ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro

Mondeo ST220
I've not had a laptop for around a year now. I've been somehow just managing with my iPhone but it's time to sort something out now!

One of the reasons I haven't got another laptop is I decided I wanted to go Apple rather than settle for something I didn't want, but at the same time, it's a lot of cash to hand over.

So this will be my main laptop and I'm wondering which is best for me.

The Air will do majority of things I need, is cheaper and looks great. Downsides are having to plug in a SuperDrive whenever I want to burn CDs but that's rare. The major concern is the storage, I'm lpoking at the 13" 128gb, is that going to be enough to manage on. I have about 30gb of music then a few movies and things. Now I could go for the 256gb version, but the price hike takes it very near Pro territory.

So the Pro, if I got one and had it as a main laptop I think the 15" glossy hi res is for me. Might seek weird considering my other option is a 13" Air but the 13" Pro doesn't appeal, the resolution is just a little too small.

Is the 15" Pro worth the extra cash? Maybe I've discounted options I shouldn't have such as the 256gb Air (due to price) and the 13" Pro (screen resolution and the feeling of "if I get a Pro I should do it properly")

Thoughts?

Where do you use it most? 15" is pretty big for moving around but moving from the lounge to the bedroom is hardly going to make it much of an issue.

I vote iMac + iPad.

Mondeo ST220
Just around the house generally. Lounge and bedroom mainly so the size of the 15" isn't an issue. It will go with me places but the size or weight wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'd love an iMac but I do want some portability and the iPad just doesn't quite cover what I'd need.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
13" pro, just got mine and love it, ideal for using both at home and on the move

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I just got my 13" pro and love it. it's actually amazing id say go for a pro the air just seems to be expensive for what it is but thats just me as i need the cd drive anyway.

I've got a 750gb hard drive in it too

Mondeo ST220
The screen on the 13" pro just doesn't do it for me though. The resolution looks too low for me. It's a shame because it has everything else I need.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I'm actually really impressed with the 13" screen. But then I'm not into all this photo graphic stuff. An it was £500 cheaper than then 15"

Monaro VXR
I'm actually really impressed with the 13" screen. But then I'm not into all this photo graphic stuff. An it was £500 cheaper than then 15"

£500 That is well worth it, better screen, a proper GPU and a quad core cpu. Definitely worth the extra.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
£500 That is well worth it, better screen, a proper GPU and a quad core cpu. Definitely worth the extra.

Yeah but some people will gladly take the hit on performance for added portability. £1500 is also a silly amount for a laptop and not everyone can afford the additional cost. I'm after a 13" but the resolution is a concern so I've decided to hold out for next years model (in the hope they'll upper the screen resolution).

Mondeo ST220
I think I'm leaning towards your line of thought Al, it's such a large amount to pay for a laptop. I will get one and I'm sure I'll love it but I need to be sure I'm getting the right one before paying that sort of money.

Meh, I've waited this long lol.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've never been able to understand people that have a laptop as their main computer for around the house, it's just f**king bizarre.

Sitting at a desk has no appeal to me, or many others I would assume. I work at a desk (when I'm there) all day.

Relaxing on the sofa/bed/big comfy chair with a laptop is a whole world apart from sat rigidly using a desktop.

Oh and 13" MBP is awesome if you're not worried about the screen :)

Bus w**ker
Sitting at a desk has no appeal to me, or many others I would assume. I work at a desk (when I'm there) all day.

Relaxing on the sofa/bed/big comfy chair with a laptop is a whole world apart from sat rigidly using a desktop.
LOL I'm at my desk staring at some 17" s**t Fujitsu monitor fixing mongs IT problems five days a week. Totally different experience when I'm at home on my own PC in my big ass comfy leather chair.

Not for me, I detest laptops for use around the house. PC will perform better, do more, cost less (for the same spec) and not leave you with legs near enough setting on fire after a short while of use. Not to mention the screen size. Desktop for real computer work and iPad for dossing about on facebook, email, websites on the sofa.

Seat Ibiza
LOL I'm at my desk staring at some 17" s**t Fujitsu monitor fixing mongs IT problems five days a week. Totally different experience when I'm at home on my own PC in my big ass comfy leather chair.

Not for me, I detest laptops for use around the house. PC will perform better, do more, cost less (for the same spec) and not leave you with legs near enough setting on fire after a short while of use. Not to mention the screen size. Desktop for real computer work and iPad for dossing about on facebook, email, websites on the sofa.

But for 99% of people a computer is used for the Internet and that's mainly it. Do does speed make that much difference?
I would never go back to a desktop pc, it reminds me of doing school work!
Laptop is just so convenient, but we all like different things!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.851456,-3.403255

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

I used to feel like that, then I got my Macbook and the desktop hasn't been turned on since.

Will be getting rid of the desk etc soon altogether, just not needed anymore.

Laptop screen is fine for me, performs way better than my old desktop, got it relatively cheap anyway, and has never set my legs on fire :)

It's convenient, I don't have to sit away in another room to the wife and tv etc, can sit here and potter about doing stuff, then take it upstairs later.

Plus as I now work away during the week I have it to take with me.

Does everything I need to, but I don't game so that's not an issue for me.