ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering a Trophy

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Mark Fish is your Man but IIRC his Custom Springs only lowered it by 5mm-10mm

Renault spent all that time and money developing the suspension and you want to fiddle with it?? lol one thing I don't plan on touching is the suspension

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
this man talk's sense!

would look the sex! all 1*2's/trophy's are way too high as standard imo
The Trophy is that height for a reason. Low cars may 'look' good, but it leads to reduced suspension travel, which is not a good thing on our roads.

ITB'd 182...
The Trophy is that height for a reason. Low cars may 'look' good, but it leads to reduced suspension travel, which is not a good thing on our roads.

yep. but for cosmetic reasons a low trophy would look stunning imo.....

ITB'd 182...
i own a cup packed 182 and was'nt happy with the handling/ride height so i fitted H&R coilies and it transformed the car.
and it looks sooo much better!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah, i wouldn't have a problem with messing with my 182 suspension either, lol ;)

P.S. Yours does look ace.

Renaultsport 220T
Having tested Matt's car both before and after Mark transformed it to fully adjustable damping all round and rid it of it's 4x4 look, I would have to say that it is a big improvement over standard, and not just in looks.

The set up with the lower springs and koni adjustables on the rear, transform the car into one that is as good as you will get, without replacing it with coilovers. We have done back to back tests over some demanding a and b roads too. The back end is more planted to the road, giving more confidence under braking and entering corners.

The adjustability at the rear is really good for on track, as well as the unpinned Sachs at the front, gives you a lot more fine tuning of setting up the car.

I know there an opinion that the trophy shouldn't be modified, but it's only a Renault at the end of the day, not a classic Porsche.

So Rexina, talk to the Fish!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
^^ This man talks sense!!

Trophy could have been another 30mm lower as standard with no issues (including the dampers).

You've gotta remember the market the trophy appeals to which includes older people who don't want it lower (and would probably think it looked worse lower for that matter).

It's that height as a compromise for road use. If it's the perfect height, why are cup racers much lower? (Yes, there are other reasons for why they are like this and why the trophy isnt.)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
^^ This man talks sense!!

Trophy could have been another 30mm lower as standard with no issues (including the dampers).

You've gotta remember the market the trophy appeals to which includes older people who don't want it lower (and would probably think it looked worse lower for that matter).

It's that height as a compromise for road use. If it's the perfect height, why are cup racers much lower? (Yes, there are other reasons for why they are like this and why the trophy isnt.)
Well, you've answered your own question there. They are race cars, they don't have to deal with the bumps that a road car does. The 1*2's are short of suspension travel, which is why they lose composure on bumpy roads at the limit. The Trophy's ride height, combined with it's more sophisticated bump stops, improve the composure significantly.
I think a lot of people are speaking having never driven a Trophy, and regard it as a 182. It's a very different car to drive.
(PS, utter nonsense about old people and ride height, made me chuckle. Pretty sure 99% of the population don't care how high/low a car sits).

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, but if you fit coilovers or go lower or whatever you have to understand that you've got to avoid potholes and slow right down for speedbumps etc which is something a lot of people don't really want to do i.e. they'd rather just drive it as if it was a 'normal' car.

I bet if you showed an older person (who may not particularly be into cars), they'd tell you that a clio on standard sus looked far better than a lowered clio. Then again if you wern't really into cars you probably wouldn't buy the trophy.

A trophy isn't just a 182 no, it is much stiffer etc (more than I expected before going in one tbh).

As sm_wrc has said, tests have been done with it lower and it performed better, so maybe there is more to the std trophy height than just the handling?