ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Pro has but the dust

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Hey guys. My early 2011 mbp has died and I think it might be a logic board issue.

About 5 months ago it would occasionally not start and stay on a black screen with 3 beeps.

I found a guide online and found this to be a bad ram slot. So I’ve been running it with just 1 4gb of ram.
When using it the other day the screen went all pixelated and froze. I rest it and now back to the black screen and 3 beeps. So I’m taking it my other ram slot has now gone bad. My understanding is this is part of the logic board.

I’m not great with computers but hope I’ve explained it well.

Anyone got any ideas?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Same model as my old one, if you are on the original logic board you’ve done very well!

I had a new logic board fitted when it was 4.5 years old as it was a known issue (gpu issues, makes sense you had display issues), this lasted another 5 years but it finally gave up this year. The repair program has ended now but details below:

It still sold for £200 on eBay as faulty and I got a 16 inch pro, a very nice upgrade after almost 10 years!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve not used it much lately, but touch wood my early 2011 is still going ok on original board... :/

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im having issues with my MacBook Pro also but its down to hard drives.

Have a look at getting a newer second hand MacBook Pro.

There is one here on ebay for under £400

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Am I right in thinking 2012 was the last year you could change bits inside like ram and batteries etc?

I’ve been looking around at newer ones, but mine had a 750 gb hard drive. So will need another one with a large Hard drive. Which seems to make them very expensive

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
From memory, when they introduced the retina macs in 2012 (got rid of the disk drive etc) they started soldering everything to the logic board so it couldn’t be upgraded

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Am I right in thinking 2012 was the last year you could change bits inside like ram and batteries etc?

I’ve been looking around at newer ones, but mine had a 750 gb hard drive. So will need another one with a large Hard drive. Which seems to make them very expensive

From memory, when they introduced the retina macs in 2012 (got rid of the disk drive etc) they started soldering everything to the logic board so it couldn’t be upgraded

Sure this is correct Mid 2012 are the last of the PHATBooks, With these you can change hard drives, RAM and other parts.

I went form a Early 2010 to a MID 2012, took my 500gb SSD out my 2010 and put it in my 2012.

Im now taking all that out and putting a MX500 1TB SSD in my 2012 and a 120HDD in my optical drive and im running 16gb of RAM also.

If i was you rather than spending the best part of £2k on a new macbook i would look for a Mid 2012 Running a intelcore i7 2.9GHZ
If you need to change to an SSD i would stongly advise using the Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

If you are running a Cruical MX300 SSD in your macbook it needs a firmware update due to security hence why you can not get the MX300 now and the BX SSD's are budget items that are slightly cheaper.

Capture.JPG

Have a look at these couple

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Ma...893775?hash=item46b7a71f4f:g:rLkAAOSw2NxfiWsH

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Yep, mid 2012 were the last to allow upgrades.

They were sold new until early 2018/2019 though, so not all of them will actually be that old.