ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering Steering Wheel

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Evening All,

I'm planning on lowering my steering wheel, I've read a few threads but I can't seem to obtain what size bolts I'll require.

Any suggestions as to how much any of you have lowered them also?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
61C91E9D-6B68-4197-844B-1A45B43A09DB_jpeg.jpg
5E2EA60F-B4DF-40CF-ABC9-11A212DFD2AE_jpeg.jpg

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Perfect. So I can run an 8mm drop with standard bolts?
Next question. Where did you buy those from? I was looking at just throwing washers in but this looks far more like me!

Yeah stock bolts will cope with 8mm but i did change em at a later date. I had these turned up for another project so already had them on the shelf. Pretty sure ive seen a fella on Faceache selling steering column spacers.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Yeah stock bolts will cope with 8mm but i did change em at a later date. I had these turned up for another project so already had them on the shelf. Pretty sure ive seen a fella on Faceache selling steering column spacers.

Thanks @frayz. Helpful as always. :)

I hate Facebook but I'll have a search.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks @frayz. Helpful as always. :)

I hate Facebook but I'll have a search.
Quick search threw these up.
Pretty sure he’d turn you up a pair in any size you wanted. If I wasn’t so flat out at the mo dude I’d jump on a lathe at work and turn you up a pair.

Attachments

• A7B2B2B1-82A5-4228-AAB8-62840EE31AB6.png
    A7B2B2B1-82A5-4228-AAB8-62840EE31AB6.png
    637.7 KB · Views: 191

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I could also do with doing this. After fitting my 330mm wheel, it seems mega high now!

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I've been floating g around looking on eBay for parts to do this today, spacers are cheap enough on eBay - some are even pretty colours

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
HI Guys,
Sorry to revive an old thread but its saves posting a new one. After fitting my Jon Fos lowered seat bases this weekend, the seating position in my car is now spot on height wise. However i have noticed the steering wheel now is at a super crappy height. Noticed the chap selling a kit on facebook for £30, but given its just some spacers and bolts. I thought i would check in to see what others have fitted. Did anyone source somewhere for spacers? I don't fancy just whacking in a load of washers so was hoping or a neater solution, Else i will just buy the kit from Faceplace.

Be interested to hear peoples set ups etc. and what level of drop worked best.

TIA

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Russ, I used 2 of these spacers from eBay:-

Cost me just a shade under £5 and was able to re-use the original bolts. Been on for over a year now and had no issue. Definitely better than spending £30 on the same thing on faceache.

Here’s a couple of crude photos to show the difference it made:-

319E02BD-3FCB-44DB-A318-F544B4E5C963.jpeg

E2AE38A7-CD9A-420A-BEDD-74CD82CFE917.jpeg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@RustyMojo What is needed M8 hole and 8mm thick? If that's correct I'll knock some up at work today and bring them home with me. I've only just seen this thread and have the same problem with the wheel being slightly high now.

Can do any size you need mate if you don't fancy 8mm thick. I may have some longer M8 bolts kicking around if you know how long you want them?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
@RustyMojo What is needed M8 hole and 8mm thick? If that's correct I'll knock some up at work today and bring them home with me. I've only just seen this thread and have the same problem with the wheel being slightly high now.

Can do any size you need mate if you don't fancy 8mm thick. I may have some longer M8 bolts kicking around if you know how long you want them?
top man! I don’t know if I’m honest, just researching now. It looks like @frayz used some 8mm stand-offs which work with the standard factory hardware? I would think 10mm would be about right, but unsure as what, if any ramifications would be in terms of changing the bolts over from factory to non standard. Probably should get off my arse and take a look!

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
F90F42FB-C757-4B6A-87DC-C4CF8F9A7C4B.jpeg
Looking at an M8 bolt here, an 8mm hole will be fine, so I'm understanding this and 8mm thick is the max on a factory bolt. More could be achieved I'm guessing if the bolt is longer...How much longer is another question.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I ordered M8 x 6.3mm thick by the looks of my eBay order history and had no issues with using the standard bolts. I’m sure 8mm thickness would be no issue, but I ended up playing it safe and ordered the 6.3mm (1/4”) ones.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I ordered M8 x 6.3mm thick by the looks of my eBay order history and had no issues with using the standard bolts. I’m sure 8mm thickness would be no issue, but I ended up playing it safe and ordered the 6.3mm (1/4”) ones.
I'm thinking of knocking up a couple of different thicknesses to have a play with

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@VenomUK if you knock up some 8mm ones can you do me a set? I’ll give them a go first then decide if I need more. Hopefully that should be just the ticket
Sure thing, I got started on them this afternoon and then held off till I got a reply. I'll get them sorted tomorrow morning for you.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@Bankrupt_drunk Originally I was going to go for a 20mm bar but ended up with 25mm as it looked to offer more when fixing a bolt through it. I've knocked up some 6mm and will have a play about with them and see what works best with my seating position which is due to change once I get round to messing about with that again this week.

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Just jumping in here.

When I bought my latest 182 there was a "steering wheel lowering kit" as advertised above £39 iirc?

The kit comes with 4 bolts and 4 spacers? Am I supposed to replace all 4 as I can see there is 4 m8 bolts holding the column up. Or are people just adding spacers to the front two bolts?