ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M1 Mac's

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Really tempted by one now as can get a new base Air for £870 or the 512GB for £1070.

The latter would likely be better for me, that’s just with the regular 8GB.

Can’t really justify the costs to upgrade to 16GB!

Don’t use my laptop a huge amount anymore but seeing as it’s a 2011 MBP it’s out of date, and doesn’t properly support some things now so maybe it’s finally time to replace.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A few months in and it's still smashing everything I throw at it. Even hooked up to my 5120x1440 Odyssey it's unfazed.

I couldn't recommend an M1 enough.

179B5371-9DAD-466A-BE05-C52BA0D11AD1.JPG

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
The missus has decided she really likes the new M1 iMacs… in green… 🥴
Although if she’s paying and I get an M1 Mac to play with maybe I can’t complain… and I can’t wait for a wireless Magic Keyboard with TouchID

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I hope they sell the keyboards separately, I love the Touch ID on my MacBook but I always use a screen with a keyboard and mouse.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Waiting patiently for the new 2021 Macbook's, most of the rumoured changes are music to my ears, no touch bar, magsafe charger, 14" with smaller bezel.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I hope they sell the keyboards separately, I love the Touch ID on my MacBook but I always use a screen with a keyboard and mouse.
Yeah I’m in the same position, use my work MacBook in clamshell mode and would love to be able to use touchID rather than typing in a 20 char pw all the time

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Ordered at 13:01, should be arriving in 3 weeks. Will be a big step up from her 2015 MBP.
Given it’s Apple I’m expecting the green to look completely different irl so we’ll see.
Features like magnetic power cable and thunderbolt ports are nice, and perhaps the screen will be good enough to distract from the chin.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Should I buy a pro now or wait until the update?

And anyone got any clue when the update will be? Seem to be many different rumours out there.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Should I buy a pro now or wait until the update?

And anyone got any clue when the update will be? Seem to be many different rumours out there.

Depends what you use it for. I have an M1 Pro and it smashes everything I throw at it, design-wise. Multi photo editing, video and multi-page docs. Some of the software I use isn't even native yet and it still massively outperforms my old Intel MBP.

When Adobe release the M1-native versions it's game over.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Depends what you use it for. I have an M1 Pro and it smashes everything I throw at it, design-wise. Multi photo editing, video and multi-page docs. Some of the software I use isn't even native yet and it still massively outperforms my old Intel MBP.

When Adobe release the M1-native versions it's game over.

It’s only really going to get lightweight use. So seems like I should just get one rather than wait for the pending release?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It’s only really going to get lightweight use. So seems like I should just get one rather than wait for the pending release?
100% yes.

You won't even be testing the M1 with light use. Definitely not worth waiting for headroom you'll never need.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I have the M1 MacBook Air, love it!

Do you guys think they’ll do a windows dual boot for stuff not compatible with mac?

Obviously a different kettle of fish with the M1 but pretty sure there is going to more windows computers with ARM style chips so maybe do able?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Surely an air is better for you if you need a laptop. I have an ipad air and there isn't anything that has tasked it yet, big photo editing and 4k video editing. Insane power even for an non m1 machine. A macbook air isn't going to struggle with anything light to medium weight?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Just replaced daughters 2017 MBP with a new M1 version just arrived.
Due to broken screen on previous model, just got the basic model with 3yr AC.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Surely an air is better for you if you need a laptop. I have an ipad air and there isn't anything that has tasked it yet, big photo editing and 4k video editing. Insane power even for an non m1 machine. A macbook air isn't going to struggle with anything light to medium weight?

I did think about that. But the main reason for me is the fan. I just don’t like the idea of a laptop not having a fan and expecting it to last 7-8 years like my old pro.

Happy to pay the extra for a fan and a few of the other bits.

Especially as if/when it lasts 5+ years it’s not really a lot of money either as a whole or the difference between the 2.

I’ll pop over to John Lewis later for one :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I did think about that. But the main reason for me is the fan. I just don’t like the idea of a laptop not having a fan and expecting it to last 7-8 years like my old pro.

Especially as if/when it lasts 5+ years it’s not really a lot of money either as a whole or the difference between the 2.

Long termer, agreed about the fan.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member

Ive never even heard the fan on my M1 pro. Doesn't get hot weather. Nothing taxes it! Old one used to sound like a jet

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Do you NEED a laptop? Not just by a M1 Mac Mini?

Yeah definitely. Just sits in the lounge and gets used about the house. Got my work laptop tied to a desk with a monitor etc

Long termer, agreed about the fan.

Ive never even heard the fan on my M1 pro. Doesn't get hot weather. Nothing taxes it! Old one used to sound like a jet

Same here.

Thermal control is incredible compared to the old Intels.

Does seem crazy that the fans don’t come on.

E0E640B9-A1ED-4B37-9859-81FE2423C8D0.jpeg

All seems good on the set up so far!

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
The missus' M1 iMac arrived yesterday and I've been converted by the design, when you're using it you forget about the chin because the screen is so good and it's proper quick.
Coincidentally she also got an M1 MacBook Air from work which is also top notch.

Think I'm gonna be in 2 minds when they announce the 16" M1X (M2?) MBPs soon...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Anyone who uses theirs for work, there are now betas for M1-native versions of Adobe Creative Suite.

I'm running the InDesign one now and f*ck me it's nippy. No issues yet either!

Reactions: Ben

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I just want a proper f**king escape key again.

I'm hoping that they will actually drop the touch bar because it's s**t. I'm constantly accidentally hitting it and having some random action happen.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Finally just ordered my M1 Air (512GB model). Got awarded a shed load of 'points' at work for something, and you can spend these points on stuff so used some of them on a Macbook Air :)

Hopefully be here soon and can finally replace my 2011 Macbook Pro.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I just want a proper f**king escape key again.

I'm hoping that they will actually drop the touch bar because it's s**t. I'm constantly accidentally hitting it and having some random action happen.
That was the main reason i got my 2019 MBP because they had the Touch Bar and a proper escape key.

i just want them to release the iMac keyboards with built in TouchID to buy separately

Reactions: Ben
Currently owning a 2015 MBP. Still a beast but hoping I can have the new 13-inch MBP with the m1 chip or at least the new iPad pro next month. M1 chip is really a game changer.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Hardly used mine since getting it but it’s done the job I needed so far.

Seeing as I basically got it for free I’m happy :)

M1 chip is somehow overkill for the new iPad pro. Hoping they release a new iPadOS that can make it like a pc as I think it's possible.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Ordered my daughter a Mac Book Air M1 last night, came with free airbuds as part of the student discount scheme. Bloody kids cost a fortune. But hoping it’s a upgrade over her old laptop for A-level and university work

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Madness! That is madness. That's good Chromebook money!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Aye, I'm pretty chuffed. Some on people on HUKD have been managing £600, if you get lucky and the branch you go to price match itechs.uk, mine wouldn't, but they did offer me £185 trade-in on a Galaxy Tab 2 (8 year old 1GB RAM, proper shite), so I took it.