ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low oil pressure - help!

The only thing that slightly bothers me about my new Willy is that the oil pressure gauge goes straight to 0 bar once the engine gets to 60degC. I wouldnt expect that even at 160degC!!

Since the car is only on 54k, I doubt its the oil seals - so maybe its the sensor unit? The oil pressure gauge otherwise moves up and down in the usual way.

Help and experience much appreciated!

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Wouldnt worry about it my sometimes does that. Might be worth changing the oil though if you dont know whats in there.

Oil pressure does go low once warmed up, and I aint sure these valve guages read consistantly. Do an oil change with correct grade and see, but wouldnt worry about it, as its the oil light that really matters! is she running sound otherwise?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

after a full rebuild, mine sits at just under 1 bar when fully warmed at idle, around 3 when normal driving and just under max when im giving it some.

most iv seen sit at 0 bar on idle though mate

Ph1 172, Mini 2.0l T

My valver was the same, sat on 0 at tick over when warm but no oil light and gauge moved when you rev it. Changed sensors but no difference. In the end I took the motor out when the gearbox was on its last legs and rebuilt it. Crank and bearings showed signs of wear so ground crank and new bearings, bores ok but honed and new rings. Oil pump was in tolerance so I reused it. Anyway once rebuilt it now runs a constant 1 bar at tick over even on boiling hot days, 6 bar when cold, 3.5 bar when hot (4000rpm). The biggest improvement was in performance, considering the motor was not particulary worn out the drop in performance seems huge. In the end I gave the car to my wife and bought a 172 but its good to Know the valver is reliable (and fast)

Cheers guys

Im picking up the car on Friday and will give it a full inspection then. I find it difficult to see that its down to engine wear as the car is on a genuine 54k miles and there were also no oil leaks I could see. Ill change the oil for starters and take it from there. But perhaps it will eventually need a rebuild, even on this low a mileage?

My oil pressure gauge will read right up to 6bar on cold... but once fully warmed up sits on 1 bar @ idle and will rise up to 5bar under full load.

If its reading 0 then i could only guess its something to do with the sender unit/gauge or the grade of oil perhaps... :confused: at 54k i cant see the engine being too warn unless its never had a oil change, lol!

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I ve now put in mobil 1 15w50 and it sits at 1 bar when warm. And just around 3 bar when driving also when warm. Thats with 90k on the clock. used to be load lower on 10w40.

Ive got mobil 15w50 in my engine, which has done 95k miles. I was concerned about the oil pressure reading so I took some values down and was hoping to review the situation every XXk miles. The data is as follows, which may or maynot be helpful:

RPM 40C 60C 80C 100C

1000 2 1.8 1.2 1 (0.9)

2000 3.5 3 2.1 2

3000 4.5 4 3.75 3.5 bar

Test done with oil at 95% of max

I hope you can make sence of this data?

I would be very interested to know if these are typical or poor values?

Regards, Rossa

Revels Mum & Sister

Mine sits at 1.5 Bar on Idle! When fully warmed up. When thrashing rises to 5 Bar a tocuh above. When colder and being revved. Up to 6 all the way!

Ben where you been!

I think(know) it helps to have good oil. Mobil 15W50 fully synthetic is available at halfords for about £40 for 4 litres.