ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lotus Elise S1 x 3 - Sport 190, K20A2

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Thanks guys!

Which one has the K20 conversion? Something I've always wanted to do at some point.

Is it the s2000 engine?

Yes, the yellow one. The engine is from an EP3 Civic. It sounds unreal and although it's not quite as fast as the blue one (280bhp, supercharged) it's a lot nicer to live with as it's not as highly tuned. Just an exhaust, filter and remap.

When the VTEC comes in, as well as the engine note change, the whole car seems to resonate and the seat vibrates - very involving!

Every Elise and Exige I've shot has been owned by the same dealer - he's bought and sold over 200 and really rates the Honda conversion.

Yes, the yellow one. The engine is from an EP3 Civic. It sounds unreal and although it's not quite as fast as the blue one (280bhp, supercharged) it's a lot nicer to live with as it's not as highly tuned. Just an exhaust, filter and remap.

When the VTEC comes in, as well as the engine note change, the whole car seems to resonate and the seat vibrates - very involving!

Every Elise and Exige I've shot has been owned by the same dealer - he's bought and sold over 200 and really rates the Honda conversion.

Name or link of said dealer please mate? Interested to have a nosey lol.

if looking at Honda converted elises , ask who did the conversion ans which kit they used

.also ask if it had a legitamet cat fitted and passes a real MOT

there are lots of very very shoddy conversions with Bent MOT's out there as the honda conversion has been around for a long time

other popular conversions are Duratec ,which i think is was better suited to the elise as it actually has torque , or if you want the turbo route the 1.8 audi conversion .

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Fantastic photos!

Really want to try some light painting on cars myself - any tips?

Thanks! As for tips:

• Use 6-15 second exposures and light a bit of the car at a time, then blend in Photoshop.
  • Make sure it's pitch black, your long exposures will amplify any stray light.
  • Point your light at the car, focus then switch to manual so it doesn't try focusing in the dark for each shot.
  • Use a good light source, a phone LED flash or a torch won't work too well, you need something like this 120 LED Video Light - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111244260955
  • Take an ambient light exposure for the background before you start, otherwise most of the bg will be black.
  • A remote trigger (or a mate) will save walking between the camera and the car for each shot.

The hardest bit is getting good highlights along the shoulder of the car (I failed above) and balancing the lighting of the car and the background, especially the ground underneath the car, so it looks right.

The two most common errors I've seen when people try this is 1) not enough light on the top of the car and 2) not a bright enough light source, some you can barely tell are light painted.

if looking at Honda converted elises , ask who did the conversion ans which kit they used

.also ask if it had a legitamet cat fitted and passes a real MOT

there are lots of very very shoddy conversions with Bent MOT's out there as the honda conversion has been around for a long time

other popular conversions are Duratec ,which i think is was better suited to the elise as it actually has torque , or if you want the turbo route the 1.8 audi conversion .

Just been having a read about these K20 conversions. They're not cheap!!!

Not seen a mention of a Duratec conversion yet though. Have you seen this done before? Or are you saying it would just be another alternative. Sorry I've just re read that you said 'other popular' conversions.

Last edited:
The 3 that get done are duratec , k20a and audi , the most popular is the cheapest , k20a was the first comercial conversion done and cheapest ,though no engine swap is cheap