ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Pro OWNERS

Cup 172
Hi All,

sorry to bore you with a little background information - ive currently just paid off finance of my astra (now own a clio 172 outright :) ) i was paying £123 a month for that but now i have that spare each month that im not used to having i was thinking of getting a macbook Pro, ive always wanted one (with me being an IT nerd) i was looking at the financing options for 24 month contract its £47.50 a month so would still have an extra £70 in the bank a month that i never normally would. Me more than anyone understands how quick technology moves these days but What do you guys think F**K it and go for it?

Cup 172
yeah the APR is at 14.7% so at £1000 its £150 to pay back - i was thinking of the 0% credit card but only normally give u 12 months and CBA paying £120 a month lol

197ff, 172
I've got one, although the spec is lower than my laptop the mac is the only machine that gets used now. I've had it for nearly 2 years and it still looks and operates like new. It gets used a lot. I bought mine when I was a student so got a cracking discount, see if you can find a student and use their discount. I wouldn't finance one though. Changing to a Mac is not going to change your life, the cost cant really be justified. If you really must have one and cant save etc get a 0% credit card and get it paid off during the interest free period. Refurbished ones are a good buy if you can't get a student discount.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Finance on a laptop? Not worth it even a little bit.

If you can afford a MBP then buy one, if £1800 (not sure why anyone would consider anything but that screen) is a bit much for a laptop then get something else.

Cup 172
im sure the tesco near me even sell the Macbook's - would they offer the 16 month finance with this do you think?

Cup 172
yes i know that, but if i was to go into tesco and said i want this mac if its in stock can i have it on the 16 month 0% tesco card and be able to walk out the store the same day?

Cup 172
i think thats the gist of what everyones said so think ill stick with you guys, my 21st is coming up so might flutter my eye-lashes at mummy and daddy. want to get my head down with some PHP and web-development so would be ideal

I saved up and bought mine outright in April last yea (but now I want/neeeeed a retina display!). I would either do that, then while you're waiting you can see if any issues crop up with the first batch of the latest lineup refresh. Or can you get a credit card with 0% on purchases for 12 months say, pay that off monthly then move the balance to another 0% interest card. I do that with car insurance and all sorts

Cup 172
yeah i have a BMI card which i use to pay my car insurance off done that for the past 2 years they are a great idea. like i said my 21st is coming up so might just ask for cash ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
I bought mine on 10 months interest free, £180 a month, no point saving up and buying outright if you can get interest free.

E36 328
i think thats the gist of what everyones said so think ill stick with you guys, my 21st is coming up so might flutter my eye-lashes at mummy and daddy. want to get my head down with some PHP and web-development so would be ideal

IMO get a windows 7 laptop if it's development you want to do on it. I'm a php developer and got a macbook pro around christmas (got given it for being dev of the year at work, seeing as you asked) and although I love it, I find it annoying to develop on. Always use the desktop for that now.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
IMO get a windows 7 laptop if it's development you want to do on it. I'm a php developer and got a macbook pro around christmas (got given it for being dev of the year at work, seeing as you asked) and although I love it, I find it annoying to develop on. Always use the desktop for that now.

Your doing it wrong then! ;)

Spaces+fullscreen mode in lion makes development fricking awesome on a MBP.

I'd agree on anything prior to lion that development wasn't a very nice experience (especially ios apps) - but lion fixed that.

E36 328
Lol well each to their own I guess. I do like using mac os for browsing, and I prefer the general, more polished feel of the mac, but unfortunately there are just some things that just don't seem like they've been thought through enough. Example, not having a hash button...whut.

Also, something that annoys me in my chosen ide of netbeans, is when an alert comes up it comes up on my desktop. But when I click on the alert it switches to the netbeans space. Which means to get rid of the alert I have to click on it and then very quickly press enter before it switches to the other space. If you guys have an idea of a different ide to use in mac os though I would welcome any suggestions?

Also, I can't seem to find a way to cut and paste files?? Only copy and paste and then delete the original files?

All this though is probably because I'm on a windows machine for 8 hours a day working.

Do you guys prefer developing on a mac then as opposed to windows?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Lol well each to their own I guess. I do like using mac os for browsing, and I prefer the general, more polished feel of the mac, but unfortunately there are just some things that just don't seem like they've been thought through enough. Example, not having a hash button...whut.

Also, something that annoys me in my chosen ide of netbeans, is when an alert comes up it comes up on my desktop. But when I click on the alert it switches to the netbeans space. Which means to get rid of the alert I have to click on it and then very quickly press enter before it switches to the other space. If you guys have an idea of a different ide to use in mac os though I would welcome any suggestions?

Also, I can't seem to find a way to cut and paste files?? Only copy and paste and then delete the original files?

All this though is probably because I'm on a windows machine for 8 hours a day working.

That's all user error/inexperience not problems with the OS.

Command + x/c/v does the same thing as ctrl + x/c/v

The hash key is alt+3 on osx

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Theres your problem, netbeans.

It's written in java. Write once, run everywhere, horribly.

Java "desktop" applications are just plain nasty, they never behave as native applications should.

Oh and US keyboard is the only way to go if you're a programmer.

I use parallels a lot (full screen) - trackpad swipe and I'm in windows and another swipe and I'm back in mac OS or Xcode or whatever other full screen application I happen to be running.