ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lsd box woes..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I have an lsd box in the car and while turning right it seems ok, when turning left however it's knocking/banging/jumping...

I picked it up about 4 years ago from someone I know, so don't expect I've been stitched up.. I'd like a solution otherwise I'll be going back to the original box which is a shame as the pub talk of having an lsd is powerful.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
The problem is the passenger side runs cut and shut shafts, I've switched with a spare..

It's not a click, tap, it's a brutal banging.. I won't rule out the shafts, but I'm certain a normal box and shafts will work.. I'm basically thinking it's got to go, but I want to know why it insists on being a cnut..

The box has been sat for a long time, but I'm wondering if the preload on the diff could be set high or jammed on.. I read that the way these diffs work is quite low tech.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
what oil grade are you using

Due to it being a standard box, and it needing a flush through from being sat so, I went with the standard oil.. I'm in the process of asking the previous owner some questions, but he hasn't been online since Wednesday..

I can turn left but not right, I'm starting to think the cut shafts are completely wrong..

I don't even know what's in the box, I just got offered it, said yes, chucked it in the shed.. No thought, no planning, no knowledge of lsd boxes..

It's just a good old fashion example of getting involved in what I don't understand.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
If it's an auto torque biasing like the quaife any oil would work
If it's a plated diff like a gripper it will need either LSD oil or a friction modifier added to the oil or they'll bang they're knackers off but usually in both left and right turns

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
If it's an auto torque biasing like the quaife any oil would work
If it's a plated diff like a gripper it will need either LSD oil or a friction modifier added to the oil or they'll bang they're knackers off but usually in both left and right turns

The latter sounds possible, it's just epic bad on a left, noticeable on a right..

I'm sure when I got it the word plates was used.. I'm hoping the original owner can shed some light, it's not been an issue so only come to light on my first test drive..

As with all the problems, I'm almost certain it's my fault, I put the box in, i may have put the wrong oil in, or fitted a bad/wrong sized shaft..

I haven't driven my gtt in 6 years, perhaps I went to far with the mods all in one go..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Oh, it's says 75/90 on the gripper website and that's what my box is as standard...

Wonder if it needs an additive?

It's the same as the clios box and the same diff.. Well, that's if it's a gripper diff in there..

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, it's says 75/90 on the gripper website and that's what my box is as standard...

Wonder if it needs an additive?

It's says you may need to compromise between the friction needed for the syncros and the slip oil to stop the plates grabbing,
so a custom blend by adding a little friction modifier a bit at a time on a trial and error basis

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
It's says you may need to compromise between the friction needed for the syncros and the slip oil to stop the plates grabbing,
so a custom blend by adding a little friction modifier a bit at a time on a trial and error basis

Ok, I might have to try that before I start ripping it all out..

The reason I don't trust the shafts is there 1 and a half inch difference between the longest and shortest ones I was given.. It just tells me that they weren't made with the greatest care or planning..

I think I'll pop the cv boot off tomorrow and give it a visual check at the extremes.. All I've don't so far is swap as shaft and moan.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Wrong length shaft fo sho

If the gearbox is standard bar a diff there's no reason to run a cut and shut shaft.
I totally agree with that but after reading some of the issues with the oil and the fact I just went down halfords tells me it could well be that.. I've watched a few videos of other people's problems and it's a toss up between the 2 problems.

The box came from an owner who runs one of the fastest gtts around, the shaft may be cut or my be welded because he had them snap all the time....he went to a Vag box..

Right now I think it could be both things, locking plates and a cv joint out of whack due to length..

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same issue and it was shaft length after messing around with subframes and roll centre kit.

Martin on here had an issue with a shaft being too long with his diff'd box.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I'm sure I have the OE shaft kicking about and at the moment I'm speculating a little..

It's been 5-6 years since I've seen it last so I'll have to hunt it down...

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Ok, check the shafts, I believe the one I had fitted originally was the OE one which knocked, then a welded/strengthened one after which was an inch longer which also knocks..

No idea why I was given 2 welded shafts, I'm still awaiting an answer but he's not been on whatsapp a few days..

I'm swaying towards the oil again and the plates locking.. I've watched some YouTube vids and I'm finding similar sounding issues.. I have some oil and slip lock coming this week so let's see..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Be careful that the friction modifier doesn't attack the brass synchros mate. Some of its designed to only run in dog boxes.

I originally just ordered the additive, but others have had luck with better quality oils, so I ordered both... The additive is a last resort.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
What oil did you opt for? Having the additive as a last resort is a better idea.

In the other thread a few members went for Fuchs or redline.. I went with the first as it had a few more shouts than the others.. It's going up against halfords which is in there currently..

Every seems to have an opinion and uses different oils, so it's difficult to choose one.. If my gearbox could talk it would be a lot easier.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
In the other thread a few members went for Fuchs or redline.. I went with the first as it had a few more shouts than the others.. It's going up against halfords which is in there currently..

Every seems to have an opinion and uses different oils, so it's difficult to choose one.. If my gearbox could talk it would be a lot easier.
Yeah it's cheaper than the redline mtl that I've suggested too. I've used the mtl before in a stressed gearbox and it worked really well so I've stuck with it. I'll be running it in my jc5.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Yeah it's cheaper than the redline mtl that I've suggested too. I've used the mtl before in a stressed gearbox and it worked really well so I've stuck with it. I'll be running it in my jc5.

I'll keep that in mind should it have no effect...

At first it was almost half the price, then after I ordered I found it for about £25 difference for the order.. Typical...

I'm not tight and I hate doing things twice, but I have another car here bleeding my dry..