ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook, MacBook pro or just a laptop?

I'm currently trying to decide what laptop to get, wasn't going to bother with an apple until I went down currys and realised all their laptops were crap! They had a MacBook there which I liked the look of but I dont really know enough about them! Anyone here have experiences with them? Two of my brothers have them and recommend them but just want abit more certainty before I decide! As a student I get discount if I go to apple direct aswell (although it will still be a fair bit more expensive than any laptop) basically I'm wondering if a macbook is worth it? Or should I get a pro? Or neither?! All il really use it for is college work(then uni in sept) and internet/general bits n bobs! Don't play games or edit photographs or w/e! Getting sick and tired of using my phone for everything!

Thanks in advance guys n gals

06 Clio 1.2
Macbook pro id recommend.
With Apple they run linux, in my opinion linux is easier to use than windows, Apple systems are also prone to just 2 virus's in the whole world.
They are also very very fast

Is the pro worth an extra £200-400? Will I notice the difference in everyday usage?Yeah I've heard that virus' on mac are extremely rare and the battery life is up to 10 hours whereas most laptops were about 4!

MK2 Clio
I think macbook pro's are not a good investment, they provide very limited benefits from a standard mac. However even when running windows 7 my Mac does it better than my 4gb laptop

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Macbook pro id recommend.
With Apple they run linux, in my opinion linux is easier to use than windows, Apple systems are also prone to just 2 virus's in the whole world.
They are also very very fast

You're confusing Linux with POSIX.

OS X is POSIX certified which means that it is unix compatible.

The GUI is Aqua which is nothing to do with unix or Linux, it's the GUI layer that is what really sets Mac OS apart from everything else.

Listerine & Poledo
going by what you listed your potential usage as, I'd say save yourself a few hundred quid and get something Windows based.

But I'd imagine I'm about to be told how I'm so very wrong.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah it depends what you want, after all.

Not every wants or needs a Mac.

Some people are happy using dogsh*t.

How come now is a bad time? Tbh, now it's just between a MacBook or a MacBook pro! What's the main differences? Extra 2gb ram? Is that it??

I was in the same situation as yourself last year.

Looked at both Macs and Laptops as my usage is similar to yours.

Ended up buying an Acer laptop running Windows but have also installed Linux as a dual boot system.

Really could not justify spending double the amount of money for something that to me, just looks slightly better than other laptops.

LY 182
I was in the same situation as yourself last year.

Looked at both Macs and Laptops as my usage is similar to yours.

Ended up buying an Acer laptop running Windows but have also installed Linux as a dual boot system.

Really could not justify spending double the amount of money for something that to me, just looks slightly better than other laptops.

If I was rich I'd buy you a MBP so you could see how stupid that comment is.

Mercedes
I was forced to get a new windows PC last yeat through work, but the next one will be a nice MBP, or Air

LY 182
Whats stupid about buying something you can afford instead of buying something you can't?

The stupidity comment was based on your assumption that 'they look slightly better', as opposed to any judgment on your financial situation.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I had this dilemma last year after changing my job and having to give my old work laptop back.

Primarily needed for surfing and video editing. Found a decent enough laptop for £399 with strong processor and overspecced ram and hdd. Since then it's been flawless and renders my video projects without fault.

Given that, what would the extra cost of a Macbook have got me (apart from being able to wax lyrical about how great they are and how anyone who dismisses them is a stupid c**t)?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Build quality, amazing trackpad (theres none better) great screen awesome battery life...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ability to multi-task very easily, integration with external devices (handy for editing), ease of use, huge battery life, brilliant screen etc etc.

I'm waiting for my laptop to pack on (very soon) then going for a MBP or MBA.. 13", although can't decide which. I love the backlit keyboard.. :(

What would the extra cost of a Macbook have got me (apart from being able to wax lyrical about how great they are and how anyone who dismisses them is a stupid c**t)?

Plenty of things, but your two reasons are pretty good to be going on with.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I like MBs but from what it sounds like you're using it for I'd save the dosh.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Macbook Pro.

Buy one in June, new models will be out and you'll get a free ipod touch which brings down the price another £100. Dont forget applecare, the genius' might not be but for about £50 with student discount its not to be turned down!

Audi Q7, Avalanche
There are many many reasons to buy an Apple over a traditional Laptop, however, if all you are looking for is a portable general surfer than a standard laptop will do the job (maybe even an iPad), with the money saved buy a refurbished iMac and have an awesome home machine and one to casually use the internet.

Unfortunately there are people who simply buy into the 'cool' that is Apple and as such will only have Apple products, even though some of them are not much better than the cheaper alternative. However, the majority have loyalty due to experience and not advertising slogans.

I have a 24inch iMac, iPad, Macbook unibody and a few of the obligatory iPhone 4's... so i have love for the Apple products, however, they are an 'investment' due to their pricing structure but this pays off over the longterm for all the reasons stated in this thread. It's just a big outlay upfront rather than repairing a screen here, changing the heat sink there, replacing the hard drive etc... with a windows based laptop these are particularly standard issues and so over the life of the product the costs are pretty similar. It's just a case of how much hassle you want to deal with.

I had a top of the line Vaio, it was great! until the screen cracked, then the wireless board broke, then when replaced it wouldn't join any networks, then i replaced the hard drive twice lol All products have their lemons, but they are few and far between with Apple.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I was always a windows vaio laptop man.

Had a 17" that runs vista and hasn't crashed in over 3 years, I gave it hell and rarely rebooted it.

I've had a mac air for a couple of weeks and have had to power it off twice now for freezing on me.

All I was using on it was safari ad it wasn't the website which crashed it.....

Still love it, but they aren't as bullet proof as people make out IMO

1.2 16V 2005
I'm an Apple Engineer, I work for an Apple Premium Reseller. As some people have said a PC laptop will do the job, but you are virus prone ect ect ect... A MacBook will easilly do for what you need, a Pro would just be spending more money than you need too! Plus as said already it is true Apple have not shipped us any MBP's since December as an update is due. So DO NOT buy a new MBP atm! Battery life is also very good on the MB's!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Anymore.

The old MB (white plastic), with the exception of the case cracking issues, was much better built than my new pro imo. Felt a lot more solid and the keys were more responsive (although these have broken in a bit now).

I moved to apple about 5 years ago now, because I was fed up with windows, it really is s**t. I use it everyday at work and always say to myself (and colleagues to their annoyance) how the stuff we are doing would be simpler on a mac.

Initial outlay is more (not much if you compare fairly though), but it will last longer and even when its 3 years old still be worth 40%+ of its original value when a windows based machine will be worth pretty much nothing.

Rav4
Just had bad luck buddy.

My several macs have been awesome, never any issues.

If safari crashes, it can sometimes be the website, could have an infinite loop and thus crashing, or could just be that the macbook air thinks you're a windows lover ;)

I was always a windows vaio laptop man.

Had a 17" that runs vista and hasn't crashed in over 3 years, I gave it hell and rarely rebooted it.

I've had a mac air for a couple of weeks and have had to power it off twice now for freezing on me.

All I was using on it was safari ad it wasn't the website which crashed it.....

dk

911 GTS Cab
Just had bad luck buddy.

My several macs have been awesome, never any issues.

If safari crashes, it can sometimes be the website, could have an infinite loop and thus crashing, or could just be that the macbook air thinks you're a windows lover ;)

it was the whole laptop which crashed, not safari. just mentioned i was using safari in case anyone said it was the software i'd installed which could be the cause.

not a massive issue as its very quick to boot on an ssd, but to have 3 years of non crashing vista (people are always slating vista as being rubbish) and the my 2 week old one to have done it twice is not what i expected.

Just buy a normal Macbook, you dont need the pro. Yes it has more memory but i bought 2gb more ram for my macbook for like £40.

I run Protools and photoshop on my macbook and it has no problems! There arent many programs that it cannot handle!