ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering Springs on the way!

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
How much did they cost you? Thinking about getting either the sportlines or apex ones for my Mk2 2000 also. Would you throw pics up on this board once you get them / get them fitted?

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Call me an idiot (because technically that's what I am to all this stuff), but the listing specifies this;
"EIBACH Sportline LOWERING SPRINGS Renault Clio A (B/C) 1.1 1.2 1.4 1.7 1.8 1.9 - (05.90 - 09.98) - LOWERS FRONT BY 45-50 mm & REAR BY 30 mm -PART NUMBER : E20-75-001-01-20"

Will that fit your Mk2 2000?

There is another set on eBay that says 98 - 3 and they all look exactly the same so im assuming so. I thought mine fell under Clio B 1.2 I could be wrong lol? We will see if I can get them to fit when they come unless someone can shed some light on if I made a boo boo?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
There is another set on eBay that says 98 - 3 and they all look exactly the same so im assuming so. I thought mine fell under Clio B 1.2 I could be wrong lol? We will see if I can get them to fit when they come unless someone can shed some light on if I made a boo boo?

if you have bought the ones that are listed as 90-98 then no they probably wont fit your car as they are completely different cars. 90-98 is the mark 1 clio. just because they used the same picture for both listings doesn't mean there the same springs.

also when take your suspensions apart you will probably want to use a spring clamp to slowly release the springs tension, else you might end up firing them a fair distance. or at the least aim the spring away from everything because if it hits anything it will break it

MK3 GTI golf 16v
as dweeb said aswell to be honest. £100 for springs seems alot seen as how you can get cheap coil-overs for a few penny's more. or second hand decent collies

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
I reckon if you mail him saying "I was in a rush" or "The GF bought the wrong ones" something along those lines and either ask for a swap or a refund he will do it. Unless he's sent them out already in which case he may accept returns (should say on the listing) or else you'll have to sell them on!

Edit

It looks like they accept returns;
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EIBACH-Sportline-LOWERING-SPRINGS-Renault-Clio-90-98-/290565642001?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a70fd711#rpdId

So even if they arrive you should be ok. Stating that they allow up to a 7 day return policy you can send them back if they haven't been sent out already.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
coilovers FTW.

lowering springs are a thing of a past these days when you can get coilover kits for £160 new.

I sent him a message asking if they will fit and if not can he swap for ones that will (unless they are more expensive) in which case ill scrap that idea and keep looking.

Cheers guys will keep you posted how my mistake gets on

MK3 GTI golf 16v
if the seller is an ebay shop then the chances are you can swap them no problems if he hasn't sent them. or if he has you will probably have to pay the postage to return and send new ones etc.
i would look at coilovers to be honest, springs dont ever lower as much as you want them too

chumpmobile
just save up abit more then man

i went straight to coils, so glad i didnt end up wasting 100 quid on springs. meant i had 100 quid more to spend of coilovers :)

also, if you are 100% made up with springs, go 60mm

White ds3
cheep springs are way better than cheep coilovers i had gaz on mine and after 2 years of trouble i finaly changed to apex and it is sweet now

Saying that now im getting new tyres on these wheels I can get those god awful 18's off my car and make alot of money back off them on eBay as they sell for about £450 for "16 of my alloys. So When they get sold I could always get a set of coilovers with that money hmmm Decisions Decisions!

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i got AP coilovers second hand and they are absolutely amazing, not had a single bit of trouble with them. plus the ride is amazing and can adjust the height perfectly and the camber etc.

i would honestly save up mate, as dweeb said buying springs will just mean you have less money to spend on coilies when you want them. which you will lol

but if you really want springs get 50 or 60mm ones, 40 odd and you probably wont notice, or you will want it lower. remember they dont always lower as much as they say. some people have put 40mm on and not seen a change

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i got them for £200 off ebay and they were absolutely mint mate. best place to look would be here or ebay for second hand ones. theres plenty of makes to look for, V-maxx coilovers have got pretty good reputation on here and can be got pretty cheap second hand. then theres the more expensive ones, just have a look around

Cheers Clancy

They were the prices on eBay lol ill keep an eye out.

Dweeb: Where would I measure bolt spacing? I just looked on demon tweeks and they have 2 AP kits but one is for mounting brackets of 23mm ?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
there for new ones though lol, just keep an eye out for second hand, theres loads of makes to look for aswell

what car have you got ? 1.2 16 V ?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
do a search on here, someone will have asked the question before. but i would measure just to be sure mate.
i know the 16V one is 58mm spacing, and im 99% sure the 8V is different so you will need to measure it or look on here mate

chumpmobile
photo.jpg

mine is 58mm, from centre to centre

wouldnt be 23mm hahah!

i think the 1.2 8v is 52mm
check though just in case

MK3 GTI golf 16v
yeah i have a feeling its 52mm for the 6 valve. but you should check, just need to do what dweeb has shown above ^^ measure the bolts center to center on the bottom of the suspension

LOL Cheers guys is that on the front or back spring? (im clueless I know)

The guy got back to me on eBay he said

"hello, what cc is the car please
early clio`s have 2 springs on them, later clios have 4 springs and therefore there are additional costs involved
please let me know and we can go from there
regards"

So im assuming it will be extra for more spring looking around £150 on the other kits... in which case I may aswell just get Coilovers right?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
measure on the front suspension. the rear is different, the dampers and springs are seperate on the rear but one unit on the front. which is why you see coilover kits where it has 2 coilovers then 2 springs and 2 dampers that are seperate mate

if hes saying you have to pay more than £100 then i would just forget it to be honest, thats to much for springs. would be well worth the wait to spend a few extra quid on a kit

Cool will get out there with a ruler now :) get back to you guys what it reads. Ill have my alloys on before I know it so the other Alloys will be on fleabay soon as they go its hello coilovers I guess :)

Right better get a measure on

I wish I read that before I went out haha I got 52mm from center of the bottom bolt to center of the top bolt where the bottom of the shock is bolted behind the brake disk. Those 2 bolts there look about 12 - 13mm bolt heads?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
thats crazy money for springs, f**k that.

52 mm it is then mate, i just spent ages looking online try any varients you can think of to get more search results. you could get coilovers for that money easy

MK3 GTI golf 16v
its all good fun :approve: you'll get obsessed with looking, which is probably good cause that when you find the good deals. im attempting to get some work done but if i get bored (which i will) ill have a quick look around as well