ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LSD Options

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'm back in a Clio after 7-8 years, in the form of a Trophy.

The box needs some attention and I fancy fitting an LSD while it's being rebuilt. What are the options these days?

Nearly £1100 for a Quaife feels a bit pricey compared to other helical diffs I've bought in the past.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just sold my brand new Quaife LSD gearbox today funnily enough... but the Quaife is a great fit and forget item. Suits the Clio nicely without the hardcore characteristics you get from something like the more track-focused Gripper.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm back in a Clio after 7-8 years, in the form of a Trophy.

The box needs some attention and I fancy fitting an LSD while it's being rebuilt. What are the options these days?

Nearly £1100 for a Quaife feels a bit pricey compared to other helical diffs I've bought in the past.
I can supply a Quaife for £1030. I can also supply a gripper at £1170.

I can do a full refresh on your box, or supply a service exchange box. Drop me a pm if you’re interested 👍🏻

172 Ph1
I can supply a Quaife for £1030. I can also supply a gripper at £1170.

I can do a full refresh on your box, or supply a service exchange box. Drop me a pm if you’re interested [emoji1303]

What kinda price am I looking at on top for the service exchange box ?
Also do you offer monies for gearboxes traded in to you for you to recon ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Gripper diff and gearbox recon from @NorthloopCup , great service and the best modification for going faster round a tight racetrack.
The traction out of the corners makes my 176bhp Clio faster around Lydden Hill than a 230bhp turboed Clio with no LSD.
For a road only car it might be a bit unnecessary, but a must for the track.
I recently sent the gearbox back to @NorthloopCup for a shorter final drive, and once again 1st class service and great advice.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have the Gripper diff and gearbox recon from @NorthloopCup , great service and the best modification for going faster round a tight racetrack.
The traction out of the corners makes my 176bhp Clio faster around Lydden Hill than a 230bhp turboed Clio with no LSD.
For a road only car it might be a bit unnecessary, but a must for the track.
I recently sent the gearbox back to @NorthloopCup for a shorter final drive, and once again 1st class service and great advice.
I can’t wait for him to do mine!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I’m also considering this next year, very tempted by the gripper purely as my car only gets used on track (other than driving there) but I believe it needs rebuilding after a certain time? I only do 3 or so Trackdays a year and I don’t fancy a 1k+ bill every few years for something I just use for fun a few days a year rather than race regularly, is the gripper a lot better than the Quaife?

172 Ph1
I’m also considering this next year, very tempted by the gripper purely as my car only gets used on track (other than driving there) but I believe it needs rebuilding after a certain time? I only do 3 or so Trackdays a year and I don’t fancy a 1k+ bill every few years for something I just use for fun a few days a year rather than race regularly, is the gripper a lot better than the Quaife?

How long would it take you to do 20 thousand miles ?
Ages I’d say , rebuild after x amount of years .
I’ll be going gripper for sure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I can’t wait for him to do mine!
Erm..........? When are we booking you in?!
The gripper needs a service after around 2500 miles (ish) if it’s set up for trackdays. Regular oil changes help to extend the life of the friction plates in the diff as well.

Easy way to check the diff as well. Jack the car up and leave one front wheel on the ground. Set the torque wrench to 60nm. If the wheel spins before the torque wrench clicks, it needs a service. It really is as simple as that.

The gripper and Quaife are very similar in how they operate, but the gripper has the edge. 100% no doubt in my mind.

Easy way to check the diff as well. Jack the car up and leave one front wheel on the ground. Set the torque wrench to 60nm. If the wheel spins before the torque wrench clicks, it needs a service. It really is as simple as that.

Great tip there, I'll be adding that to my regular checks in from now on.

Rough estimate I will do about 1000 track miles a year, so would need a service every 2-3 years.

I would plan to change the oil every 300 miles or so, hopefully that's regular enough?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Erm..........? When are we booking you in?!

The gripper needs a service after around 2500 miles (ish) if it’s set up for trackdays. Regular oil changes help to extend the life of the friction plates in the diff as well.

The gripper and Quaife are very similar in how they operate, but the gripper has the edge. 100% no doubt in my mind.
When I’ve finished this years track days. I plan on giving it a bit of a refresh with a few bits, the gearbox is the main one.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Hmm ok interesting, although I’m alright with the spanners changing a gearbox is probably abit beyond me in honesty, so a service for a gripper is going to have to be a drive in/out service so quite costly so although the gripper is superior perhaps the Quaife is better suited to me. End of the day this is still going to be a big upgrade over the standard box I assume, out of interest what gives the gripper the edge?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Great tip there, I'll be adding that to my regular checks in from now on.

Rough estimate I will do about 1000 track miles a year, so would need a service every 2-3 years.

I would plan to change the oil every 300 miles or so, hopefully that's regular enough?
Yeah doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me mate.
When I’ve finished this years track days. I plan on giving it a bit of a refresh with a few bits, the gearbox is the main one.
No worries mate 👍🏻

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hmm ok interesting, although I’m alright with the spanners changing a gearbox is probably abit beyond me in honesty, so a service for a gripper is going to have to be a drive in/out service so quite costly so although the gripper is superior perhaps the Quaife is better suited to me. End of the day this is still going to be a big upgrade over the standard box I assume, out of interest what gives the gripper the edge?
Gripper is a plate diff with ramps that transmit 100% of the power to both wheels when they lock. The Quaife is a torque biasing diff and it transmits power to the wheel that’s spinning.