ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loss of drive, don't think it is the circlip...

Hi guys, had my 172 about 2-3 weeks now, and all plain sailing, until driving home the other night and have to slow down to pass a car on the lane. put the car into first at around 5 mph, and release clutch. Nothing happens, the car revs but doesn't drive.

I have done some reading on the forum to try and solve this, however my situation is slightly different to the ones found in other threads that would suggest the circlip may have popped off. The speedo doesn't go up when revved and there is a clunking noise.

I am going to have a look now, but does anyone have any ideas as to what may have happened??

Cheers

maybe the gearbox selector/pivot rod has jumped out

is the gear stick all floppy ? if so its more than likely this

gearbox8.jpg

the circlip can fail and jump out = no gears

Its got a bolted diff so circlip won't ever cause you a problem.

Downside now is the box will be full of long roller type bearings which will be a pig to get out. :(

iirc cs_dave may still have a shaft if you are after one and is up the road near halesowen.

Yeah that would be perfect! I will PM him now. Going to take the engine out and change the clutch, water pump and clean the bits out of the gearbox

Its got a bolted diff so circlip won't ever cause you a problem.

Downside now is the box will be full of long roller type bearings which will be a pig to get out. :(

iirc cs_dave may still have a shaft if you are after one and is up the road near halesowen.

None of the roller bearings have come out so he'll be fine. Just fit a new drive shaft,
Remove the remainder of the bolt holding in the plate and put in a new one. Sorted.

I have fitted and purchased a new driveshaft, However I am unable to remove the broken stud, so I am going to take the box out to access the diff better.