ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to get a 172 or 182

LBM

Mk4 Golf
There are a few ads I am looking at, spoke to a few people and am ultimately wanting to purchase a car this weekend, have £2000 to spend.

I spoke with someone who is selling a 182 and he claimed that a K&N air filter caused the EML to come on, asked him what came up on the code reader and he claimed to not know that fault codes can be read. Instant warning sign to me. Car has full cat back milltek exhaust, trophy recaro seats and turinis. Cambelt and pulles replaced last year. (put up for 2.5 could get for around 2k or less).

Another car I am looking at is lower miles has a few issues needed for mot that I am not too bothered about, the car is a lot cheaper than the other 182 so I could easily afford to fix it and would have money to do what I want to it. Car is completely standard. 70k miles timing belt done @ 45k. (put up for £1200, could probably get for 1000).

Can't seem to find any 172s in a decent condition in my price range.

Any advice?

2014 Clio 200t edc
I'm in the same boat albeit with a smaller budget than you. My last 172 was a cheap one with a couple of small issues, however now the prices seem to have gone up and people are after more for high mileage ones.
I'd look at the second one you've mentioned.

LBM

Mk4 Golf
I'm in the same boat albeit with a smaller budget than you. My last 172 was a cheap one with a couple of small issues, however now the prices seem to have gone up and people are after more for high mileage ones.
I'd look at the second one you've mentioned.
I want something that I can drive, do things to and not lose too much value, overly high mileage isn't what I am after.
Taking that into consideration I am thinking the second one as well, it needs a spring so gives me an excuse to get better springs all round.
Exhaust needs replaced so either custom or what ever exhaust has the best reviews on here.
Kind of answered my own question.
Best of luck getting the car you want.

330i. E30 Touring.
I have a cheap 182 for sale. Needs a bit of TLC, but will have a fresh cambelt/dephaser service done on it. In black gold. Drop me a PM if interested.

renault clio 172
I have a iceberg silver 172 available well within your budget and has had a lot of work done to it already

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I think cos I was logged on when I copied the link, it happened to me on another forum the other day.

LBM

Mk4 Golf
Not looking to travel a great distance, the two cars I posted are ones that are an hourish away from me.

Traveling to say Essex is off the cards.

RB 182 FF
I don't understand the mentality of 'I'm not going that far' to get the right car...... I've been all over Britain for the right vehicles in the past because the chances of a great car being on your doorstep are pretty slim...... From Mid Wales I've been to Penzance and Newcastle to pick up my Yamaha R1 and old Alfa Romeo... And it's all part of the fun driving them home, who doesn't love a road trip, especially in a new car!!

All good can see the advert now. Thought membership would take a while to come through! Searching around for pics of it now.

Im used to travelling a long way to get a car myself. I think its worth the effort for the right car!

Black Gold Trophy
I have to say these cars are really worth so much more than this in the enjoyment they bring, so travelling for one shouldn't be an issue. Had mine for 7 years and miss it terribly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PH2 172
The £700 ones that are only good for parts are killing the market. The std r****d of today sees 2 cars both look decent in pics thinks belts only go on miles not years

1 is £800
1 is 2k

He see the 2k one as over priced not the 800 as a cheap sh#t heap lol

It's a buyers market though imo.

I went to view one that was up at £1300 with a few little issues.
I let the guy stew for nearly a month and then whacked in an offer for £800.
He was advertising it at the side of the road and said he didn't get much interest.
Ended up getting it for £850

Bargains to be had