ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low light photography

2008 Albi 197
I'm interested in getting some low light/night shots, but being a beginner I'm not sure what the best settings for the camera would be to get good results.

I have a Canon 350D with kit lens and a Sigma APO 70 -300mm lens, and also access to a 450D possibly.

Any tips will be appreciated!

SchwepTek™
Get yourself a tripod and then use Tv mode on either 350D or 450D.

Wack the shutter speed up to over 5 seconds or more and have a play!

2008 Albi 197
Thanks guys, will give this a go tomorrow all being well - don't have a remote but do have a tripod so we shall see.

FF RB 182
Thanks guys, will give this a go tomorrow all being well - don't have a remote but do have a tripod so we shall see.

Use the timer function until you get a remote, reduces the chances of shaking the camera on the tripod when you press the shutter.

What are you shooting in this low light?

If it isn't moving or you don't want to freeze the movement, yup tripod + mirror lock up should do.

2008 Albi 197
Use the timer function until you get a remote, reduces the chances of shaking the camera on the tripod when you press the shutter.

Thanks sophance, never thought of that actually!

What are you shooting in this low light?

If it isn't moving or you don't want to freeze the movement, yup tripod + mirror lock up should do.

It's going to be cars mostly to start with, at dusk time, so yea no movement for now.

I also like the shots I've seen people do over motorways/duel carriageways, where the car lights are blurred into a long line of light - is this the same principal with a slow shutter speed and keeping the camera still?