ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loose top mounts?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Just a small question, having a look round in the bay earlier just checking fluids and having a look for the source of a knock sound and notice the top mounts are loose. 1 was almost free spinning and the other was just nipped and came loose easily.

I've tightened them up just using my hands as have got no tools atm, they're pretty tight now. Is it safe to drive until I get to a garage? I've driven it anyway so hope so but thought I'd check on here.

Also can it throw geometry out? Might explain the strange feeling with the steering.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ah okay lol, I'll get them tightened with a ratchet then cheers.

What about the geometry? Do you know if them being loose can effect that?

Clio 172mk2
the top mounts, should sit higher then chassis, so there free to move when you turn wheel.

knocking sound could be the worn mounts underneath, track rod ends etc and bottom ball joint

when do you get knocking

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah top mounts have been checked in the last 6 months and I think they were okay, its due a service so I'll just get it booked in and ask for it to be checked.

Happens over bumps at low speeds, the noise was coming from the side where the mount was loose and it might have stopped now I've taken the slack by tightening it.