ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

low disc space??

CLIO PH1 172
before i start i want you to know i now fek all about pcs.

basicly whats low disc space, what is my disc space??

iv got a new pc given to me and dont no whats its like its got all adobe stuff on photoshop, indesign, ilustator ect......

i had all this on my laptop before and it all run fine, i could have PS ID and a few internet pages up all at the same time and the laptop would run as normal(would never slow down ect....)

on the new computer if i have 1 internet page up and say PS a message pops up from were the clock is and says u have low disc space??? and PS is reallllly slow i cant use all the tools proply ect...

sorry if i sound dumb or have made a long story but just need help as i want to use the pc for all my design stuff???

any help apricated thanks:)

Audi S3 225
It means your harddrive where the computer stores all your files/programs is almost full. Go to the control panel then 'Add/Remove Programs' and uninstall anything you dont use. Also go to My computer then right click on your 'C' drive then properties, run Disk Cleanup and this will remove some temp files and other crap your computer doesn't need.

CLIO PH1 172
cheers iv just looked in add/remove soft ware and thers nothing i can really delete il give it a clean like u said see what happens?

182, turbo rx8, 911
It basically means your harddrive (The storage) on your PC is nearly full. If it's a new PC it's unlikely that you will be able to remove *that* much.
Go to 'my computer' right click on the C:\ and click properties, it will now tell you how big the harddrive is and how much space you are using.

Like said above the main items to take up space are, pictures, movies, music and any engineer type cad files

CLIO PH1 172
seems i have 3 hard drives WTH??? heres what in MyComputer as u can see c: drive is full E: and F: drives are empty is it simply a case of putin some software in to then folders to free space on the c:drive??

mycomputer.jpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Programs try to install to c:\ drive as defaults, thats probably why.

How much memory does the computer have, maybe there is not enough room on the c:\ drive to run the memory buffer thing.

CLIO PH1 172
but if i drag say Photoshop in to the f:\ drive will it still work as normal and free space on my c:\ drive?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No don't think so, i think you'd have to uninstall photoshop, then reinstall it on one of the other drives.

I'm not 100% sure, i've not really dabeled with comps since about windows 98 lol

koi

Audi S1
You might have some problems running the programs if you move them to your other drives so I would avoid doing this.

I would move things like music/pics/movies/p**n to your other drives to clear up some space on your c drive

koi

Audi S1
do you know how many actual physical hard drives are in your pc?

you might be able to repartition it to give more space to the c drive

CLIO PH1 172
no i dont sorry. how could i find out? like i say im a complete nob when it comes to the workings of a pc

koi

Audi S1
no i dont sorry. how could i find out? like i say im a complete nob when it comes to the workings of a pc

You said it lol, might be worthwhile getting a friend who knows a bit then to give you a hand.

But you can check how many drives you have by doing this (assuming you have Windows XP)

Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK
Click Disk Management

koi

Audi S1
No you only have 1 physical 60GB hard drive which has been split up.

You can use a program like Partition Magic to resize it. Sure there will be some free programs around, just search with google

For example, you can have:
c: 60gb
c: 40gb / d: 20gb

I'm sure you get the idea...

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Get yourself a bigger hard drive. They cost s**t pence these days anyway.

CLIO PH1 172
thanks for all the help guys im gunna get a mate to have a look see what i need to get it running nice

again thanks people