ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low/rough idle 500-600 RPM Clio 172?? Recent coil pack, leads and sparks...

Renault Clio 197
Hi, Recently bought a Renault Clio 172. Once going runs great, pulls hard in all gears. Only problem is it seems to be idling low around 500-600 and sounding like it could cut out. It starts first time and hasn't yet actually cut out when idle but never gets about 600ish rpm. Looked in paperwork it came with and had new coil pack, leads and spark plugs about 3,000 miles ago. I've read around and i've seen people say it could be TDC sensor and Lambda sensor. I've also read that it could be the 'timing' - belts etc have been done in the last two years. What are your suggestions? Try replacing TDC and Lambda sensor?? Any help is appreciated.

Renault Clio 197
Booking in health check with Diamond Renault Motors so they should find the problem...Not sure how to delete post

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
thatd be good... only a matter of time before it happens to me I expect

Maybe Idle control valve- take it off and squirty clean up?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Yeah please update this once you sort it please @rupes1351
If Mick was closer I'd be taking mine there in a heartbeat. I'll find the time to get over one day soon.

PH2 172
Hi, Recently bought a Renault Clio 172. Once going runs great, pulls hard in all gears. Only problem is it seems to be idling low around 500-600 and sounding like it could cut out. It starts first time and hasn't yet actually cut out when idle but never gets about 600ish rpm. Looked in paperwork it came with and had new coil pack, leads and spark plugs about 3,000 miles ago. I've read around and i've seen people say it could be TDC sensor and Lambda sensor. I've also read that it could be the 'timing' - belts etc have been done in the last two years. What are your suggestions? Try replacing TDC and Lambda sensor?? Any help is appreciated.
Turn the A/C off.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As per the link above, we use electronic throttles now which allows the ECU to control the idle directly... No IACV's required

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Could easily be coolant temp sensor... does it do it both cold and hot or just cold or just hot?

It's what sends the ECU information to control idle/vacuum advance/injector feeling info etc.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Could easily be coolant temp sensor... does it do it both cold and hot or just cold or just hot?

It's what sends the ECU information to control idle/vacuum advance/injector feeling info etc.
If it does it when cold and hot does that point to the cts?

Sounds like my symptoms when I had a failing injector. Had a misfire which was remedied with a new injector but the idle was dog rough still. It would feel like it was stalling at traffic stops but wouldn't actually stall. It wasn't tdc, map or coolant sensor as none of those made any difference when I replaced them. Had a spare injector set, used, so tried one of them and hey presto the rough idle stopped immediately. It was strange because under load and acceleration it felt fine just when idling. Just thought id share my recent experience, this happened about 6 weeks ago and hasn't missed a beat since.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
If it does it when cold and hot does that point to the cts?

Ah I may have misread your initial post sorry... If it does it when cold and when fully up to temperature then I would say probably not. If it was just from cold, then I'd say yes as the CTS gives the ECU information for spark advance, fueling etc in conjunction with the lambda for cold start conditions.

Renault Clio 197
Update - Mick performed the health check last Friday. Aux drive belt was incorrect length and Dephaser Pulley was worn and making noise. Timing is out which is causing the symptoms. Also a leaking water pump so a bodge job had previously been carried out. Belts and Water pump change booked in early March.