ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lost insurance claim - hit in rear

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
okay, so basically on 5th may the clio got hit in the rear on a roundabout by an astra. total cost for me was £438 total for them £1300 odd.

phoned Admiral since they sent me an email saying the claim was settled and that id lost my no claims bonus as i was considered at fault!
they basically said because of the circumstances it was the logical thing to do since if i lost the case in court it would cost more as a result.

So what do i do? Do i appeal and take it to court or do i just go with it.

They basically claimed that i cut them up on the roundabout lane, when i was clearly indicating right meaning i was going to go right around....
unfortunately no witnesses nor no cctv :(
so yer basically they were about to come off the roundabout as i was starting to go around it thats when they hit me.

im thinking 2 things here. 1 speed. 2 observation.
they should have seen i was wanting to go around the roundabout as i was indicating right obviously they didnt see me indicate and were also clearly going to fast or too close to me to brake in time.

what you guys think i should do considering they have basically said im at fault even tho ive been hit in the bloody rear!?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Need pictures and drawing of the cars on the google maps TBH.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
cant get to the car damage photos at the mo, basically the went into the rear driverside corner of car. new bumper new axle etc.
253382_10152798095375131_1237516496_n.jpg

the mark on the ground is where they pushed my car and the tyre grinded on the ground. (caused by the rear passenger side tyre)

An assumption here .... you were in the left lane .. but did not want to leave till exit 3 ......

I have a huge amount of experience with this when someone did similar to me ... if what I said above is correct then I would not waste your money in court

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
i missed the previous exit, i was either in the 2nd or 3rd lane of the roundabout. i do have to agree that if i was in the 3rd lane (away fro mthe middle of roundabout), your probably right. even still, i was indicating right, people make mistakes like that alot, indicating right on a roundabout since they missed the exit. thats what happened in this situation and so i ended up in the wrong lane

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You've just completely admitted you were in the wrong?

On roundabouts it's give way to the right, so any traffic on the inside lane has right of way over you anyway.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
the other point to mention is close to the traffic lights, it has the white lines over the road, so before i crossed the lights i wasnt in the lane closest to the center if that makes sense?

i missed the previous exit, i was either in the 2nd or 3rd lane of the roundabout. i do have to agree that if i was in the 3rd lane (away fro mthe middle of roundabout), your probably right. even still, i was indicating right, people make mistakes like that alot, indicating right on a roundabout since they missed the exit. thats what happened in this situation and so i ended up in the wrong lane

wrong lane your fault, they teach you when you learn to drive, if i was on a motorway and i missed my exit i wouldn't reverse down it. Sorry to be so harsh mate. Live and learn i guess.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
You've just completely admitted you were in the wrong?

On roundabouts it's give way to the right, so any traffic on the inside lane has right of way over you anyway.

im not saying i was or wasnt. to be honest if i was that sucks, f**king hate peterborough now lmao

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
you guys reckon i was in the lane next to that car on the roundabout in the pic? thats what i thought ahhh s**t to it then

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
wrong lane your fault, they teach you when you learn to drive, if i was on a motorway and i missed my exit i wouldn't reverse down it. Sorry to be so harsh mate. Live and learn i guess.

unforuntely this is what happens when you learn on small roads in norwich and not london or manchester etc then i guess lmao

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If you came from where the 206 is and continued round the roundabout completely in the wrong lane.

Nothing at the mo :(
I dont realy undestand much of whats said :s but basicly you was in the wrong lane from the sounds of it. you got bumped cause you pulled into someones one and your complaining? if i was the bloke who hit you because you cut me up i would of gone mental

Its harsh ... but I am sure you will learn from it . The insurance co appear to have made the right descion .... mine took a year and I won 100% ... I had a woman turn left down exit 1 from the r/h lane .
Most roundabouts go 50/50

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
I dont realy undestand much of whats said :s but basicly you was in the wrong lane from the sounds of it. you got bumped cause you pulled into someones one and your complaining? if i was the bloke who hit you because you cut me up i would of gone mental
253382_10152798095375131_1237516496_n.jpg

shud have drawn on it first i suppose. the line to the right, is the path i would say i was i nthe wrong definately, but if i was in the line to the left, then i was going correctly? oh i agree mate, as would i lol.

get this tho, she had 2 kids in the car and her husband had been drinking too. police officer was at the scene but wasnt a traffic cop so didnt breathlise them either.....

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member

how was it his fault. He missed his exit so had to go round. He indicated and wanted to go round. If he saw it wasnt clear yet forced his way and cut across then yeh this man is a s**t s**t w**k of a driver but the chap at the back is still responsible as he should have left enough space and time to brake in any event.

RB 200
Id have took the first exit and found somewhere sensible to turn around and go back on the roundabout to take the correct exit.

Just me?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
My wife had similar accident but was in the opposite position to you, 2 lane round about, she was in the right lane turning left on to a 2 lane road, was indicating left, so was doing everything correctly (as highway code). The other drive was in the left lane trying to go right to go all the way round the roundabout. Other drivers insurance argued it was 50/50, even our insurance wanted to settle 50/50! But we kept on arguing and they eventually they gave up and it went in our favour.
Heres the diagram I drew for the claim.

GeorginaCrash040806.jpg

Admitdly, it was more side to side in her case, but your lucky they are offering 50/50 as if they went further it could and likely would end up completely against you.

100 excuses and what ifs..... You was in the wrong end of move on and learn from it.:)

I get what you did happen to me daily. And lol at leaving space to brake couple of posts up.

Maybe carry on up the road to the next island etc or make a u-turn when safe to do so. Stupidness cutting across 2-3 lanes of fast moving traffic.

Lucky its not points/fine for careless driving or due care and attention.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I failed my driving test changing lane once on a rounabout so its a no go I'd guess. Also from my experience once the insurance company make there decision you're best just sticking with it.

once the insurance company make there decision you're best just sticking with it.

Not true. I fought an insurance company for a good two months. They tried to write off my car and failed. In the end they gave up because of all the costs racking up and gave me what I wanted all along.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I was on about there conclusion to who was at fault mate. Unless you clearly know there decision was wrong.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I use that roundabout every day and still don't know what you are trying to say. Which direction were you coming from, which exit were you trying to take and which lane was you in?

Suzuki Jimny
You need to treat every single car on the road as an utter cretin. I frequently see cars going right on a roundabout in the left hand lane so always leave space for people.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
I use that roundabout every day and still don't know what you are trying to say. Which direction were you coming from, which exit were you trying to take and which lane was you in?

IThey zoomed off down the london exit just outside of the photo. I missed the exit just after the kfc headed back towards norwich. As for what lane was I in, Since there are 4 lanes it was one of 2 the middle lanes. I dont remember which one but just looking at the tyre push mark I think it was the one further away from center of roundabout.