ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering 172

Hello peeps. Have done a search on this but need to ask a few questions anyhoo.

Is it worth while fitting lowering springs to my 03 172 using the original shockers? Im thinking on getting the Apex ones that lower it 40mm. Ill be keeping the standard alloys on so will I get any rubbing at all? And also will I have to get tracking or anything else done afterwards?

Anyone had the Apex ones fitted and how does it affect the ride? Will it make it too bouncy?

Loads of thanks for any input.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you can use your original shocks and the alloys wont rub. do a search as they has been a few recent topics about this lately.

it wont rub on stds with a 40mm drop, as for springs everyone who has bought the eibachs has raved about them so i would choose those over the apex. as for tracking etc it may need slight adjustment so get it checked out once the springs have gone on

Megane225FF

"Had my Eibachs on for 20,000 miles now - standard shocks are still fine."

which type have you got on? isnt there a sport and a pro or something?

Am thinking of fitting em to mine...

Along with Mike and many others on the forum, I have the Eibach Pro-Kit on mine, been on for around 1500 miles now, all I can say is do it !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yep got the Eibachs too, I dont have anything negative to say about them.. its all good.

As someone said before about fitting the eibachs to the 172.

"Its the way the 172 should have left the factory"

Couldnt agree more.

If you join the club there is even a handy guide on how to fit em..

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Parky172 on 02 April 2004

How much do the Pros lower it by? Are they black, if so then I may not mention to insurance company ;)
Its a subtle drop - the springs are black. Extremely unlikely anyone would notice - certainly the mechanics at my local dealer have never mentioned it.

I also want to lower my clio. I like the idea that the eibach give good handeling improvments but i want to lower it more than 10mm as im gonna put 17s on it soon and i think it will be to high otherwise. Any sugestions?? cheers

Sports are also a little stiffer than the Pro springs I believe and come in bright red! check the Eibach web site or K Tec for the spec. Most people seem to go for the Pro kit unless they want a radical drop. Fitted pro kit to my wifes 172 yesterday, shes only been round the block so far but commented it was a tad firm, I reminded her thats how she likes it ;) so no complaining!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

fitted some of those k-tec(apex) springs on saturday. the ride was ok and the drop was noticable. think im going to order some now.

Think Ill probably stick to the Eibach Pros. After reading some older posts, there has been mention of having brake bias altered on cars that have been lowered about 40+mm. Dunno if this is necessary on a 172 with that brake EBD? Also people hav reported drops of between 15mm to 30mm with them. I will be happy with that, especially as my insurance company aint gonna find out as theyll be black springs. Not sure about alignment tho, will just wait until I get some uneven tyre wear I suppose unless the ride is cack.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

there isnt a brake bias valve on the 172 as it is not needed because abs prevents wheel lock up anyway. might be worth having an allignment check done though.

Cheers bud, cant wait to get it done. Just hope mine is one of the ones that ends up lowering a decent amount. Waiting to get it done is almost just as exciting as it was waiting to get the car in the first place. I need a life (and a girl) or a PS2!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

im stuck on here half of the time so ill not be far behind you looking for a life as well!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

no its a custom made ascar exhaust. the silencers are cobra and its all stainless steel and gauranteed. the tail pipe is oval like the magnex. Good peice of kit but it was a bit loud so i changed it for the magnex. my mates got the same ascar system on his 172 as well and he loves it. Its probably about as loud as the k-tec one i should think. just bumped it to the top in the for sale section so have a look.

Fitted mt eibachs this weekend, not really had much of a chance to drive it, but had tracking checked out and it was well out.

Im waiting for my exhaust to crumble away as I want either SuperSprint or new hidden K-Tec one. Shouldnt be too long now if the exhaust is made to the same w**k quality as my driveshaft was (replaced after about 13.5K miles!)

As the springs take time to settle, is it not a good idea to wait a few weeks to get tracking/alignment done unless its really noticeable?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Parky172 on 04 April 2004

As the springs take time to settle, is it not a good idea to wait a few weeks to get tracking/alignment done unless its really noticeable?
You should get the tracking checked straight away - itll be miles out. But youre right - it needs to be re-checked after a few weeks - most wheel-alignment places (Kwik-fit etc) will do a re-check free.

I had my tracking checked about 2 weeks after having my springs done and there was nothing wrong with it ???????

:confused:

Ive just ordered an Eibach Sportline Spring Kit for my new 172 (2003). I am now worried it will be too low, does anyone know how much it will lower. Everything else is standard at the mo.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 05 April 2004

I had my tracking checked about 2 weeks after having my springs done and there was nothing wrong with it ???????

:confused:
Maybe it was out to start with and the springs have corrected it :p

Possibly ! LOL ! But I asked them to check it during my service and they said it was fine ! Hmmmmmmmmmmm ! Reckon I should get it checked again ?

Quote: Originally posted by BirdRacer on 05 April 2004

Ive just ordered an Eibach Sportline Spring Kit for my new 172 (2003). I am now worried it will be too low, does anyone know how much it will lower. Everything else is standard at the mo.
Anyone got any ideas, I think it is in the region of 40mm but Eibach wouldnt commit, they reckon theyve had a problem with Axel weights on the 172?????!!??

Lee

BMW M2C

I think y0z used the Sportline springs, but not on standard dampers. Its certainly not too low.

More expense then for new dampers!! BOO HOO!! Im wondering if I should swap for the pro kit then as Eibach said they are gonna be 2 weeks till they get the Sportline in. HMMMMMM! Decisions!

Clio II and Grand Modus

Get the Sportline, will drop a non 172 -50mm so aprox. -30-35mm on a 172. No point in getting the pro-kit on a 172 if you want to lower it as it´s only lower about -10-15mm. Get the pro-dampers with the sport-line springs and the 172 will handle almost as good as mine.........;)

Just ordered my Pros from Motorworld. Cost £74.99. Does this sound too cheap? Bloke insisted they were correct ones for my car as he double checked with someone at Eibach

Quote: Originally posted by Michael on 05 April 2004

Get the Sportline, will drop a non 172 -50mm so aprox. -30-35mm on a 172. No point in getting the pro-kit on a 172 if you want to lower it as it´s only lower about -10-15mm. Get the pro-dampers with the sport-line springs and the 172 will handle almost as good as mine.........;)
Thanks for that! Not sure I can stretch to the dampers yet! Is it best that I wait and get the whole lot put on at once? How long will my current dampers survive with the Sportline springs?

Quote: Originally posted by Parky172 on 05 April 2004

Just ordered my Pros from Motorworld. Cost £74.99. Does this sound too cheap? Bloke insisted they were correct ones for my car as he double checked with someone at Eibach
That does sound TOO cheap to be honest ! I had mine for £99 and that was only because they messed up the price in the advert !