ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering advice needed!

Clio 1.2 8v (2002)
I have just put a set of 17" alloys on my clio 1.2/2002 (small i know, but it's all I could afford). I would like to lower it as it's sitting to high. Just could do with some advice such as how low can it go without being unsafe, should I change just the springs (which are the best?) or the entire suspension? I'm new to this so could I'd be grateful to hear from people who know what they're talking about, because I don't. Cheers!​

Chocolate Bar™
17's too small? too big in my honest opinion.

can lower it upto 80mm on coilovers, or safely to 60mm on a spring and damper setup - such as the apex kit.

if your lowering anything further than 35/40mm i would definetely change the dampers.

Definatly get matching dampers and springs (or coilovers), springs alone I don't rate very highly.
Apex do a good vbalue springs and damper kit selection but FK coilovers are the popular choice as they give you the option of fixing the height as you want/need.

Disastra Coupe
17" too small?!?! :S Are you mad? Biggest I'd ever go lol. But Middo, surely you can't lower it 80mm on 17s? I'm considering 16s or 17s on my new Mk2 Phase1, but don't know how much I could lower it without too many problems, so this could be a handy topic :)

Golf R/Leon FR
definatley go no less than 60mm either coilovers or springs, and 17" aren't too small dude too big imho!! should stick to 16"'s. 17" slow you down!

Disastra Coupe
Ah, re-reading it I see what you mean Fred :eek:
Garf, could you really drop it 60mm on 17s? Although to be fair I do prefer the idea of 16s.

Lionel Richie
ch!ppen said:
Ah, re-reading it I see what you mean Fred :eek:
Garf, could you really drop it 60mm on 17s? Although to be fair I do prefer the idea of 16s.

you can drop it 100mm on 17's

Disastra Coupe
Surely that looks abit mank though? And hit's everything? Some pictures of examples with wheel size and how much it's lowered being stated would be nice ;)

Lionel Richie
a bit mank????
IMG_0569.jpg

Disastra Coupe
LMAO @ Fred. Hmm, don't know that I fancy going to that extreme, although it does look awesome. 60mm don't look too bad an 16s. Think that's what I may go for :)