ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud ticking type noise when ONLY accelerating

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
When i accelerate i can hear a faint ticking type noise coming from engine area. if i take my foot off the accelerator the ticking goes away instantly (car is still moving) it only does this ticking noise when accelerating. ticking noise only happens when using accelerator fast or slow. anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks from pete

PH2 172
When i accelerate i can hear a faint ticking type noise coming from engine area. if i take my foot off the accelerator the ticking goes away instantly (car is still moving) it only does this ticking noise when accelerating. ticking noise only happens when using accelerator fast or slow. anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks from pete

Exhaust manifold gasket.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
oil is ok and Exhaust manifold would mean it would tick noise on tick over as well as acceleration right ?

PH2 172
Exhaust manifold would mean it would tick noise on tick over as well as acceleration right ?
Very slightly, but other noises such as belts, induction would drown it out on idle.
Under load, there is an increased volume/pressure of exhaust gas to force its way past any leaking gasket or crack, resulting in a louder noise.
Also movement of the engine under load can open up any gap between the head & manifold, as the exhaust system is fairly rigidly mounted.
Try doing the exhaust manifold nuts up for starters, which will reveal any broken studs/missing nuts or stripped threads.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
i will check manifold gasket. having a look i see i will have to remove valve cover to get assess to it. does anyone know if i can remove the manifold from the top? i want to replace gasket for manifold and valve cover as its leaking slightly onto manifold making bad smell when using air vents.

PH2 172
i will check manifold gasket. having a look i see i will have to remove valve cover to get assess to it. does anyone know if i can remove the manifold from the top? i want to replace gasket for manifold and valve cover as its leaking slightly onto manifold making bad smell when using air vents.

You can get access to the 6 manifold nuts from underneath the car, but please do NOT lie underneath the car relying only on the axle stands for your safety.
This has the advantage that you run the engine to check for leaks, something you cannot do with the throttle body removed.
TBH, I would get an exhaust centre to put it up on a ramp to take a look.
Also, if you block the tail pipe with a rag, any leaks should be apparent.
If you are going to replace the valve cover gasket, check the valve clearances at the same time, as they probably have not been looked at in a long time.
They are screw & lock nut on the D4F engine, not hydraulic.
There is a Haynes manual available for the 1.2L models.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
i was going to check and adjust the valve clearances but after a good google it seems you have to do them in order and TDC set and so on and it got too complicated for me.Last thing i want to do is screw the engine up. i really wanted to do it as i do have loud tappets car has done just over 100,000 miles.i do have a haynes manual. i could use drive on ramps for the front to check manifold ?i chock the back up with bricks as i always do.

PH2 172
i was going to check and adjust the valve clearances but after a good google it seems you have to do them in order and TDC set and so on and it got too complicated for me.Last thing i want to do is screw the engine up. i really wanted to do it as i do have loud tappets car has done just over 100,000 miles.i do have a haynes manual. i could use drive on ramps for the front to check manifold ?i chock the back up with bricks as i always do.

It`s not complicated, start with No 1 cylinder ( gearbox end on a clio ),watch the inlet valve close ( if the exhaust valve starts to open, you are turning it the wrong way ) & bring it up to TDC.
Check clearance between rocker arm & valve with feelers in this position, & adjust as required.
Next up should 3, then 4 & finally 2, but it really does not matter if you do them one by one as long as you take it to TDC after the inlet has closed on the cylinder in question.
I`d still rather give someone a drink to put it on a lift to check out any exhaust manifold problem than grovel about on my back underneath a car 10 inches above my head.