ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac question...

you may know it, clio?
Has anyone had any problems with using their Word documents on their Mac and then on a PC or the otherway round.

Looking into getting one for university and just wanted to find out if anyone has had problems with using their Mac and then the same file on a PC in the library..

Save on a mac and will open fine on a PC.

However you have to save it as a pre2005 (IIRC) doc file on a PC to open on Mac, its simple to do, just click Save As, and its an option on there.

you may know it, clio?
Say if i forget to save it as a "pre2005" as im sure ill do that alot.

Is there a way i can someone convert it or change it to open on a mac?

you may know it, clio?
Ok thanks anyway.

Had any problems with it otherwise? Like getting used to office word and excel?

you may know it, clio?
Im confused.

Thing is, im good with a PC but everyone keeps telling me to change so i thought it might be a good time to.

Is this right, a mac saves documents as .docx but you can only open a .doc on a pc?

Im confused.

Thing is, im good with a PC but everyone keeps telling me to change so i thought it might be a good time to.

Is this right, a mac saves documents as .docx but you can only open a .doc on a pc?

No, the latest versions of Office save as .docx, be it mac or windows format. You can open .docx and .doc on either mac or pc new version, only .doc on the older ones.

you may know it, clio?
ah ok, that clears it up.

So as long as my uni uses the latest verson of Office im all good?

you may know it, clio?
Im screwed :(

Just sent a text asking what verson of windows they use at Sheffield uni to a mate as he's in his 3rd year. The reply was:

"XP or Vista. Why the f**k would need to know at 11.30pm and a 2 months before you start?!"

B

Brown.

When you type somehting out and are worried just always save as .doc as seen highlighted below ( the only compatability issue i have had is using the inbuit equation editior, but that is easily solved )

Picture1-5.png

you may know it, clio?
oh ok and i take it the new Office 2008 has no problems opening .doc saved from macs?

Im sorry for the stupidly dumb questions but i will be completely new to Mac's :)

B

Brown.

no problem opening PC saved files, of any kind..... only opening MAC saved .docx files on PC iirc.... tbh honest i only ever save .doc as some many of works comps use xp even in vista al save .doc just habit