ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac vs. PC.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm after a processing rig for media developing. Websites, video editing, photo editing and general web browsing.

I have been considering a Mac but looked on Apple shop and saw the prices:S Near £2k for the big desktop..

I'm pretty sure a PC for that money could dominate it in everyway and you'd still have change to employ someone to re-install it every year to keep it on top of it's game.

Thoughts?

I have no problem with Windows personally and on that front I'm not sure why I'm even considering getting Mac OS for work.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
cliokhunt said:
Thoughts?

My thought is that it sounds like you're trolling.

Pay your money and take your choice, simple.

(btw, a mac mini would eat through what you've listed as requirements)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
this thread is going to get painful lol....

it could end up like the ever famous........"Racing stripes or not" thread.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

flols. Really couldn't care less about any arguements that could ensue, so I'm just genuinely interested in anyone's opinion that's been in the same position (i.e. need something to chew effortlessly through rendering tasks).

There was a thread on here recently about a PC featuring the i7 chip (without a standalone graphics card or monitor, but I have plenty of monitors tbh) for less than £700. I'm tempted by that, but if a Mac that costs £1k would be equal then I'd probably go with that just to try it if nothing else.

Fiat Panda 100hp
And can you get dual-monitors going on a mac?

Yes.

I would go for the mac, your going to get your money back in production time as it's OS is amazing, and the beast will never let you down.

Graphic designers and the like all use macs for their ease of use.

a mac and a pc are the exact same thing same hardware wise, only difference is the os and you can run both on either platform if you really want

mac is style over substance 99% of the time

172 Cup
As above. There's no such thing as "Mac vs PC".. As mac is a PC (Personal Computer).

It's the operating systems that differ.

WTF? Fan boy paranoia? My thoughts are that it's a simple question about peoples thoughts regarding getting a Mac or a proper mans computer.

IMO - if style and slick software are priority, then pay the extra for the Mac. If value for maoney is more important, then get the PC.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah, I might just go Mac for the few extra options with editing, as that will be the main purpose of getting a new machine (I'm using a 2Ghz Athlon atm and whilst it copes with internet use and the odd webpage edit, I'm not even going to try running Adobe anything on it...).

As an additional thought - for ~£2k you could build quite an immense PC that will also be an extremely capable gaming machine on top. Food for thought?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
lols.

It's going to be an office machine for daytime use only. The thing tempting me a little more toward Mac is that I can sync all my iPhone things instead of just having contacts on google (which added about 300 email addresses to my phone book when I first synced it :()

Yeah fair enough but never say never...if it can also play PC games.

Not sure what you mean about the iPhone. Mine syncs with Outlook etc. in Windows? Anyway yeah. Macs are nice. I've always fancied one but I doubt I'll ever make the switch, personally :)

A4 Avant
If your doing any kind of vid editting or rendering I'd be going i7 920 all day long. For raw processing I doubt a Mac would even come close!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't use Outlook though, every POP3 email I've ever had has been flooded with spam within a couple of years, been using Googlemail since it was available and I've had a handful of spam emails in my inbox.

Tis brilliant.

I am now looking at Mac G5s. My friend has one and he did a film production course and said it's more than capable of editing miniDV (which is what I want). Apparently looking at around £600 for a used one. That or the i7 machine though...

A4 Avant
Ohhh, are they, I looked at them a couple of months back and they weren't, kinda presumed they hadn't been changed yet. My bad.

a core i7 for the same price g5 lol the i7 will rip it a new one s**t down its neck put it in a box mail it to china get there before it does then kick it in the nuts

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Cool.

I have done some light reading and saw you can install the latest OS X on a PC. I think I'll get 2 160GB drives, one for Windows 7 (beta is still available as I understand) and the other for OS X. And I think we're getting a Drobo to host all our data.

A red missile
Yes.

I would go for the mac, your going to get your money back in production time as it's OS is amazing, and the beast will never let you down.

Graphic designers and the like all use macs for their ease of use.

Not strictly correct, graphic designers and the like (reprographics professionals) use macs because they have to as everyone else does, however Esko systems backstage workflow will take care of that, everything is illustrator based and at that point my place and presumably others will switch platforms for (in the words of our systems director) superior performance at a lower price - WIN!

At that point I will be taking the nice G5 I use and dropping it off a bridge - lets see the b*****d perform numerous fatal memory leaks then :evil:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not strictly correct, graphic designers and the like (reprographics professionals) use macs because they have to as everyone else does, however Esko systems backstage workflow will take care of that, everything is illustrator based and at that point my place and presumably others will switch platforms for (in the words of our systems director) superior performance at a lower price - WIN!

At that point I will be taking the nice G5 I use and dropping it off a bridge - lets see the b*****d perform numerous fatal memory leaks then :evil:

LOL.

Well I'm pretty much decided on ordering PC parts early next week. Less than £1000 and more outright grunt than any a Mac for double the price. Then I will probably get a boot of OS X just to try it for a while, Windows 7 (as per) and an install of Vista to do most work when W7 Beta stops.