ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lost all drive to front wheels

AB Clio 182 FF
Hi , i have a 04 182 ff , couple of weeks back i was pulling out a junction , and completely lost all drive to the front wheels , have jacked the front end up and none of the wheels spin at all when putting it in any gear , but have noticed that there is a clunking/banging noise coming from the gearbox , would i be right in thinking that the gearbox is knackered and it would not be anything like the circlip etc thanks

Renault Clio182 bean
I would check the circlip in the box behind the n/s driveshaft before buying a new box, also is there no bite at all? ruling out the clutch material coming away from the plate.

AB Clio 182 FF
there is still a bite , if i dip the clutch the gearbox does not make the clunking noise , if i let the clutch out in gear it still feels like it is engaging in gear i.e slight change in revs , bit of a jerk like it should with both wheels in the air , but none of the wheels move even if i blip the accelator , but if i get under the car while its started i can select some gears manually , and some it kind of makes a whine like it should when you try and put it in gear without dipping the clutch , not sure if any of that makes sense at all thanks

AB Clio 182 FF
so i have just removed the driveshaft and this is what i found , i persume the 2nd picture is the washer , but could not find the circlip , any advice on what i should do next ?
i do have another gearbox in the shed (had no 1st gear) this has what looks like a bolt in diff is there any way of using that ? or would that involve breaking the box down ? thanks
IMG_1496.jpgIMG_1498.jpgIMG_1499.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, circlip has gone pop and it will be hiding inside somewhere in at least two bits.

The bolt in diff could be used yes but it's a box rebuild job.

What you need to check on your existing box is for damage in two places:

1 - the slot that the circlip goes into. Make sure the edges are not fillet radiused on the edge.

2 - pull the knuckle out (the bit that the drive shaft goes in to which is normally retained by the circlip) and inspect the planetry gears... Make sure nothing is chewed up.

If both the above are okay then bang in a new circlip and spacer shim. If they aren't bin the box as it needs a diff.

AB Clio 182 FF
Yep, circlip has gone pop and it will be hiding inside somewhere in at least two bits.

The bolt in diff could be used yes but it's a box rebuild job.

What you need to check on your existing box is for damage in two places:

1 - the slot that the circlip goes into. Make sure the edges are not fillet radiused on the edge.

2 - pull the knuckle out (the bit that the drive shaft goes in to which is normally retained by the circlip) and inspect the planetry gears... Make sure nothing is chewed up.

If both the above are okay then bang in a new circlip and spacer shim. If they aren't bin the box as it needs a diff.

Whats gonna be the best way to find the broken circlip? magnet ?

would the plate on ebay from france be an option , supposed to replace the circlip and spacer ?

cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Magnet would be my first choice yes. It will have been pushed out so that limits the space which it can fall in to.

As for the eBay item I can't say for sure as I've never seen one but I guess it could as it's effectively what Renault did to the later ph2 boxes.

Enjoy drilling the diff in-situ though and be sure to catch any swarf.

AB Clio 182 FF
Magnet would be my first choice yes. It will have been pushed out so that limits the space which it can fall in to.

As for the eBay item I can't say for sure as I've never seen one but I guess it could as it's effectively what Renault did to the later ph2 boxes.

Enjoy drilling the diff in-situ though and be sure to catch any swarf.

yeh that should be fun lol not really sure what to do , just dont really fancy taking the box out for a forth time lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm in a similar position myself as I had no drive after chasing Chi hard at Blyton. Coasted off track and in to the pits so the session wasn't shut down (because hero) and had no drive. Got it loaded on a truck with a winch then home and the fecker reversed off the flatbed (it also had 1 thru 5 forward gears). Now I don't believe it's self healed and I am certain I've sheared the retaining bolts but will pull it down on Tuesday to have a proper look. I'm praying I just popped the shaft out as I cannot face pulling my engine again myself.

AB Clio 182 FF
I'm in a similar position myself as I had no drive after chasing Chi hard at Blyton. Coasted off track and in to the pits so the session wasn't shut down (because hero) and had no drive. Got it loaded on a truck with a winch then home and the fecker reversed off the flatbed (it also had 1 thru 5 forward gears). Now I don't believe it's self healed and I am certain I've sheared the retaining bolts but will pull it down on Tuesday to have a proper look. I'm praying I just popped the shaft out as I cannot face pulling my engine again myself.

self healing cars , now that would be nice haha , but bad for business in your case , might cut my losses and sell the thing as spares or repairs lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It would be a shame to break it as there are worse cars out there. Maybe my workshop is like the old Grand Theft Auto and he car goes in a garage, the shutters roll down and that's it - fixed.

I'm sure a new circlip will see you right again and as long as there's no damage to the casing it shouldn't pop again.

AB Clio 182 FF
It would be a shame to break it as there are worse cars out there. Maybe my workshop is like the old Grand Theft Auto and he car goes in a garage, the shutters roll down and that's it - fixed.

I'm sure a new circlip will see you right again and as long as there's no damage to the casing it shouldn't pop again.

yeh that would be pretty good lol , will have a closer inspection tomorrow and see if theres any damage

Am i right in thinking that it does not have its original box in it? as the 182 box has a bolted diff?.

Hope you sort it, i hate f**king circlips!!!!! been there a few times.:mad:

AB Clio 182 FF
Am i right in thinking that it does not have its original box in it? as the 182 box has a bolted diff?.

Hope you sort it, i hate f**king circlips!!!!! been there a few times.:mad:

nope original is in the shed as i lost 1st gear and that has a bolted diff , got this one 2nd hand off renparts a while back n unfortunately doesn't have a bolted diff lol