ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M.O.T Failure - spring fractured

197 FF
Car has been in for MOT today and failed one of reasons was a fractured offside front coil spring.

Am I right in thinking these are a Renault only part at £120 a piece?

Mini Cooper S
Get a second hand set of springs. Or upgrade to some aftermartket springs.

Wanted section will be best.

197 FF
Had a look on europarts and GSF - europarts has one for 2l clio at £55 but doesn't say its for cup and I thought that 172 and 172 cup had different springs in them or is it just a normal 172 spring?

Fiesta ST3
eibach pro kit under £150 for all 4 springs i have just had to do the sane as one of my rears had gone and it failed the mot

197 FF
Think I will go for a full new set then as £120 for a spring or similar for a full set of springs think I will do that....

Also - I slid in ice and damaged the front arm, this was replaced but caused some damage to the alloy which was ground off and tyre checked and re-fit by Hi-Q who said the tyre was fine even though the bit of rubber which comes out further than the alloy was torn a bit. Anyway they said I didn't need a new tyre (end of December) and then same garage failed me on the MOT saying tyre cut to ply/cord exposed (the cord/ply is definitely not exposed, the cut is not in contravention of legal requirements and there is no bulge/tear/ply or cord exposed just a bit of the rubber lip has come away. Anyone know if I put a spare steel wheel on the same profile as the other three wheels can the car be failed on MOT for this. (I have been told that if the technician who assessed and looked at my tyre originally had done the MOT then the tyre would definitely have passed)

my spare is 185/55/15 and others are 195/45/16

Last edited:
  Westy. MX5
Can't see why a Spare wheel would fail the test, Many cars have Spacesavers as a spare, with different size tyres and they are not illegal.

As for springs, change them all to Eibach's for £70 'ish a set, used. If you short of dosh Pug 92 is offering----and I have a set spare too.

VaVa
Just remove the spare for the test. It's not a failure not to have one, but it will be a failure if you have one and it's not right!!

Can't see why a Spare wheel would fail the test, Many cars have Spacesavers as a spare, with different size tyres and they are not illegal.

As for springs, change them all to Eibach's for £70 'ish a set, used. If you short of dosh Pug 92 is offering----and I have a set spare too.

as you said different size tyres... hed have a 15inch rim on rather than a 16 and when i done this be 2 get a new tyre on my car i got pulled off the old bill n they were been arsy but imanaged 2get off with it

197 FF
yeah its not the spare that they failed me on its the nearside tyre which is in reality fine, I was wondering if I put the 185/55/15 spare I have if it would pass the test, rim size shouldn't matter as long as it is same size but obviously width would be 195 v 185 wondered if that would cause a fail

yeah its not the spare that they failed me on its the nearside tyre which is in reality fine, I was wondering if I put the 185/55/15 spare I have if it would pass the test, rim size shouldn't matter as long as it is same size but obviously width would be 195 v 185 wondered if that would cause a fail

didnt realise the difference in profile mae.. not sure about the width

Lionel Richie
axles must have the same size wheels and tyres, but can be different per axle, ie you can have 195/50 15 on BOTH fronts and 205/45 16 on BOTH rears, you can't have 1 odd one

spare is only part of the MOT test if it is present, if its bald etc, leave at home = pass, if its in the car = fail, dumb but true

RS mk2 172
axles must have the same size wheels and tyres, but can be different per axle, ie you can have 195/50 15 on BOTH fronts and 205/45 16 on BOTH rears, you can't have 1 odd one

spare is only part of the MOT test if it is present, if its bald etc, leave at home = pass, if its in the car = fail, dumb but true

The spare wheel is not part of the MOT test and can be as bald as a coot!

197 FF
yeah as I suspected I am gonna have to get a new one fitted, oh well...anyway springs sorted got a set of Koni springs for £105 so if they fit I will be happy with that

VaVa
Hmmm. Strange, as I had an advisory on my last MOT for not having a spare wheel. Why would they put that if it's not part of the test? Just a bit of friendly advice?!