insurance, although I'm not a member here yet, I'll wait till I actually have a Clio. Yes I'm definitely in favour of performance. 2800 is still affordable. My brother has a MK2 Phase 1 1.2 but its an 8v 5 door and its so slow, plus everytime he sinks the foot the temperature gauge shoots up faster than the speedo ha.

Another Q, would an Oreca Motorsport Group N exhaust system be an ok fit to the Si? I've taken a liking to the rasp of pee-shooters.

Cheers.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the 1.2 16v is fine, their isnt a great deal of difference between that and the 1.4 16v, not worth paying big insurance difference over anyway. avoid the 1.2 8v tho.

Clio 1.2 16v
I'll just have to keep looking at both.. Last year I got a quote for a Phase 1 172 for £850 on my Dad's policy, now It's around £7000. No power for me...

Stripped yozza'd cup
Surely that's not a standard 1.2 fred? I drove one a few weeks back and it was unreal how slow it was.... although I guess it's unfair that I had driven there in my 172.

EDIT: Thinking about it.... the one I drove might have been an 8V. perhaps that's why.

I know everyone's saying the 1.4 is too much etc, and it is, but when you're paying £2,800, what's £300?

Stripped yozza'd cup
:eek: that's what I paid for my cup!
Even with the low mileage, that's too much mate. It's an 11 year old car after all. Private sale ftw.

You should really pay your membership chap, will help you a lot with finding a car.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
of course if you prefer the ph1 then no point in getting a ph2 just your getting a much nicer interior and newer car in ph2 form for the same or less money as there is more about.

Clio 1.2 16v
Any idea of the lowest trim level for a 1.6 16v phase 2? If I could insure a 1.6 I'm sure Id be persuaded to join the PH2 club. :cool:

Clio 1.2 16v
Right well thats the first thing I'll buy then, when I get money ha! being at college is a right pain!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
expression likely, but why would you want the lowest trim level? Dynamique is the one to go for wouldnt bother with any others unless you fancy an Initiale but you will need to go 5 door lol

Clio 1.2 16v
Well the lower the trim the lower the insurance (normally). I'll check for a dynamique now see what happens eh.

Clio 1.2 16v
I live in Pitmedden, a village consisting of maybe 400 people tops, its tiny and never heard of any crime in the area. I'm 17 with no NCB and thats 3rd party for all my quotes, fully comp I'm ever worse and putting my Dad on the policy doesnt change a thing.

I'm not sure how old you guys are but 2500 - 3000 for cars like this is average price now. Just a few years ago 1400 would've been considered a bit steep.

Clio 1.2 16v
Yeah well I wanted to do a PH1 172 rep, love them. Maybe you could lend me your bumpers/wings/wheels/etc for a while :cool:

edit: Just lend me your car :approve:

Stripped yozza'd cup
Lol Jack, that first ones not too bad, but 2 of them are 5 doors, and ones been for a scoop through Halfords by the looks of it. Cheapest PH1 that looks resonably good bar the lum on the back is this 1.2 sport

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2529534.htm

This is frustrating.

I wasn't saying you should by them, just giving examples of what you can get for your money.

Third party is often more expensive than fully comp.... have you tried both?

Is your area quite wealthy? The gf's parents live in a very wealthy area just outside Crawley, but as far as insurance goes, it's worse than where I live. My area is one of the nicest in Crawley mind, but I would have thought that crime rates will be better there than where I live.

Clio 1.2 16v
I'd say It's a nice enough area, nothing special. I don't live there ATM I'm currently living In Tillydrone, and If you do a quick google search you'll find this is the biggest dump in Aberdeen haha! I tried for here and I'm 3100 for the 1.2 sport, not going to bother checking the Si, I've tried everything, I'm sure some f*****s out to make sure I don't get a Clio ha! :dapprove:

Stripped yozza'd cup
The clio is amongst the cheapest for insurance.... the 1.2 16v is group 7, the 1.4 is group 9.
Really mate, your choices are, grin and bare it or fiddle your insurance a bit.

Have you put your parents on as second drivers? That saved me a good few hundred pounds.

Insuarnce companies are f*****s tbh, that's the only downside of it being a legal requirement, they can rape you as much as they like.

Clio 1.2 16v
Well sky only quote you over the phone, so soon as I can, I'll buy membership for here then give them a phone and see what they give do for me, I'm sure there's something I can do, If I can get 2500 for a 1.4 I'll be happy with that. Thanks for the help folks.

Dave.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i thought £1,000 at 17 was bad on my 1.2 16v the day i passed! i went on my mums policy for a for 8 months and it brought it down to £600 then started my own at 17 when i bought my 172 to build up ncb, got 5 now :)

172cup/ insignia
i would never pay over £2000 for insurance, iv just got a quote on my 172 at £1419 for 12 months, 1ncb as my others are used on my other car and had my license 6 years now. And i think thats a bit steep but its the cheapest quote out of about 30 insurers

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
i would never pay over £2000 for insurance, iv just got a quote on my 172 at £1419 for 12 months, 1ncb as my others are used on my other car and had my license 6 years now. And i think thats a bit steep but its the cheapest quote out of about 30 insurers

Totally not worth that money IMO, especially with six years experience. £500 is my limit for insurance. If it's above that, I don't buy. People on here spend mental amounts of money on insurance. Paying for your car again in insurance FTL.

Listerine & Poledo
dont bother trying to screw power out of a 1.2/1.4

by the time you've spent the money on it and declared your mods, you may as well just buy a car with pep to begin with

Listerine & Poledo
Totally not worth that money IMO, especially with six years experience. £500 is my limit for insurance. If it's above that, I don't buy. People on here spend mental amounts of money on insurance. Paying for your car again in insurance FTL.

Money > Sense.

But, well, that's the joy of youth I guess, when you likve with your mum you dont have a mortgage to pay

172cup/ insignia
i tried every were for cheaper insurance i dont want to spend 1400 on insurance but iv got to, and when its 900 on a 1.4 106 i might as well pay abit extra and have a quicker car. Also i got quoted off most of them compare websites 3000 +