ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lowering advise please

1.4 16v Clio sport
i am just looking at lowering kits , what is the main difference between them cause gsf sell them for £24 but other places sell for like 250 pounds < is the only difference the quality or is there more to it than that ??

thanks

MK3 GTI golf 16v
if you aint got enough money to spend on coilovers, get a spring clamping kit. youlll need 3 kits. there about £20-£25 each. alot cheaper than coilovers but not as comfy to drive on

Dodgy one
if you aint got enough money to spend on coilovers, get a spring clamping kit. youlll need 3 kits. there about £20-£25 each. alot cheaper than coilovers but not as comfy to drive on

Just dont bother, I've seen these advertised in Halfords that says it all.

The word is if you cant afford to do it properly dont bother, a set of sportlines is only £100 odd FFS!

MK3 GTI golf 16v
them clamping kits aint bad though, mates got them on his golf and its alright. but yeah set of lowering springs would be best choice

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
cheap springs will be useless, go for branded springs, (eibach, apex, spax, gmax etc)

Those spring clamps look scarey to me! i wouldnt want to touch a spring with such a poxy clamp fighting the force of the spring!
id sooner just cut the spring in half!

best value is the rokkor coilover kit, only about 140 atm,
or just buy springs for £80ish (£40 second hand)
or if youre even tighter than that! get an angle grinder and cut 2 coils off the standard springs!

Spring clamping kits? As in driving around with clamps attached that are designed for compressing the spring before taking it off the shock absorber? That's pikey as f*ck!

1.2 Dynamique
get eibach prolines/sportlines.

Iv got prolines on mine and i like them.

Only cost £80 second hand too

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Spring clamping kits? As in driving around with clamps attached that are designed for compressing the spring before taking it off the shock absorber? That's pikey as f*ck!

340088.jpg

basically this,
you clamp an entire coil together using 4bolts and 2plates!
fantastically pickey, and doesnt look like something id like on my car! lol

S4 Avant
them clamping kits aint bad though, mates got them on his golf and its alright. but yeah set of lowering springs would be best choice

Sweet mother of god no.

Seriously unwise. The spring is meant to be able to move freely, keeping it clamped up stores a lot of potential energy, which if released could do lots of potential sh*t.

e92 330i
Those spring clamps are designed to stay on your car? WTF?! Can't be serious, if you clamp springs they could fall out of the rear if you hit a Pot hole or move about in the strut and cause damage, that's dangerous tbh, what will they think of next!

Clio 1.4s Ph1!
340088.jpg

basically this,

Surely these are for compressing the spring before taking it off! What happens when it strips the thread and you're doing anything over 5 mph....

Iceberg 172
340088.jpg

basically this,

Holy s**t!!!!! I've never seen these before! I don't like using a proper spring compressor when removing springs (seen pics of when a Spring has sprung up through some poor feela's jaw... not pretty) let alone driving around with them like that!!!!

What happens when you hit a pot hole and these let go!!! UH OH!!!

What happens when you go over a crest, car goes light, spring doesn't fall back into the cup on the shock because they're compressed with these pieces of tat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd get some springs if I was on a budget.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
The suspension is probably one of the most important things to get right on a car so why people buy nasty crap like that I dont know. You will probably find they are for 'show use only'
For Springs the Eibach Pro-kit and Eibach Sportline kit stand out from the rest. I dont want to have to worry about which roads are in good condition so the car does not fall apart!

340088.jpg

basically this,

Unbelievably dodgy, people with ideas like this should not be allowed near cars.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I can't believe people are driving about with spring clamps FITTED to their car :eek:

As said, dangerous as feck!

In fact you'd probably be safer taking an angle grinder to the springs or even removing them altogether - which is also illegal but people have done that too! :dead:

PS - PLEASE for the love of GOD don't do any of the above! ^^^

Clio 1.4s Ph1!
I can't believe people are driving about with spring clamps FITTED to their car :eek:

As said, dangerous as feck!

In fact you'd probably be safer taking an angle grinder to the springs
or even removing them altogether - which is alsoillegal but people have done that too! :dead:

PS - PLEASE for the love of GOD don't do any of the above! ^^^

Be safe taking an angle grinder to the fuel tank.