ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud ticking type noise when accelerating

MG ZS180 Mk2
Hello people.

At my wits end now with this. When accelerating (hard or normal) I get a very loud ticking type vibration noise which sounds like it is coming from the front end of the car.

If you have the window open and then floor it, you can really hear it rattle/tick/vibrate. I have checked under the bonnet, removed the engine cover and prodded and poked the heat sheilds thinking it was one of those.

If I rev the car when parked up, it doesn't make the noise, only when moving. I would love to get it fixed as it sounds like I have a really old car (its an 05 182 FF) thats falling to pieces.

Any ideas on what to check? I noticed after a bit of a hammering the cat really smells but thats fairly normal isn't it (egg/bad fart smell)?

If anyone gives a suggestion and it fixes it you get a free gift. :cool:

Oh, I beat a Maserati Coupé this morning up to 60 and then there was traffic so couldn't go any faster.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
thats it, reduces fuel vapour. it makes a ticking noise on mine, a new one solves it, but the ticking will probably come back. but they also tend to be noticeable on idle as well, but you said it isnt happening. So maybe not then.

im sure someone will know...

MG ZS180 Mk2
I have this feeling my exhaust is blowing or something. When I reverse of my drive in the morning I can smell quite a bit of exhaust fumes.

mine does this mate between 2 and 3 k but i think its because i need the aux belt changing and idler but dont really now it has been on fully sny oil from new so cant be tappets i dont think!!!

Megane 230 R26
could it be tappets?

If I rev the car when parked up, it doesn't make the noise, only when moving.

So negative on the tappets theory.

I know this sounds devastatingly simple but have you checked if you've got a stone, nail or screw in one of the tyres? I was driving along in my old Clio 1.2 one day and there was a ticking noise which sped up / slowed down as the car did, opened the window and it was even louder, and upon inspection I had a nail in one of the front tyres!

no defo not for me mate the noise it actually alot worse when i have the air con on on the climate control ..which leads me to believe its because the aux belt and idler need changing ??

MG ZS180 Mk2
Its not a nail in the tyre this time. The harder I put my foot down, the louder it gets. If I gently increase speed you can only just hear it but when I floor it, it gets quite loud.

I will have to get under it and have a look at the cat.