ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Pro. 15" 2.4Ghz.

S2000 + E91 330D
Thinking about replacing my HP DV7-2230 for a new MacBook Pro.
I have a desktop which is my gaming rig, but no doubt i'll end up slapping diablo 3 on it, when it comes.
Anyone have any experience with these? Are they really that much better than Windows? ;)

work for BMW
After Being a windows fan boy my house mates raved about macs So I brought a mac book pro and it's unbelievable , miles ahead of windows , so much better in everyway

Clio 182
Everyone has summed it up really, but I will reiterate the point to hold off for a short while and see what the WWDC brings as most of the hardware is overdue an update so should be imminent!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Serious question as someone who has contemplated a MacBook but doesn't want to pay that much when the equivalent windows laptop is a lot cheaper, whats the big difference?

What I mean by that is how will it improve my life beyond what my pc already does apart from link seamlessly with my iPad and iPhone?

As a laptop OS it destroys Windows everywhere. The trackpad alone is worth any extra money over an equivalent Windows laptop. On top of that you have the exceptional build quality (my MB is 4 years old and still feels as tight as day one, can't say that about a plastic Dell/HP/Acer), I can still get £400 on eBay for it which you can't say about any other 4 year old laptop and the OS still feels very fast.

Think about it this way, your iPad and iPhone feels like the hardware and software were designed to fit together perfectly, it's exactly the same with an MB and OSX. You use one for a few weeks and you just think "why would you do this any other way than Apple have done it" then there will be a day where you have to use a Windows laptop and you will want to kill yourself.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What's so special about the trackpad? Also isn't windows designed to work on dell,acer etc. in the same way iOS was built to work on a MacBook?

Agree with you about build quality tho. The iPad iPhone and the misses' iPod really are lovely pieces of kit but I can't justify that much money over build quality. After all my 5 year old laptop still works, all be it a bit battered and bruised. Function over fashion etc.

work for BMW
The trackpad is what makes a MacBook!
Its so big and easy, you can do so many different things on it such as using two fingers to scroll, 1 finger tap to click, swipe left or right 2 fingers to go back and forwar in web pages, swipes to go into desktop or flick between apps..

The trackpad is perfection, there really is no other word for it. It includes gestures that work perfectly and are absolutely invaluable once you use them and is the exact level of friction for what it needs to do.

With a windows laptop Microsoft design the OS and the hardware and other pieces of software are made to fit around it. On a MacBook it's more that the hardware and software team worked together to make everything work right. It's hard to really explain the reasons why it feels this way without you having extensively used one.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh so the trackpad is a bit like a small iPad then lol.

Get what you mean now and it's going to be awkward to use one for a few weeks without buying one lol

Rav4
As a laptop OS it destroys Windows everywhere. The trackpad alone is worth any extra money over an equivalent Windows laptop. On top of that you have the exceptional build quality (my MB is 4 years old and still feels as tight as day one, can't say that about a plastic Dell/HP/Acer), I can still get £400 on eBay for it which you can't say about any other 4 year old laptop and the OS still feels very fast.

Think about it this way, your iPad and iPhone feels like the hardware and software were designed to fit together perfectly, it's exactly the same with an MB and OSX. You use one for a few weeks and you just think "why would you do this any other way than Apple have done it" then there will be a day where you have to use a Windows laptop and you will want to kill yourself.

Hardware wise and resell value totally agree. As for your comment about the OS, not true. If you compare Lion with Windows 7, they are actually rather similar within reason. Somethings Windows 7 does better, somethings OSX does better. Windows 7 does require more maintenance, but I would not say that Lion destroys Windows 7 (need to do like for like version comparisons here)

But as everyone has stated, it is a premium, I think it's worth it. The support alone is a great reason as to why you should get it, coupled with the resell value and the general feel for it. If you are worried about price and getting used to it, but a second hand one when the new ones come out.

Clio 182
Jaff I was in your shoes before making the switch and it took a friend of mine to buy me a secondhand macbook to try to see what it was about! If I was you I would buy a secondhand macbook, try it for a few weeks and go from there. If you then decide it is for you you can keep it or sale it to buy new. If you don't like it you can easily get back what you paid for it and no loss you've given it a try!

Beauty of apple products is they will always sale!

S3, Polo
I'd highly recommend one. The OS is actually magnificent and the multi-touch track-pad is a revelation - And, although there are some similarities between the platforms, using a windows-based laptop now feels a bit clunky and utilitarian in comparison.

I now have an uber Mac Pro for work so I'll be selling mine (15" MBP with a 750Gb drive, Purchased in Jan 2012 - Late 2011 model) at a very reasonable price, within the next month or so - PM me for more details. ;)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running a MacBook Pro also, they're great, those that moan about them generally haven't used one or can't afford one.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm may have to fork out for a second hand one once the car is done and have a go.

Now I need to think of an excuse as to why I need one to shut the misses up ha