ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top Mount woes

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
I've been having an irritating knocking sound over bumps on my 182 for a while now and have narrowed it down to my top mounts.
I've had the new spacer nut installed thinking that would solve it but after taking off a strut this morning, there is a massive amount of play as shown in this video.

This isn't normal right? I'm sure the rubber part of the top mounts aren't even a year old so do i have parts from a defective batch?
Has anyone had this before and know how to solve it? It's starting to drive me insane.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The play in the rubber bush is normal, they dont really nip up as such and need to be slightly loose so they can rotate on the bewring once the car is on the floor. Check balljoints, trackrod ends and inner tie rods for play as all knock like f**k with a little bit of wear.

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
All of those have been replaced within the last month or so which is why I assumed it would be the top mounts.

the only thing at the front that hasn’t been touched is the inner ARB bushes but surely they don’t knock that loud even if they’re worn?

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I had an irritating knock like this a couple of years back. After replacing all my suspension components (not a bad thing to have done!), I established that it was the rattling of my track pads making the noise. The Carbone Lorrane brake pads of mine don’t have anti-rattle springs fitted to the edge of the pads, whereas my regular road pads do.

Classic mini P 996
Not the same car but on my Mk4 R32 I chased an annoying knocking over bumps doing top mounts and other bits and bobs, turned out to be the actual shock absorber! have you tried changing this?.

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
Not the same car but on my Mk4 R32 I chased an annoying knocking over bumps doing top mounts and other bits and bobs, turned out to be the actual shock absorber! have you tried changing this?.
I have trophy Sachs dampers that have been refurbed within the last year so pretty confident it’s not the actual shock. I had one side off the other day and it seemed fine.
Appreciate the suggestion though (y)

Classic mini P 996
No problem. Its very frustrating isn't it! I can't stand an annoying knock.. spoils the fun. I have a few stories of this type of issue. had same on a 996 911. changed everything turned out to be the steering rack! £1500+ later knock free.

Good luck.

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
No problem. Its very frustrating isn't it! I can't stand an annoying knock.. spoils the fun. I have a few stories of this type of issue. had same on a 996 911. changed everything turned out to be the steering rack! £1500+ later knock free.

Good luck.
Agreed, it is turning into a bit of a money pit now. Like you say it makes me want to not drive it :(

Cheers, hopefully I’ll figure it out soon. No doubt it’ll be something stupid I should have thought of earlier