ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LS2 powered Opel Manta.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all.

Thought I would post a quick thread about a friends project that I found out about this morning as I have a feeling it will appeal to a few of you.

A direct quote of the spec:

Engine is an LS2. It's a new completely stock crate engine, with an electric water pump, full dry sump with valve covers that oil the valve springs, custom exhausts, and a DTA S80 controlling it all. Plus the comedy intake.

Oh, and the most awesome clutch pack - it's a 7.25" clutch with a button flywheel and the ring gear is bolted to the clutch pack. the whole thing weighs about 4 kg, that’s clutch and flywheel....

And some power to weight figures compared to his Porsche 911.

Got thinking about the power to weight ratio of the manta. For anyone who’s been in the Porsche, it's 310 lb ft and 385bhp, 2 up its around 1570kg, assuming the passenger isn't a skinny whippet. The manta has 25% more torque and 17% more power, and with a starting weight of about a ton, approx 26% lighter with 2 terrified occupants. The Porsches power to weight is 246 bhp/ton with passengers, the manta 384bhp/ton, approximately 63% more. And I thought the Porsche was quick...

And it's really quick and easy to get 550-600bhp from the manta engine - basically cam and heads...

That makes it 517bhp/ton with passengers. Gulp.

And a couple of pictures and 2 videos:

18150130644_d3f6684997_c.jpg
Untitled
by Paul Morgan, on Flickr

18772770245_29c7d102c1_c.jpg
Untitled

18584981128_3d5a8a36ee_c.jpg
Untitled

18746473456_8b37e094ae_c.jpg
Untitled

18775277461_ea905d3d2b_c.jpg
Untitled

It is very much a work in progress still but I can badger him for updates if you all wish.

Thanks

Paul

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
A friend of mine has recently rebuilt his Opel manta using the original body but with a tuned 370z engine and box. Will get some pictures up soon [emoji4]